Best airbrush ever for large area painting.

turnerdad

This is more of a "heads up" to this amazing airbrush. I bought it last year, and have used it a good deal, and I have to say it has transformed my modelling. I say "airbrush", but it's really more like a "spraygun", in that it chucks out a lot of paint, and more importantly it comes with 2 nozzles-one is a typical airbrush style "spot" nozzle, ie it will produce a circle of paint, but the other is a "fan" nozzle, a scaled down version as used on proper large sprayguns (which we use at work and spray BIG models with).

As a result, firstly large or small models can be painted extremely quickly which in itself is reason enough to get one, but more importantly when using the fan nozzle (which I use exclusively) there isn't the tendency to produce grainy build ups around wing roots, against raised detail etc that can happen when using smaller airbrushes to paint large models. It used to take ages to spray up a model, especially larger ones with what are in effect unsuitable airbrushes. I would never consider spraying a 20th scale A380 with a small gun! It is also brilliant for adding gloss coats, as you can follow the "wet edge" beautifully. Sprayed my Red Baron with it, and my latest project, a 1/48 Lanc for work took about 30 minutes to spray 3 coats of black, and that includes 10 minutes or so of drying time between coats. Not cheap, but worth it!

KustomIwata0001DSC_0022.jpg

Looking for a Xmas pressie? Get one of these if you can afford it, beautifully built too. As you can tell I like this gun!

Would love to get one pf those. :Tasty:

Always fancied one of those TR1's or 2's and its gun shape but they are way too pricey for me. Looked at those cheap gun versions you see on Ebay, spraymaster?, but have an Iwata SAR revolution single action and BR double action so couldn't justify another one. For some reason i prefer the single action SAR.

Thanks for that info, turnerdad. Just had a look at the price on my usual source for airbrushes and it's not as bad as I expected, for what you're getting. Given my penchant for large scale aircraft and cars I may look to investing in one of these sometime next year. Price of spares is surprisingly reasonable, too!

I've been happy using my old Paasche VL for large area coverage, but it was never 'ideal', so this could be the answer.

Oops... that's just added another 50% to my wishlist total! ;)

Kev :guitar:

KustomIwata0001DSC_0022.jpg

Looking for a Xmas pressie? Get one of these if you can afford it, beautifully built too. As you can tell I like this gun!

I wonder how much of the cost of this airbrush goes towards the cost of that case.

I also find it quite amusing when people moan about the cheap Iwata Chinese clones and then recomend Tamiya, MIG and Gunze etc when they are not so cheap Chinese Iwata clones.

Paul

You get what you pay for, it isn't cheap and yes I guess that case does add to the price slightly but spares are pletiful and easy to obtain if you will ever need them, it is a quality item with all the back up of the worlds premier spraygun producer.

I should have said, the only downside to a gun like this is that it needs a comprehensive air supply, it will struggle with a little low airflow diaphram type. It's just something worth considering if you get as much enjoyment from this hobby as I do. I plan on keeping this running as new for my entire life, factor that in and it is pretty good value. And I have some experience with these cheap chinese airbrushes, and I've already ruined one without too much difficulty, they don't like cellulose thinners, seals break down very quickly and replacements are hard to get. Probably OK for acrylics though, and overall not too bad, and great to start out on. Got a small cheap back up compressor though and that is brilliant.

I wonder how much of the cost of this airbrush goes towards the cost of that case.

I also find it quite amusing when people moan about the cheap Iwata Chinese clones and then recomend Tamiya, MIG and Gunze etc when they are not so cheap Chinese Iwata clones.

Paul

Gunze (and Tamiya) airbrushes are made in Japan. Both are top notch in quality, not to be compared with the Fengda made airbrushes. They arn't even close when it comes to tolerances, chrome and polishing. And that is what makes the japanese made airbrushes stand out, whatever brand is embossed on the airbrush.

Added to that, Iwata isn't the one and only original, so what's an Iwata clone? Trigger action airbrushes has been around long before Iwata started to make them. There's been airbrushes with fan pattern setups for a while as well. Nothing negative about the Iwata HP-TH, but there isn't anything revolutionary about the design. So who is copying who?

Edited by denstore

Ouch!!!

Just checked the price in France.

458€!!!!!

Blimey-thats a lot. Maybe there is a way to get one cheaper over here and send it out to you. If you are serious about one then if I or others here can help keep the price down then consider it done. Will investigate prices over here.

