I shall be building a Landing Ship Tank Mk.2 (LST) which supplied troops and vehicles to the beachhead and Mulberry harbour

Not built one of these before, especially scratch build, :shrug: so I shall be muddling learning as I go along. The model will be populated with various AFV's from L'Arsenal's range of vehicles and accessories.

Mike

Plans and styrene sheets ready for the start.

001_plans_and_plastics.jpg

Selection of representative vehicles - quite nice and detailed for 1:350 scale

002_selection_of_vehicles.jpg

• Like 4

I'm trying to build up the courage to go all the way and do the LST Pier for the LST2. As we discussed earlier Smudge, I may run out of time but do you think it would be worth the start?

Mike

I'm jealous, I've been waiting for L'Arsenal to produce the Mulberry Harbour parts in 1/700 for 2 years now. I have a fleet of LST's, an APA, a Rhino Ferry, and a couple of Liberty Ships all waiting in the stash for it.

Hope you get yours built, would love to see it....

Richard

I had better get started with this one, especially after watching yesterday's remembrance parades and services.

I have cut out each deck and stuck them down onto 1mm styrene sheet. Fortunately they all fitted onto the one sheet.

003_deck%20sections_placed_on_styrene_re

The next thing to do was to cut each deck section out, ready for the inter-deck walls to provide the height of each level.

004_deck%20sections_cut_out_resized_800_

A slow start but I hope to catch up after the weekend.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

The strengthening for between decks has been started, with the deck at waterline level having the lengths and cross-braces added.

Still not much to show yet, you'll have to bear with me until it starts to resemble a ship, as none of these inner pieces will be in view once the outer skin is added later.

005_inner_walls_added_at_waterline_deck_

The middle deck will be next, following a similar process, and then the main deck. That is when I can start adding some externally recognised features.

cheers

Mike

• Like 1

That's an interesting way to scratch a ship. it should be nice and strong, at least. Are you going to be able to utilize the various decks for showing stowage etc?

Good luck with this.

Hi Brews,

Thanks for the good wishes, I appreciate it as this is a new venture for me. I don't feel there is any point in detailing the internal decks as there would be nothing to see. As the LST2 only had the narrow front opening visibility inside was extremely limited, and this would be especially so at 1:350 with the opening only being 10mm wide. It would be a totally different case if the vessel was an aircraft carrier, with side lift hangar openings etc..

The area of the bow ramps will be detailed, with tanks/trucks disembarking, however I shall be concentrating the detail on the upper deck and bridge area. Hopefully the model will start to give some shape soon

Next level prepared ready for main deck to be added

008_next_tank_deck_prepared_with_ruler_r

Main deck added

010_main_deck_added_resized_800_wide.jpg

Profile view

011_main_deck_added_side_profile_resized

It's also about time I started to prepare some of the vehicles. I am amazed at the detail of these L'Arsenal models, the detail is comparable with some 1:76 models.

012_sherman_tank_at_350_scale_resized_80

015_sherman_tank_at_350_scale_resized_80

Into the ultra-sonic wash to remove any release agents and greasy finger marks etc.

016_vehicles_ultra-sonic_wash_resized_80

ready for a light coat of primer. I use Tamiya Light Surface Primer (grey) for this in order not to lose any of the exquisite detail

018_vehicles_prepared_for_primer_resized

That's it for now. The next stages will be to prepare the LST sides ready to have the hull skin fitted plus more work on the vehicles.

Thanks for watching.

Mike

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Right, I am back off my holidays so I need to do a bit of catching up!

The next stage is to build the forward bulkhead, this is the part where the main exit doorway is situated and where the offloading ramp would be positioned up against when closed up. Behind the bulkhead is a humped ramp and both these items are shown rough-cut below.

020_tank_deck_ramp_and_doorway2_resized_

Here is a view of the tank deck area, with just the side walls in position, before the forward bulkhead is added. The odd shapes at the sides is masking tape where I have sprayed primer into the tank deck.

022_tank_deck_area2_resized_800_wide.jpg

Forward bulkhead fitted; it is currently oversize and I shall sand it down to match the hull sides. Note that the hull sides have not yet been fitted.

023_tank_deck_area3_resized_800_wide.jpg

Next is to shape the transom stern. As well as the plan I have found, there are some very good photo's on the web which give excellent details for reference.

026_transom_stern_2_resized_800_wide.jpg

That will do for now. I'll do a bit more researching and post more photo's later.

Thanks for looking

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the helpful comments, they give me hope that I may get this to look like an LST2 by the time I have finished!

As you can see by the next image, the hull plating is now fitted and any undulations have been filled and sanded smooth.

031_primer_sanded_down5_resized_800_wide

The LST2 type which I am building is an early type and one that was under Royal Navy control. The main difference between the early, type 1, and later type 2 vessels is the modified ramp. The early version had an elevator facility at the forward hatch and vehicles stowed on the upper deck had to be lowered down to the tank deck via this system. A typical full turn around of the elevator was just over 2 minutes per vehicle. The later system utilised a ramp which, once the vehicles in the tank deck had driven off, was lowered and the upper deck vehicles could then just drive down the ramp and straight off the LST and this reduced offloading time considerably.

When checking my original plan (see the early images which shows the later ramp positioned forward on the foc'sle), I realised that I had the plans of a later type of LST2, in fact the diagrams showed a post-war Korean era vessel. That could have been a bit embarrassing further down the line when all the deck fittings had been applied! :doh:

I have now sourced a correct deck plan of the early type and, having resized it to 1:350 and printed, have now stuck it into place on the model. The main point to note is the forward hatch (outlined in red) is further back on this version and not on the foc'sle as with the previous plan.

033_new_deck_plan_attached2_resized_800_

I have started on the upperworks here. A cut out has been made and this will be used as the template for the first deck level.

034_superstructure_1_resized_800_wide.jp

Although I thoroughly enjoy scratchbuilding, albeit much of it is an experiment as I go along, I do realise my limitations and so I shall need to resort to aftermarket; and spares box items, for those finer pieces which need adding. Ready made photo-etched doors and hatches are a real boon at this scale, especially as my 65 year old fingers just refuse to cut a straight line any more with the scalpel.

036_superstructure_3_resized_800_wide.jp

I now need to transfer the details on the plan onto the model, in order that the paper can be peeled away ready for deck fittings to be added.

The method I use is to make little, square, cuts at intersections of lines and then to re-draw those lines which will draw over the exposed plastic.

038_transferring_details_to_model2_resiz

Here is a close in view of an area that shows the exposed plastic underneath. The red lines show where I have continued the lines from two points on the paper and across the plastic. This now marks out the hatch on the model so that I can remove the paper covering to work on the deck.

038a_transferring_details_to_model2_clos

Here we can see that all the markings have been transferred to the model and the paper diagram has been removed.

039_details_marked_out_on_model1_resized

That's it for now. I need to start investigating a base layout for this and also to continue with all the vehicles; 57 so far to be painted and decalled! :frantic:

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

Truly amazing work Mike! I don't know how you do it. I find it hard enough just making models by following instructions let alone making it up as you go along! Brilliant!

Thanks PlaStix.

you are right though, I do make it up as I go along and sod's law is that I will find a detailed photograph of an essential part after I have made it and stuck it into the wrong place!

cheers

Mike

• Like 1