British racing green vintage racers.

Borez

I was talking to Ms Borez the other day and, seeing how I was building scale models, she'd like something British racing green for the living room. I immediately thought Jaguar C type.

But... I've been looking at 1/24th models and there doesn't seem to be a great deal out there, so anyone have any ideas on Jaguar C type kits or similar vintage racing cars in this scale? I'd prefer plastic at the moment ( due to my skill level ) but I'd look into resin kits too.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Borez

Not a racing car but Revell makes a Jaguar XKSS,

There was a Jaguar D-type by Minicraft. You'd need to search 2nd hand lists for that one.

Minicraft also did a Triumph TR3A

or a Tamiya Lotus 7

More vintage Revell & Heller share issuing a 4.5L Blower Bentley

Thats in plastic.

South East FineCast do a range of classic and vintage cars in white metal.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Contents.htm

Of course a more obvious answer is you can paint any car BRG [as long as its post 1903]

• Like 1

In 1/24, (or any scale really,) there's very little in the way of classic sports racers in plastic.

They are a great favourite of mine too - hence my big scratch builds.

I can't add to much the plastic ones already listed, other than Hellers E Type Jaguar - stay away from the Revell one in 1/24 - it's terrible.

Gunze Sangyo also did an E Type roadster, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lotus Elan, Frogeye Sprite and Triumph TR2 - all as either curbside, or high-detail with lots of metal and etch parts.

They pop up on E bay quite often and not too-daft money.

In the resin area there are quite a few at 1/24 but you'll be looking at £100+ even as a starter.

If you go down the C, D or E Type route - in any scale - I've got tons of reference if you need any.

Roy.

• Like 1

In 1/24, (or any scale really,) there's very little in the way of classic sports racers in plastic.

They are a great favourite of mine too - hence my big scratch builds.

I can't add to much the plastic ones already listed, other than Hellers E Type Jaguar - stay away from the Revell one in 1/24 - it's terrible.

Gunze Sangyo also did an E Type roadster, Ferrari 250 GTO, Lotus Elan, Frogeye Sprite and Triumph TR2 - all as either curbside, or high-detail with lots of metal and etch parts.

They pop up on E bay quite often and not too-daft money.

In the resin area there are quite a few at 1/24 but you'll be looking at £100+ even as a starter.

If you go down the C, D or E Type route - in any scale - I've got tons of reference if you need any.

Roy.

Thanks Roy, and thanks all.

Have you seen any C type resin kits anywhere?

A Triumph TR2 or TR3 would be perfect. The Gunze TR2 and the Minicraft TR3 both look interesting. I'll follow an ebay search over the next couple of months and see what comes up.

Maybe I should just buy a Ferrari and spray it BRG ( Oh the sacrilege! )

Edited by Borez

Actually, there were a few 250 GTO's that raced in green.

Can't remember who though.

And yes - there is a 1/24 C Type from KR models:

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/searchdetail.php?ref=KAR151&/K-&-R-Replicas-1:43-Jaguar-C-Type-model

They also make a D Type:

http://www.grandprixmodels.co.uk/searchdetail.php?ref=KAR2413&/K-&-R-Replicas-1:24-Jaguar-D-Type-model

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack
  • Like 1

A Triumph TR2 or TR3 would be perfect. The Gunze TR2 and the Minicraft TR3 both look interesting. I'll follow an ebay search over the next couple of months and see what comes up.

Kingkit has the Minicraft TR3A in stock right now.

• Like 1

Kingkit has the Minicraft TR3A in stock right now.

Thanks, I'm looking at the Minicraft TR3, seemingly it's still a current kit with Minicraft so there's plenty around. Very basic though.

Quite fancy building a Fujimi Ferrari 250 GTO in BRG.

I dunno, we'll see. ;)

Hello Borez,

David Piper raced a green 250 GTO although it was a medium green, same colour as the BP logo of the day. Peter Sutcliffe raced the same car later and had it repainted in a dark metallic green. Both versions had alterations to the roof-line.

Here's a link to K&R : https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=k%26r+replicas Roy's link is to K&R's 1/43 kit. They do an XJ13 and an XK120 plus an Austin Healey 3000 but all their kits are now metal. The 1/24 C and D types were originally in resin.

In plastic and in 1/24, Tamiya did a Morgan, Revell did an XK120 and Monogram did a nice little MG TC. Also, in 1/25, Revell did a Healey 100/6 which is good shape-wise but has awful wheels. The latest re-run has the original plastic wheels and tyres which are the right size but could do with re-spoking. Aoshima or Gunze did an MG B which was released under the Airfix label as was Gunze's E type.

I wish Tamiya would issue more of the classics but at the rate of one a year it'll take a long, long time to see anything like the C-Type or XK120 - if ever...............

Dave

• Like 1

Hello Borez,

David Piper raced a green 250 GTO although it was a medium green, same colour as the BP logo of the day. Peter Sutcliffe raced the same car later and had it repainted in a dark metallic green. Both versions had alterations to the roof-line.

Here's a link to K&R : https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=k%26r+replicas Roy's link is to K&R's 1/43 kit. They do an XJ13 and an XK120 plus an Austin Healey 3000 but all their kits are now metal. The 1/24 C and D types were originally in resin.

In plastic and in 1/24, Tamiya did a Morgan, Revell did an XK120 and Monogram did a nice little MG TC. Also, in 1/25, Revell did a Healey 100/6 which is good shape-wise but has awful wheels. The latest re-run has the original plastic wheels and tyres which are the right size but could do with re-spoking. Aoshima or Gunze did an MG B which was released under the Airfix label as was Gunze's E type.