I have stocked these for a few years, it's not for every one but it's the only Iwata trigger brush that has a preset handle and mac valve.

The round and fan head are brilliant, nothing you can't get anywhere else, but put together in a good quality brush.

The only downside is that it does need a high output compressor to make the post of it

List price has changed a lot over the years, at the moment is £293.

I have it on my list for £250 if anyone would like to invest in one.

I have stocked these for a few years, it's not for every one but it's the only Iwata trigger brush that has a preset handle and mac valve.

The round and fan head are brilliant, nothing you can't get anywhere else, but put together in a good quality brush.

The only downside is that it does need a high output compressor to make the post of it

List price has changed a lot over the years, at the moment is £293.

I have it on my list for £250 if anyone would like to invest in one.

Gunze (and Tamiya) airbrushes are made in Japan. Both are top notch in quality, not to be compared with the Fengda made airbrushes. They arn't even close when it comes to tolerances, chrome and polishing. And that is what makes the japanese made airbrushes stand out, whatever brand is embossed on the airbrush.

Added to that, Iwata isn't the one and only original, so what's an Iwata clone? Trigger action airbrushes has been around long before Iwata started to make them. There's been airbrushes with fan pattern setups for a while as well. Nothing negative about the Iwata HP-TH, but there isn't anything revolutionary about the design. So who is copying who?

I am quite surprised you have reached the grand old age that you have without ever encountering the Japanese practice of having parts made in china and other south east Asian countries and then assembling them in Japan just so the box can have made in Japan on it when for the most part it wasn't made in Japan. Its been done for years with there cameras and HiFi why do you think airbrushes are imune to this pratice.

Paul

I am quite surprised you have reached the grand old age that you have without ever encountering the Japanese practice of having parts made in china and other south east Asian countries and then assembling them in Japan just so the box can have made in Japan on it when for the most part it wasn't made in Japan. Its been done for years with there cameras and HiFi why do you think airbrushes are imune to this pratice.

Paul

I suppose that you have a lot of experience with Gunze and Tamiya airbrushes, since you know that they are made in china, instead of japan, as they are marked? With that reasoning, everything everywhere, and from whatever niche or brand might be made in china. The Iwata mentioned above not the least. Or H&S for that matter, since Airtex has their complete line in their sortiment....

Even if (which I seriously doubt) BB Rich (who manufactures the Tamiya and Gunze airbrushes) has imported the parts for the airbrushes, I have owned enough of them to know that there is significant differences in these and the chinese brands like the Fengda made airbrushes that are common on the airbrush market. But of course, I might have some prejustice against chinese made airbrushes. That is probably the reason for importing and stocking Taiwanese airbrushes in my store.... :rolleyes:

And without starting the third world war Taiwan is owned by China and well known (NOT) for the quality of their products.

At the end of the day is bean many many years since (Made in) actually meant what most people believe.

And without starting the third world war Taiwan is owned by China and well known (NOT) for the quality of their products.

At the end of the day is bean many many years since (Made in) actually meant what most people believe.

I´m quite aware of that. It was the reason why I pointed it out. Wherever the airbrush is made it doesn't matter. If the quality is good, the quality is good. And Grex makes good airbrushes, even if they are taiwanese. Problem is that 99% of the airbrushes that comes out of mainland china seem to be made by Fengda, and they are definitly not in the same league as Grex. The few examples of Sparmax airbrushes I've handled seemed to be somewhere in between. And to me the only reason for buying the Fengda airbrushes is that you can't afford anything else. The materials, finish and tolerances are just not as good as the quality brands.

But I will still insist that the Tamiya and Gunze airbrushes arn't any "Iwata clones", and I seriously doubt that they even are made in china. They are high quality airbrushes, on par with any similar priced airbrush. Sometimes even better value than the often overpriced Iwatas.

As a point Taiwan is "claimed" by China but as this time still seperate. Pleanty of good qulaity stuff comes from there.

Julien

Interesting thread/discussion.

I wondered if one could obtain a head for an airbrush that would allow me to paint certain schemes, that in real life would have been painted using a "fan head" spray pattern- I had no idea they are "out there..."

but can I get one for my Badger 200?

Interesting thread/discussion.

I wondered if one could obtain a head for an airbrush that would allow me to paint certain schemes, that in real life would have been painted using a "fan head" spray pattern- I had no idea they are "out there..."

but can I get one for my Badger 200?

Nothing off the shelf, you could try a 'fan' mask in front of the brush.