1/48 Mig-29AS - Slovakian Air Force. Finished 30/6

DaveJL

Hello all,

I've been looking forward to this GB for some time and having recently been to both the Czech Republic and Slovakia, i've decided to build 2 jets from those nations' air forces.  Here we have a 1/48 GWH Mig-29 9-12 late type, which will be marked as an AS model of the Slovakian Air Force:

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_MiG-29_Slovakian_Digital_Thunder_Camo_lg.jpg

Kit:

38420725571_c86f4f9257_b.jpg

38420723511_1eb36748c0_b.jpg

Extras:

38364957566_bc0c556463_b.jpg

Will be using Quickboost seat and FOD covers, along with an Academy donor kit for the Slovakian specific antennae, but mainly for these:

38364949216_350e8b8091_b.jpg

38364939796_02f026194e_b.jpg

Hope they fit! The reason i'm using the GWH kit, as opposed to the Academy kit, is simply the former just looks that much better. I would need a lot more AM for the Academy kit (nosecone, cockpit etc) which pushes the price up close to that of the GWH kit. Hope it builds as good as it looks!

Dave

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my newbieness is the digital camo really a set of water slide decals? That looks near impossible to fit, you are brave, i struggle with anything bigger than national insignia would love to attempt these schemes but I think this is beyond me, but I can't wait to see your MiGs and as Basilek says they will look awesome together..

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Great and challenging!

There is also a more colorful scheme with red blue and white fins !

Saw that mate!

My biggest worry is that the Academy decals won't fit the GWH kit!

1 hour ago, DaveJL said:

Saw that mate!

My biggest worry is that the Academy decals won't fit the GWH kit!

They will be fitable somehow! The biggest problem areas I'd see is the left wing and the right fin.... also take care with the fin tip di-electric parts! They probably should be painted before putting on the decals ;)

Abd I'd cut the decals for rudders, flaps and ailerons in ordrr to achieve a relatively god fit. Those parts are all seperat in the GWH Fulcrum!

Looking firwart to your solutions!

Hint: there is also a MiG-29 GB later this year I think!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2017 at 10:21 PM, exdraken said:

They will be fitable somehow! The biggest problem areas I'd see is the left wing and the right fin.... also take care with the fin tip di-electric parts! They probably should be painted before putting on the decals ;)

Abd I'd cut the decals for rudders, flaps and ailerons in ordrr to achieve a relatively god fit. Those parts are all seperat in the GWH Fulcrum!

Looking firwart to your solutions!

Hint: there is also a MiG-29 GB later this year I think!

Exactly my thoughts mate! I'll go with the flow and cross each bridge as I come to it!

Indeed, I've 2 schemes planned for that GB!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Indeed, I've 2 schemes planned for that GB!

I can't like this 2 times unfortunately ;)

:thumbsup:

I just ordeted a GWH early 9.12...

Or I do one from the stash....

27 minutes ago, exdraken said:

I can't like this 2 times unfortunately ;)

:thumbsup:

I just ordeted a GWH early 9.12...

Or I do one from the stash....

2 late types for me - Polish and Hungarian...

• 4 weeks later...

Made a start on this today. Added the upper intakes and some etch, along with the IFF 'bird slicer' antennae found on the Slovakian jets. These parts were taken from the donor Academy kit:

IMG_3457_zpssdjaz2l3.jpg

IMG_3459_zpskywa9sqq.jpg

I then moved on and assembled the cockpit. It was then painted, given a wash and the IP had the instrument decals added:

IMG_3462_zpsg3ka16dz.jpg

IMG_3463_zpssbjkg5ba.jpg

IMG_3464_zpsnjfcj3ei.jpg

Once all that had dried, it was fitted to the upper fuselage:

IMG_3471_zpssdkbgoab.jpg

Landing gear bays were also build up, painted and given a wash. They were a bit of a bugger to fit:

IMG_3469_zpskjhyswqk.jpg

Tail fins with rudders attached:

IMG_3470_zpsavlzol5z.jpg

The one piece missiles. These are simply a work of art:

IMG_3468_zpslhpekywf.jpg

I'm going to leave them on the sprue for ease of painting. Thoughts so far - lovely detail, it really is fantastic but the fit of the main landing gear bays is a bit iffy.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 2

More done today. Firstly I built up the Quickboost seat. A test fit revealed it was too wide to fit into the tub, so some shaving on each side was required:

26642370009_c0d4f3d80a_b.jpg

I then moved on to the intakes. Filler is required:

38362993116_4c6b6440d8_b.jpg

Thank goodness the insides will be covered up by the jets own intake ramps and the Quickboost FOD covers. Next, i tackled the engines/exhausts. having read a few build reviews on this kit and noting that the full engine assembly creates fit issues with the intake trunking, I will only install the rearmost section. Internals were painted Tamiya Metallic grey, dry brushed with Tamiya Dark Iron and dusted with some pigment. Exterior still needs to be painted and sry brushed:

38418795061_d5cb430530_b.jpg

Now onto the airframe. Both halves were added along with the tail fins to start. The fit of the latter part takes some fettling and in the end a line of filler is required on the underside. The forward strakes are also labelled incorrectly in the instructions. H1 should be the left, and H6 the right - the instructions show these about face.  I also changed the upper intake ramps, as most of the pictures of the Mig -29 I have seen on the ground show these in the fully closed position. Nose cone was also added and required a small bit of filler:

38418789231_aff3a3d19c_b.jpg

37704358524_e78c3c2ed1_b.jpg

26642343579_099bbabcba_b.jpg

I'm enjoying the kit so far, the detail is fantastic, but it does have it's fit issues, not something one would like for a £50 kit, but then again, they can't all fall together like the Tamiya F-14 ;)

More soon.

Dave

• Like 3

Thanks chaps.

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I'm surprised by the fit issues and amount of filler you are having to use, especially considering the cost of the kit.

Me too, it's not the worst but one would expect better for a brand new tooling. I've read a few build reviews and they all seem to show the intakes, fins and trunking being a bit tricky. Won't stop me from building more I  have to say (I've at least another two 9-12s planned) as the GWH kit is huge step up from the Academy kit.

Good start again Dave. Like others have said I am too surprised with the fit of some of the parts. I do have one of these up in the stash and will be building it for the MiG-29 GB.

Thanks mate.

I'm glad I took a look at some previous build threads to get tips for the assembly, especially around the fins and intakes. The nose area really isn't too bad at all, but i am expecting a bit of a battle with the intakes and trunking.

• Like 1

Great progress with lots of attention to details :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, DaveJL said:

I'm glad I took a look at some previous build threads to get tips for the assembly, especially around the fins and intakes. The nose area really isn't too bad at all, but i am expecting a bit of a battle with the intakes and trunking.

I find build threads from other people a great way to learn all about pitfalls kits have and how to avoid them. I read as many of these kind of threads as I can find before I cut plastic.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 2

Good job so far dave, it does look like  fantastic detail on the kit those lines and rivets will take a wash really well I'll bet, the gear bays look good too

Glynn

Thanks chaps. The detail is very good. The fit issues won't put me off getting more of these kits. I'm considering a SMT boxing marked as an Indian UPG along with another couple of 9-12s.

On 6/4/2017 at 0:49 PM, DaveJL said:

Thanks chaps. The detail is very good. The fit issues won't put me off getting more of these kits. I'm considering a SMT boxing marked as an Indian UPG along with another couple of 9-12s.

Love the MiG SMT. Can't wait to see this one come on first