Thanks Roger,

So onto the corrections with the Tamiya kit, from the Box a few things need to be looked

at if you are going to build a semi accurate model, the front Armour is wrong for a production

Tank, its just the cheeks that require packing out with plastic card. So here's my attempt at

putting it right.

Tape template.

CIMG5169_zpsyyfbasoo.jpg

Rough cut the card.

CIMG5168_zps5wmblwrv.jpg

Test fitting

CIMG5167_zps376abd6f.jpg

CIMG5170_zpsp3j1xkza.jpg

More work is required to get it settled into place but it should be an easy fix.

More details done on the turret.

CIMG5171_zpsn9k89ahl.jpg

CIMG5172_zpsxvuaqxng.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• Like 3

Front end almost done, need to reinstate the welds

but its 80% done.

CIMG5175_zps8hxotuug.jpg

CIMG5177_zps2myp1mi2.jpg

CIMG5181_zpsmx2egk8k.jpg

CIMG5182_zpstahkejfd.jpg

I scribed under the grills of the exhaust to add some depth.

CIMG5178_zpsgrvdqmgo.jpg

3 bumps on the turret added, not sure why they are there but they are ?

CIMG5179_zpsfnzmam7l.jpg

Some strip under the jerrycan holder

CIMG5180_zpspfzhcr4u.jpg

Cheers for looking

Dan

• Like 2

Moving on :fight:

More plastic card and strip being used to add missing details.

CIMG5183_zpsqbawikec.jpg

CIMG5184_zpspyhjxagp.jpg

CIMG5185_zpsicsuxxjy.jpg

CIMG5186_zpsutrwhe6z.jpg

Missing bolts on the front end, one is track tension on the front idler and the other must be for the dozer blade.

CIMG5187_zps0wse8l3c.jpg

CIMG5188_zps7cnizipp.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• Like 2

It's a joy to watch you at work.

Cheers Fella :winkgrin:

Welds have been redone the front deck, the kits welds got a bit lost after sanding the added armour

on the front. These have been redone using stretched sprue and Tamiya Extra thin glue.

CIMG5194_zpszkcg11ky.jpg

CIMG5193_zps7khbhr2k.jpg

CIMG5195_zpsvnp3tq9b.jpg

Regards

Dan

• Like 3

This is looking really good, I've book marked this to shamelessly copy your detail work (attempt to at least) when I build mine!

You carry on Phil, chuffed that I can help :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks Chaps,

Just been playing around with the crew figures, these are from Castoff and look rather nice.

A few things need to be modified like removing the CPUs from 2 of the crew members, but I do like the fact that

Terry gives you spare helmets without any heads, very useful for a diorama :goodjob:

CIMG5197_zpsiyyez6vl.jpg

CIMG5196_zpsv450finx.jpg

Rear tool bin added.

CIMG5199_zpskjxg2ymk.jpg

CIMG5201_zps8lj7i4p7.jpg

Drivers mounting bracket added from plastic card and tube.

CIMG5202_zps4yy7p00c.jpg

CIMG5203_zpsjibqn1ch.jpg

Flashing light bracket cut down, just needs modifying to take a cast resin one form Accurate Armour.

CIMG5204_zpsqg3pourg.jpg

CIMG5205_zpsf8ynxk63.jpg

More to follow

Dan

• Like 3

This is looking really good, I've book marked this to shamelessly copy your detail work (attempt to at least) when I build mine!

I'm probably more shameless, I've copied Dan's builds on to PowerPoint.

• Like 2

Hi Dan

Looking good as usual. The other smaller bolts are in fact for draining the Hull, which when undone allows any water (usually rusty) out of the Hull!

Nick

Edited by Mike
Removing large photo quote.
  • Like 3

Hi Dan

Need to check my photos, but i dont ever recall small bolts on the front like that, being a chally 1 Mk3 you would think they would be the same but not all tanks had the small strengheners attached to the front corner and top of the turret like that. if you set the angle of the gun you can use tissue paper to represent the cover where the gun meets the turret.......Loved working on these machines :)

Darren

Hi Dan

Need to check my photos, but i dont ever recall small bolts on the front like that, being a chally 1 Mk3 you would think they would be the same but not all tanks had the small strengheners attached to the front corner and top of the turret like that. if you set the angle of the gun you can use tissue paper to represent the cover where the gun meets the turret.......Loved working on these machines :)

Darren

Darren,

I can see your point about the strengtheners, i believe they were present on all CRs but not as pronounced as they are on Dan's model, due to the various layers of paint and the non-slip coating which would make them more subtle on the wagon.

Nick

mente et manu

Cheers for the info chaps, I have the Kagero Photosniper books

which show them quite well but I wasn't sure if it was a earlier MK that had them only.

So any of you ex Chally crew have any photos of the TOGs barbette with the door open, Can I find any info

on what the optics array looks like? No :-( I want to model my tank with the door open so any info would be great chaps

even if its a hand drawn diagram that would be brilliant, Also after the door mech and any wiring that I can add.

If these parts are still classified then a general description would be suitable, don't want to be breaking any OPSEC

rules.

I have one small photo in the Kagero book which isn't too detailed.

So I started to modify the kit parts.

CIMG5207_zpshtgnqlox.jpg

CIMG5206_zpspkbmsst1.jpg

CIMG5208_zpsklypfpew.jpg

Chieftain Side bin being worked on.

CIMG5209_zpsicmli5ze.jpg

Fuel caps getting new PE tops.

CIMG5210_zps5fsq7nhf.jpg

CIMG5211_zps67ebiqa2.jpg

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

Im away from home at the minute and don't have access to my photos, so i will hopefully use my powers of description of the TOGS workings.

Inside the barbette was the TISH (Thermal Imager Sensor head) it was a large standard green "box" for want of a better word with a large Lens on the end. The Lens was Gloss black in colour ( about 12cm in diameter) with a wiper attached to the box, there was also a washer nozzle and hose, but i can't remember if it was attached to the wiper arm or the bottom of the TOGS compartment.

The TISH would move up and down with the gun, so a point to note here is the angle of the gun on your model.

I believe the inside of the whole Barbette was black in colour. The inside of the barbette door had a built in "flash cover" which was also black. The door opened towards the turret and was powered by an actuator and arm attached to the bottom edge of the door.

Hope this makes sense!

A little point of interest is that the compartment with the jerrycan holder on it is the TOGS compressor compartment, responsible for feeding the Thermal imager with super cooled air....ooops said too much!

Hope this helps

Nick

• Like 1

Thanks Nick, if you do have any pictures that would be great fella :thumbsup:

So back to the Barbette, just more work in getting the fit better.

CIMG5212_zpsb81qh5cl.jpg

CIMG5213_zpsg8zhkvsu.jpg

CIMG5220_zpsfsnjiq2y.jpg

CIMG5221_zpstjl2ivqb.jpg

Some work on the commanders hatch.

CIMG5214_zpsxgqwabbr.jpg

And the rear turret hatch, lifting handles are now done with plastic rod.

CIMG5217_zpsczzpwhug.jpg

CIMG5218_zpsmfyckgoh.jpg

CIMG5216_zpsb7m4o5al.jpg

Cheers

Dan

• Like 1