F-4J (UK) Phantom

Shaun

Can someone provide a photo of a model painted in this colour?, I've got a few blues in the racks but there too blue.

I haven't got a any X127 in stock.

Hi Shaun,

I built this Hasegawa 1/72 F-4J in X-127 a few years back, I think I might of lightened it with a bit of gloss white for scale effect, i think it a pretty close match.

F-4JUK005.jpg

HTH

Rich

Xtracolour 127 is a perfect match...

Two bits of F4J's that i have..

you can see the paint difference ...

Picture030.jpg

Cheers,

Neil

Sorry am i missing the point here????? Xtracolour 127...

Edited by neilfgr2

Xtracolour 127

Any Idea of the numbers for Tamiya paints? they have so many grey's they must have a match.

Xtracolour 127

Humbrol 165 must be pretty close, not sure though...

Thinking about it though, I reckon you should go with Neils' Xtracolour 127.

Edited by Doug Rogers

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Shaun,

I built this Hasegawa 1/72 F-4J in X-127 a few years back, I think I might of lightened it with a bit of gloss white for scale effect, i think it a pretty close match.

F-4JUK005.jpg

HTH

Rich

That looks good!, problem is that Hannants are out of stock of X127!

Shaun, there's a lifecolor acrylic that gives a very similar finish to Rich F's lovely build - it's UA124 Japan Greygreen A5. One of our club members did a 1/32 74 sqn F-4J in that paint, & it looked very good!

Keef

Shaun, there's a lifecolor acrylic that gives a very similar finish to Rich F's lovely build - it's UA124 Japan Greygreen A5. One of our club members did a 1/32 74 sqn F-4J in that paint, & it looked very good!

Keef

Gavin's F-4J looked good, maybe try that route. Do you know what other paints he used for the two other gray shades?

Edited by Shaun

Gavin's F-4J looked good, maybe try that route. Do what other paints he used for the two other gray shades?

Hi Shaun,

I don't sorry, but I'll e-mail & ask him if he can remember (unless he reads this thread first!)

Keef

Picked up a tin of X127 at Cosford yesterday and a bottle of Lifecolour UA124 to later discover they both marked as FS*5414.

I'll give both a test shot and see what the results are.

At least I've now got loads of light blue paints for future aggressor projects :rolleyes:

Shaun.

Picked up a tin of X127 at Cosford yesterday and a bottle of Lifecolour UA124 to later discover they both marked as FS*5414.

I'll give both a test shot and see what the results are.

At least I've now got loads of light blue paints for future aggressor projects :rolleyes:

Shaun.

Gav said he saw you at Cosford - did you ask him what other greys he used? He didn't answer my e-mail, so if you still want to know I'll ask him at the club meeting on Wednesday (& give him a slap for not answering e-mails too....!!!)

Keef

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have 2 questions concerning the F-4J(UK) -

1) As built, the F-4J had catapult bridle hooks at the wing roots. When they were operated by the RAF, did those bridle hooks remain in-place, get removed, or faired-over with a cover?

2) I've read that several F-4J(UK)s were repainted after becoming operational with the RAF. (Which I assume to be Barley Grey, Light Aircraft Grey, and Medium Sea Grey Can anyone provide the FS equivalents of the "properly" repainted colours? (I'm on the other side of the pond, Humbrol and Xtracolor/crylic is harder to find here than Tamiya colours.)

Thanks!

EDIT - Changed "grAy" to "grEy" and "colors" to "coloUrs".

Edited by John B

John,

hooks were removed prior to delivery just leaving the recesses.

As for RAF colours, you've got the right greys listed, but obviously the controversy over the original colours comes from using FS equivalents..!

Officially the closest matches were 36270, 36314 and 36440 for Med, Barley & light greys repectively. Bit of mixing probably required.

Quickest way to tell a repainted J will be the stencils and serial number. Originals had low viz grey stencils and big blocky serials, repainted jets had colour stencils and correct RAF style serial font.

John,

hooks were removed prior to delivery just leaving the recesses.

As for RAF colours, you've got the right greys listed, but obviously the controversy over the original colours comes from using FS equivalents..!

Officially the closest matches were 36270, 36314 and 36440 for Med, Barley & light greys repectively. Bit of mixing probably required.

Quickest way to tell a repainted J will be the stencils and serial number. Originals had low viz grey stencils and big blocky serials, repainted jets had colour stencils and correct RAF style serial font.

To quote the Aeroguide book, repainted jet in 1988 where-

ZE356,ZE360,ZE361

Look for the full colour Ejection seat markings on repainted jets.

This seems like a good place to ask: Did they continue to use standard J-style wheels? I know that the USAF wheels (mains?) were different, so thought I'd better check, and it is awfully hard to find a photo that shows the mains well enough to see anything.

bob

• 3 weeks later...

Your logic is sound, Bob! J, K, M, S and thick wing RF-4B's all used the same main wheel hub design, so yep, J(UK)'s used the same as the rest of the British fleet too. British used J type wheels as that was the base model for our K & M.

• 1 month later...

As I have a Tamiya F-4J kit I want to build as an RAF 74 Squadron aircraft I've found this thread interesting and when I was looking through my old photos I came accross this so I thought I'd share it. Sorry for the poor quality of the pic. It was in the days before I had a digital SLR and had to make do with a cheap focus free camera.

It was taken at RAF Finningley in the early 90s and shows the aircraft wearing high vis stencils I'm presuming this is a repainted aircraft. However the nose radome looks like its sporting the original finish and shows the difference in shade nicely.

6796229212_993ea66bc3_m.jpg

Phantom F-4J (UK) RAF Finningley Airshow by Marks CVS, on Flickr

I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask this but I was wondering if any changes need making to the Tamiya kit to represent the UK version? A couple of things I've spotted so far are the strip lights and the strengthening plates on the underside but any other information would be appreciated.