Looking good buddy, the basic kit looks to quite crisp!

Dumb question, what does TOGs stand for?

Kev

Cheers Kev,

It stands for "Thermal Observation Gunnery Sight systems" fella.

Dan

• Like 2

I know I pinged you this the other day, but you did say if you had any piccies to share them. Given when this was taken, its too good an opportunity not to post it

FullSizeRender_zpsmqgqigpv.jpg

As I'm old and the memory is going a bit, I am 99% certain this was 1983, so this is one just as it came into service. Its the only one I took of it when it whizzed by. I was in a mortar pit at the time (as you do).

• Like 2

I know I pinged you this the other day, but you did say if you had any piccies to share them. Given when this was taken, its too good an opportunity not to post it

FullSizeRender_zpsmqgqigpv.jpg

As I'm old and the memory is going a bit, I am 99% certain this was 1983, so this is one just as it came into service. Its the only one I took of it when it whizzed by. I was in a mortar pit at the time (as you do).

Any photos are more than welcome, more the merrier so if anyone has any pix of the chally then pop them up :-)

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/nickflack/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10923687_10153074247072059_1789161776524644256_o_zpstxvgvmek.jpg.html

Don't often post pics, so hopefully this has worked!

This is my trusty steed for OP Granby, taken from afar during the ground war phase.

The rear end is black due to the fitting of the very new Smoke Generator.!

Enjoy!

Nick

Edited by Widow 65
  • Like 1

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/nickflack/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10923687_10153074247072059_1789161776524644256_o_zpstxvgvmek.jpg.html

Don't often post pics, so hopefully this has worked!

This is my trusty steed for OP Granby, taken from afar during the ground war phase.

The rear end is black due to the fitting of the very new Smoke Generator.!

Enjoy!

Nick

Cheers Nick,

A couple of great pix fella, one question, the box on the turret side bin, not seen one like that before ?

Regards

Dan

Dan

I guess the first thing you have to realise is that every Challenger was slightly different "stowage wise". Every crew attempted to gain more stowage in any way they could as the vehicle wasn't very "stowage" friendly for anything more than the vehicle tool kit!

So inevitably each tank was different in its looks.

Some generic "crew designed stowage" was as you will depict on your model, i.e. the Chieftain long bin on the left hand side of the turret, but there are other stowage options are available.

The bin that is attached to the side of most turrets, next to the TOGS barbette, originally belonged to the Ferret scout car! it was turned around and Hey Presto, more stowage.

As with the little box attached to my vehicle in the photo, that is a smoke grenade stowage box. On the opposite side of "our turret" was a crudely designed basket because we couldn't get hold of a Chieftain long bin.

You will notice too that the jerry can holder is bolted to the Bin and not the TOGS compressor compartment as per your model/other vehicles.

These unofficial modifications to the vehicles made them look like and were commonly referred to as Gypsy wagons due to loads of bits all over the place. After OP Granby an official bin modification appeared and the Ferret Bin was replaced by a less waterproof open basket as was the Chieftain long bin on the other side of the turret. Other modifications remained like the jerry can holder as this was spot welded onto the TOGS compartment.

I will post more pics of my particular vehicle soon, when i get to my computer at home.

Yet again, i hope this is of some use to you.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick,

That really helps out with some of the finer details now. I heard about the lack of stowage of the Chally

but didn't realise it was that bad and now you come to mention it I recall seeing some chally 1's with 432 bins

bolted on to the turret whilst on exercise in Soltau.

So now the decision on which bins to use, the chieftain side bin or the wire bin?

So onto the build, sponson undersides being added from Plastic card and other odds of stock.

CIMG5222_zpss2c2m1bl.jpg

CIMG5223_zpsfvfu4ffb.jpg

Sprockets filled and sanded

CIMG5224_zpsrao7iqrr.jpg

And the sponson underside in place, a little more fettling to get it right.

