F-4J (UK) Phantom

Shaun

Just finished the main painting on my F-4J.

F-4Jpainted2.jpg

F-4Jpainted1.jpg

Xtracolor used for the main colours, there was a surprising amount of masking needed for this scheme :o

Shaun

Edited by Shaun
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looking good Shaun! Mine's been a work in progress since I bought in 1996!

Regards.

Graham

Just finished the main painting on my F-4J.

Xtracolor used for the main colours, there was a surprising amount of masking needed for this scheme :o

Shaun

Edited by ghaynes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Phantom guys, Can I add this to the list of questions?

I have just bought a 1/48 Italeri F-4S, Eduard F-4S/J etch and 74 sqn xtradecals, naturally I am going to build it as a F-4J(UK).

So are there any external differences between the S & J(UK) that I should be aware of?

cheers

Simon

When the J's were refurbished they were officially brought up to 'S' standard except the fitting of leading edge slats, i.e. they retained the J's hard wing. Piccies above show this. Any other differences will be extremely minor and will need doing to a J as well as an S base kit, such as the small periscope fitted for the back seater.

I haven't seen the Italeri kit, but IIRC their 48th F-4E is a hard wing, it might be possible to switch the wings to produce a slatted E and a J(UK)? If you do bear in mind the E didn't have catapult recesses but (ex) Navy birds did so they'll need grinding out on the donor E wing and filling in on the slatted wing going on your E. Additionally, the wing fence on the S is longer, so will need shortening for an E (if Italeri got this right, of course)

Edited by Dr Evil

Thanks Dr. Much appreciated.

Didn't give the wings a thought, just looking at the kit now and not sure if will be possible to convert the kit to fixed leading edge. Looks like I may have to hunt down a E!

cheers

Simon

The reason Dr. E doesn't have an Italeri E is because he gave it to me!! Well, I assume that the Italeri E is the same plastic as the Esci kit he passed onto me. So, that's the first of the assumptions. If it is the same, then it has a hard wing. Unfortunately I don't have an Italeri S, but I do have an Esci C/D. The wings in the E are exactly the same as the C/D. So, assumption 2, if Esci just modified the C/D wing for the J & S kits (& indeed that it is the Esci kit in a different box), then they should fit. Hopefully someone with the Italeri kits will happen along, otherwise that's the best I can offer. And there's a whole lot of assumptions there....!!

keef

Edited by keefr22

Just got my mitts on an italeri E, for the record wings are basically identical except the E wing doesn't have the recesses underneath for the missiles. But only need to swap the upper surfaces by the look of it. So barring a few minor mods I should have no trouble doing the F-4J (UK) now!

Thanks again for all the help chaps.

cheers

Simon

• 1 month later...

A bit of a silly question really as I know the J(UK) was ex US Navy aircraft, but wanted to check anyway. I have the Tamiya Marine kit and looking at aftermarket for it from Eduard, do I go for the F-4 Exhaust Nozzles USN Late 632011 or USAF Late as I can't see any difference from the images on the Eduard site.

Many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

In the Xtradecal 74 Squadron set, what's with the T I G E R S Q N code letters? I don't see where or if they went on a Phantom.

They where the individual aircraft codes, carried on the tail and nose gear door.

"Tango" being the bosses bird with larger markings and a penant under the cockpit.

Shaun.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Going back to the original colour topic .... all will be revealed in Vol2 of the British Phantom to be released at Telford in November.

The overhauled aircraft were painted at NARF North Island in a glossy three-grey finish which attempted to match RAF specifications. The Barley Grey substitute for upper surfaces was close in appearance to Flint Gray and the Medium Sea Grey substitute for the inner upper wings was close to Neutral Grey, while the Light Aircraft Grey substitute for the lower surfaces was close to Light Gull Grey. Nine aircraft had an odd appearance, with the upper colour having a blue-turquoise tint. One oddity was ZE355/F904 ....

This was the result of a primer paint specification being misunderstood by the Mexican manufacturers. In the USA and on arrival in the UK, all carried a NARF F numbers starting with 901 on the forward facing nose gear door.

The colours were difficult to distinguish in less than ideal sunny conditions. All 15 had a dual coloured radome, with a horizontal grey division line on the lower portion of the radome. All aircraft were later repainted in the UK during deep maintenance with the standard primer and colours common to the FG.1 and FGR.2 three-grey air defence finish.

Pat Martin

• Like 1

Is this info from the book you mention?

Not all of the F-4J(UK)s were re-painted in standard RAF colours. Most weren't re-painted in fact.

Regards.

Graham

Going back to the original colour topic .... all will be revealed in Vol2 of the British Phantom to be released at Telford in November.

The overhauled aircraft were painted at NARF North Island in a glossy three-grey finish which attempted to match RAF specifications. The Barley Grey substitute for upper surfaces was close in appearance to Flint Gray and the Medium Sea Grey substitute for the inner upper wings was close to Neutral Grey, while the Light Aircraft Grey substitute for the lower surfaces was close to Light Gull Grey. Nine aircraft had an odd appearance, with the upper colour having a blue-turquoise tint. One oddity was ZE355/F904 ....

This was the result of a primer paint specification being misunderstood by the Mexican manufacturers. In the USA and on arrival in the UK, all carried a NARF F numbers starting with 901 on the forward facing nose gear door.

The colours were difficult to distinguish in less than ideal sunny conditions. All 15 had a dual coloured radome, with a horizontal grey division line on the lower portion of the radome. All aircraft were later repainted in the UK during deep maintenance with the standard primer and colours common to the FG.1 and FGR.2 three-grey air defence finish.

Pat Martin