I wish Tamiya would issue more of the classics but at the rate of one a year it'll take a long, long time to see anything like the C-Type or XK120 - if ever...............

Dave

Thanks for the info.

I would presume that the market that Tamiya once had in static scale models is not what it used to be as people have moved on to RC cars nowadays so they just don't make as many.

I'd love to see a Tamiya Porsche 919 kit myself.

• Like 1

Merit produced a number of 1/24 sports/racing cars. From memory. they had a Vanwall, BRM, Jaguar type D, Lotus Eleven, Aston Marin DB3, Connaught and a Cooper Norton 500. They also had a good selection of non-UK cars - Ferrari, Maserati, Talbot Lago. All were generally based on 1950's originals.

They are a bit crude by modern standards but most of them look very good shape-wise, and offer plenty of opportunities for detailing. The biggest disappointment is usually the wheels. Spoked wheels are represented by a decal fitted onto a clear circular piece. Not terribly convincing...

The kits are long out of production but turn up on eBay pretty regularly. Some of the prices are a bit eye-watering but a little patience will generally find the more commonplace kits at about £15-20.

• Like 2

Gunze Sangyo made very nice Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite, E-Type Jaguar and Lotus Elan S3 kits in 1/24th. You can find them on E-Bay. The regular Sprite and Elan kits ($45-$60 US) are not too expensive but the Jaguar kits go for for more and add more for the Hi Tech version of any of them.

Forgot to mention Profil 24. Resin and fairly expensive but they do a Lotus Elite and an 11, Aston Martin DBR1, DB2, DP214 and a special bodied E Type Lightweight - 49 FXN.

Also forgot the Revell Jaguar XKSS which is a D Type for the road. It's more accurate than the old Merit kit (body has the proper taper from front to back) and has full engine detail. It's a decent kit.

Dave

Do Ralph Lauren's XK120 using the relatively easily available Revell kit:

800px-1950_Jaguar_XK120_34.jpg

...they don't come much more iconically British, and Racing Green, than that...

bestest,

M.

Oh, now that's nice. Not that easy to get hold of though by the looks of it, I'll have to have a hunt around.

Edited by Borez

Has anyone here built or seen a review of the Gunze TR2 kit mentioned and mind sharing their thoughts on the quality of the kit? Would quite like to build one for my father.

Hello Alimckali,

I've got one of the Gunze Hi Tech kits which I've started but not yet finished.

The shape seems pretty reasonable and I think you can produce a very nice model although I'd locate some good drawings before you start - Gunze don't always do their homework. The grille on the TR3 isn't right for instance.

Overall, it's a good kit but the engineering leaves a lot to be desired. The p/e chassis isn't really necessary and many of the metal bits (not white metal incidentally but diecast and therefore hard to work and brittle) would be as good or better in plastic. Personally, I don't like the rubbery bits used for the interior trim but some folks don't mind them. Finally the tyres aren't brilliant but it's not hard to find something better from maybe Renaissance or Profil.

On the plus side, there's a lot of very good and useful p/e and the body's well moulded.

With a little work you should have a nice model - go for it!

Dave

The only C type kit in 24th scale I know of was by Provence Moulage, released many years ago and now as rare as a rare thing.

Stu,

I don't think Provence ever did a C Type in 1/24. They did a D Type in Ecurie Ecosse colours in that scale. I built one in the '90s. As I remember it was a nice moulding but looked a little pointy at the front. It was curbside only.

I think the Fisher Resin D Type, also curbside, had the better shape and that's still available albeit at over £90 from the States.

Dave

Stu,

I don't think Provence ever did a C Type in 1/24. They did a D Type in Ecurie Ecosse colours in that scale. I built one in the '90s. As I remember it was a nice moulding but looked a little pointy at the front. It was curbside only.

I think the Fisher Resin D Type, also curbside, had the better shape and that's still available albeit at over £90 from the States.

Dave

Maybe the Provence D Type was the long nose version...

Maybe the Provence D Type was the long nose version...

Hi Roy,

It was but then so was Fishers which I still reckon looks better of the two..............

I made it for someone else so I didn't compare it to drawings because I'd no intention of modifying it. I think the length of the nose is OK but it curves under too rapidly from the front of the wheel-arch. It looks OK from some angles, not others.

Dave

Stu,

Dave

Dave, see the link below for the Provence C-type, the only one I've ever seen for sale.

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewLot.aspx?LotId=609522

I believe that Provence cast it for K and R replicas rather than under their own brand.

I have the Provence D-type, it's nice but will need a lot of work.

Cheers,

Stuart

Edited by Stu_davros

Hello Alimckali,

I've got one of the Gunze Hi Tech kits which I've started but not yet finished.

The shape seems pretty reasonable and I think you can produce a very nice model although I'd locate some good drawings before you start - Gunze don't always do their homework. The grille on the TR3 isn't right for instance.

Overall, it's a good kit but the engineering leaves a lot to be desired. The p/e chassis isn't really necessary and many of the metal bits (not white metal incidentally but diecast and therefore hard to work and brittle) would be as good or better in plastic. Personally, I don't like the rubbery bits used for the interior trim but some folks don't mind them. Finally the tyres aren't brilliant but it's not hard to find something better from maybe Renaissance or Profil.

On the plus side, there's a lot of very good and useful p/e and the body's well moulded.

With a little work you should have a nice model - go for it!

Dave

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply. I'd be interested to follow a build log if you have one or at least see the final pictures when you're done.

Luckily I have access to a BRG TR2 for building up a detailed library of shots, but I will need to be covert in my picture taking!

What do you mean by "p/e"?

I sense a positive opinion overall though from you so I shall keep my eye out on eBay. Many thanks.

Al