P&W engines for Airfix Hudson

justplanecrazy

Am I going senile or did there used to be a resin product to replace the Airfix poor Cyclone engines with Twin Wasps? I cannot find said item anywhere!

Nick

Indeed they are: but the ones I have are not. They must have sold out, so perhaps a note to them asking if they are going to produce some more?

The MPM/SH ones are too large, closer to a Hercules for a Halifax or Wellington. The same applies to their Mk.II Beaufort kit.

I have 4 sets of the Airwaves 72042, if anyone is interested PM me ... the postage from Austria to the UK would be a bit higher tho, especially for a registered letter.

Cheers,

Martin

Edited by occa

These are not parallel-sided, but have a curved taper. I suspect this was because the original DC-3 had the larger-diameter Cyclones, so the P&W cowlings start (at the rear) with a larger base diameter. They thus have more room under the cowling then the more tightly-tailored Hudson or Beaufort cowlings. Worth a look, though.

The only other thing I can think of as a starting point might be the Quickboost cowlings for the Academy PBY. Those are parallel-sided P&W 1830 jobs.

QUIC-72007.jpg

One would have to carve off the internal intake, unfortunately.

Mind you, it's not a big job to make something out of a piece of dowel and crash-form, or heat-form using a heatgun to shrink a PET mineral water bottle down over a suitable former.

Unfortunately, the Red Roo engines and cowls are the larger-diameter single-row Wright R-1820s. Nick is looking for the more slender twin-row Pratt & Whitney R-1830s. The PBY cowls look to be about the best bet, although I've heard they're a bit undersized, just like the Academy kit parts from which they were modified. If someone had an set of engines/cowls from either the old Airfix or Revell PBY, they might fit the bill. Heck, maybe somebody on this forum has replaced the Academy PBY cowls with the Quickboost ones, and can spare the original kit cowls. You'd have to scribe the cowl flaps, as the Academy kit cowls are totally smooth, but that wouldn't be all that difficult.

SN

It'll have been when I bought the Hudson and the Beaufort, not long after they came out, and realised about the cowling problem, plus a bit. I keep my lists on my laptop, which isn't handy to check. Obviously not too many people have noticed, or actually want to do these variants. I'm somewhat surprised that the Aussie Beauforts haven't kept inerest alive.

As for how long: I'm regularly taken aback when I read people taking about this or that "old" kit when I realise I still haven't made it and thought it came out only in the last year or so. So when I said "not long ago" I meant within the decade, not a few months!

No info on PW cowls/engines, but I can definitely relate to this:

...As for how long: I'm regularly taken aback when I read people taking about this or that "old" kit when I realise I still haven't made it and thought it came out only in the last year or so. So when I said "not long ago" I meant within the decade, not a few months!

If I can still remeber buying the kit as a new release, it can't really be all that old ... can it?

Works with aeroplanes as well as models. An aeroplane that I can remember being newly introduced into RAF service while I was an air cadet counts as "modern". Most of them have been retired now...

Nimrod. Harrier. Jaguar. Bulldog.

Still haven't used that C-Scale Tornado F.2 conversion I bought for the "new" Airfix 1/72 Tornado just as the first real things were appearing....

Don't remind me, I have one of those too, and now I thought I read the F.3 is retired as well.

Check out Engines and Things

Here

or you could email Kopher Resins:

dkopher - at - @yahoo.com

These are from my DC-6 project to give you an example

5608719855_01e8799af5_b.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by Macfire