Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Moa

Members
  • Content count

    247
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

646 Excellent

About Moa

  • Rank
    Established Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    http://wingsofintent.blogspot.com/

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    California
  • Interests
    Civil planes of the Early aviation and Golden Age
  1. Same surgery applied to the resin floats. Originally a bit longer than needed: Cut to size by removing center section: And re-glued:
  2. After priming, a little of putty and sanding, and some clean-up, the gloss black base for the Alclad is applied (this is done together with other projects): Metal color is airbrushed on all parts. Masking will ensue for the blue tone:
  3. Decals are printed. The "G" will need some tweaking, ,and added bit to the hook to be a perfect match: I couldn't find an aftermarket Bristol Jupiter VI or VII with the frontal "Y" exhausts, so I will convert one using leftover parts from the spares bin. I will also adapt a prop from the same source: Another way to get the floats will be to adapt, in the same way, the resin Fairchild P6 floats from Khee-Kha Art Productions in Alaska. They are much better needless to say than the generic Aeroclub vacs, but some detail may be lost during shortening and a bit of re-shaping:
  4. The mid-fuselage bottom stitches are added as a decal, also a dangling bit seen in photos -related to the experimental nature of the plane-, plus L.G. legs rigging and control leads:
  5. The curved float flutes can be smoothed with sandpaper wrapped around a tube of convenient diameter:
  6. The background companion piece for the Fokker is completed. Fokker F.II did fly to Croydon, and bus was contemporary, not sure they were ever together, but they will be in my universe: These little nostalgia jewels of yesteryear are pleasant to build, and one or two details help bring them back to life (in this case the interior seats, clear windows, lights, radiator cap, etc): For an object that will be placed on the background I think this kit works, and will provide some technological context to the airplane: Ready to jump on for a London ride? More able modelers could have a field day with this nice kit, but as it is, it is pleasant enough:
  7. Hi Will Just returning the favor. As I started to model again, some years ago, I always wanted to know how modelers solved problems. How were things done. To see all the nice models posted around was no doubt wonderful, but to be able to tell how they did it, and even the mistakes that are committed sometimes during the process is priceless. The narrative and images I post hopefully give a clue about some things, without having to explain too much or fellow modelers having to ask about. Everything helps, failures and successes, and the thrill is that we continue to learn. My manual dexterity and visual acuity are greatly diminished now (just as an example, the center of the visual field of my right eye is gone), yet my models are a bit better than yesteryear, because of the ways we, collectively, find to improve the builds. Moreover, planning and foresight and conceiving the right building engineering and strategies help immensely. Better yet: as a kid I was happy with any contraption put together and slapped on with any paint of any color. It was joy. When I "learned", there was a period with of course better results but scarcely any joy. Now I have fun, lots of fun, and thanks to what I learned from scores of fellow modelers, can render a decent model. So it is, in a way, and in any small measure this might be, about giving back. Cheers
  8. The fuselage nose as said somewhere above was metal and asymmetrical due to an additional triangular panel on the exhaust side. As you can tell I had forgotten: So had to mask and paint it (the window maker liquid is still curing): I had forgotten as well of the struts for the stab and wing (being primed here):
  9. Was trying to decide if to go for the decals way or the oil way. Also notice stitches decals (for the bottom fuselage mid-line): Finally opted for oil paint:
  10. The float fore and aft parts are glued together. Some putty and sanding will ensue:
  11. The floats' center section is removed to achieve proper length. This (or similar) tool keeps things perpendicular to the axis: An end cap -that will act after being shaped as bullhead- is glued: A hole is drilled to provide ventilation and help with drying. This added bulkhead has the secondary benefit of providing sharper, more defined lines to the float than the soft, curved vacuforming process can lend: The new windows: Area masked not to disturb the surroundings: Putty applied on the kit's blanked-off windows (that are right for the kit's intended version, just to clarify):
  12. Thanks, Christian. I hope your stay in Africa is made better when you think about the not particularly smart shady businessman who recently tried to criticize it, only to have the word applied to his current temporary residence. By the way, my older son is a brewer. I get to sample occasionally ;-) Back now to the board.
  13. Hi Tony Thanks I love vacs as much as love scratchs, then injected and then resins (unless it's an SBS resin, then I love it greatly too). I think it's the creative side of it. I hope you like building them, you will be welcome to our underground brotherhood ;-)
  14. Disc to plug the fuselage opening in place (there is a recess in the mold where it can be inserted). Some of the interior being assembled, the aft deck will be discarded: Floats ready to be cut to size: Wing halves glued together:
  15. Thanks Crossfiron New windows carved:
×