CIMG5225_zpsozivrkyd.jpg

CIMG5226_zpsen4azswc.jpg

Enjoy

Dan

• Like 5

Looks good Dan... very nice work indeed. :) Are you using the rubber-band tracks on this one then, or were they just station-keepers?

Looks good Dan... very nice work indeed. :) Are you using the rubber-band tracks on this one then, or were they just station-keepers?

As you say Mike, just station keepers fella, still got to assemble the friul tracks.

Dan

Dan,

A few more from my collection spanning the years.

This was the other type of bin that we had during Granby instead of the Chieftain long bin.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p514/nickflack/2012-05-02_65_zpsxzobckbd.jpg

Another difference in the stowage options on the Tp Ldr's tank

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p514/nickflack/2012-05-02_101_zpsyntk4k7z.jpg

more to follow

Nick

Post Granby this time, so the Mk 3 in Green and black!

On Ranges on Germany, a lot of hard work put into making the vehicle look pretty for firing (me not blacked out in the photo as the Tp Ldr's gunner)

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p514/nickflack/ba83287c-c82a-4efd-bc35-d27c5dda9c35_zpspx08qk20.jpg

Close up of the "Brains" side of the turret exterior!

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p514/nickflack/69734c16-aa84-4e38-8250-b629da8d2d37_zps7teozrkw.jpg

Cheers for sharing those phots Nick, they will be a great help on the detailing of my build fella.

I've already seen a few things that need to added and changed to the tamiya kit.

Cheers

Dan

Only a small update on the weeks progress.

TOGs door, some missing bolts added and the clean up of the loaders hatch.

CIMG5227_zpsaoywukrq.jpg

Green cast clear resin cupola for the commander, some careful masking is required for this with the PE wipers being added last.

CIMG5228_zpscdmqepzl.jpg

CIMG5229_zps122podiu.jpg

CIMG5230_zpsk7wlrdpl.jpg

CIMG5231_zpsejfziy0p.jpg

More work on the TOG's barbette , hopefully more done today.

CIMG5232_zpsxth09h8r.jpg

Enjoy

Dan

• Like 1

Armed with some decent photos I've removed the Jerrycan

holder on the turret side, Its been bugging me for a while as I've only seen

one Chally with the holder canted to one side which is how Tamiya have depicted

the kit. With Widow 65 photos I've removed the holder and brackets and will

put them back on so that the bracket is vertical.

CIMG5233_zps8w3d0cdf.jpg

CIMG5234_zpsiqgso7mf.jpg

CIMG5235_zpsuvc3bjjm.jpg

More to follow

Dan

• Like 1

More great work, where's the resin vision block from?

Cheers Phil, They are home made fella just a copy of the kit part.

Such a simple and obvious idea when you think of it - thanks for sharing it.

Edited by Richard E

Cheers Chaps,

So the business end of the TOG's Barbette, the TISH head, i couldn't find many photos

of this bit of kit so its probably not too accurate, just need to add the PE wiper blade to the lens.

Most pictures I have seen show this to be green with a gloss black lens so that's what I'll replicate,

Sorry for the poor photo's I think my camera is getting little old.

CIMG5248_zpshcwvapbv.jpg

CIMG5249_zpshyygykl9.jpg

CIMG5251_zpsldnbxhf9.jpg

CIMG5252_zpskxojqupy.jpg

CIMG5254_zpsdrq5kbi8.jpg

CIMG5256_zpsd98qizbw.jpg

CIMG5257_zpsc7fivxff.jpg

CIMG5258_zpsx4frkwji.jpg

CIMG5259_zps1v0wzg4r.jpg

Enjoy

Dan

• Like 1

Some reinforcement Strips around the TOGS Barbette,

Must thank Widow 65 for the great pictures that he posted to get this missing detail.

Still needs trimming up and a bit more fettling.

CIMG5260_zpsyhp7ui5w.jpg

CIMG5261_zpsr5zwuj1t.jpg

CIMG5262_zpsrniihmsd.jpg

CIMG5263_zpsremrpnxz.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• Like 3