Victor B2/SR2

canberraman

The only thing I fear is the lack of drawings. I absolutely must re-scribe the beast but re-buying rather dear reference material is totally out of the question. The nice fellows at airwar.ru to the rescue?

The main innovation I have planned will be the separation of the intakes from the wing proper so that I may replicate the DB conversion in putty and card before reinstalling them – vivisection to the extreme.

The objective will be doing the most with the least - your thoughts chaps?

If any of you have a genuine interest in interactively tagging along with me on such a primitive, primal, old-school, modelling project please let me know and give me two or three weeks to get organized at this end.

Thanks Buck -

must admit I cheated some with the recce cradle & bomb bay detail - easy way out was fitting a false floor as a base for both tanks and the cradle (milled from a piece of plexiglass)

HPIM2976.jpg

HPIM2977.jpg

Thanks for the reference - still some more info on cradle and trolley would be helpful but info seems to be thin on the ground...

Surely somebody in GB may be able to help you out with a copy of the old Warpaint 1/72 plans if you intend to rescribe ?

And good luck to your project - disecting the intakes to be able to work from both sides on a "do it yourself" improvement seems a good idea and is certainly feasible -

I am just doing this presently with the Mach2 Valiant intakes !

rolf

I might be able to help here!

someone a while ago in NZ sent me some plans by email for the Victor...on examination they are by mr bently!

would you like me to email them over?

steve

PS..VERY interested in your fix for the intakes..as Ive the same problem, and not wanting to resort to resin either...always intake blanks i suppose? :frantic:

Edited by kspriss

I might be able to help here!

someone a while ago in NZ sent me some plans by email for the Victor...on examination they are by mr bently!

would you like me to email them over?

steve

PS..VERY interested in your fix for the intakes..as Ive the same problem, and not wanting to resort to resin either...always intake blanks i suppose?

Hello Steve!

Please! That would be very greatly appreciated to say the least!

PM inbound to you.

OK, that is one problem solved.

Re intake blanks – good solution – except then you are wheels down meaning you now have to address those hideous off-centre hubs. When I did my K.2 with the DB intakes years ago I cannibalized the wheels off of an Airfix Vulcan. The newer David Parks David J Parkins set has etch for the hubs IIRC. I decided to stick to re-doing the intakes as being my preferred solution. Rebuilding 10 V-Bomber wheel hubs from scratch (or resorting to casting) is just not on at the moment.

My projects tend to die in the bays….

Cheers!

Edited due to a chronic caffeine / alcohol imbalance. Donations of Guinness and Jamaica Blue mountain may be sent to….

Edited by General Buck Turgidson

The main innovation I have planned will be the separation of the intakes from the wing proper so that I may replicate the DB conversion in putty and card before reinstalling them – vivisection to the extreme.

That's a hell of a lot of hard work Buck, :hypnotised: you sure you can't stretch to a resin set, they are spot on with the complex shape and contours of the intakes, totally lacking in the kit parts. I have 4 sets but unfortunately they are all designated for Victor projects for the Bomber Command SIG! The hub centres are a must as well.

The entire model must be rescribed , but don't go mad as the Victors skin was extremely flush ( it was built that way!) and the thick polyurethane paint applied to the SR2's covered most of the panel joint lines anyway. The SR's were kept very clean throughout their relatively short lives, so no need to go mad on shading, weathering etc.. I get rid of all the worst 'tram' lines and just run my OLFA rescriber only once over each to give the paint something to grab onto and to break up the surface a bit !. Underneath is a bit different as fairly heavy staining occurred along the engine bay panels as a result of oil wash and airflow caught soot, again subtlety is key here.

As the Victor is probably my favourite aircraft I have a huge collection of reference material collected over many years, so if you need any detail info just PM me...

I'll post some progress shots when I start my SR2 later, if they help. Must admit I always use the Bentley plans for reference.

Das General

That's a hell of a lot of hard work Buck, :hypnotised: you sure you can't stretch to a resin set, they are spot on with the complex shape and contours of the intakes, totally lacking in the kit parts. I have 4 sets but unfortunately they are all designated for Victor projects for the Bomber Command SIG! The hub centres are a must as well.

The entire model must be rescribed , but don't go mad as the Victors skin was extremely flush ( it was built that way!) and the thick polyurethane paint applied to the SR2's covered most of the panel joint lines anyway. The SR's were kept very clean throughout their relatively short lives, so no need to go mad on shading, weathering etc.. I get rid of all the worst 'tram' lines and just run my OLFA rescriber only once over each to give the paint something to grab onto and to break up the surface a bit !. Underneath is a bit different as fairly heavy staining occurred along the engine bay panels as a result of oil wash and airflow caught soot, again subtlety is key here.

As the Victor is probably my favourite aircraft I have a huge collection of reference material collected over many years, so if you need any detail info just PM me...

I'll post some progress shots when I start my SR2 later, if they help. Must admit I always use the Bentley plans for reference.

Das General

Hello General!

Thank you very much for your kind offer of help. Being a stubborn old git I am committed to the DIY approach re the intakes – famous last words I know.

I do wonder if one of us was kidnapped at birth by (PC tongue biting here)? Your suggested plan of attack matches mine almost exactly. However I have been debating drawing in all panel lines in 0.5 soft lead only re-scribing access panels and the like. What are your thoughts on a mixed approach?

Cheers!

Ha....my thoughts exactly!!...yep I used a soft lead on one of my B2's and as long as you are VERY subtle it works well, be prepared for a bit of 'trial and terror' on the way though!!

Sounds like a good plan, well us Generals always must a have a cunning plan eh!!

Look forward to seeing your efforts General Turgidson, (keep off the tap water though, you know what it does to your precious bodily fluids........................ :jump_fire:

As General Ripper pointed out, '' Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?'' )...good point.. :banghead:

Look forward to seeing your efforts General Turgidson, (keep off the tap water though, you know what it does to your precious bodily fluids........................

Purity of essence?

That part I’ve got down cold.

It is the denial that I have to work on.

Nah.

Maybe in the next life?

PM re Victors etc whenever you like. Remember we are all in this together – some just more so than others…

drawings on the way General Turgidson sir!

six drawings of the handley page Victor??..sheee-oot, a guy could have a pretty good time in 'vegas with that! (with apologies to major kong)

steve

drawings on the way General Turgidson sir!

six drawings of the handley page Victor??..sheee-oot, a guy could have a pretty good time in 'vegas with that! (with apologies to major kong)

steve

Cheers! Just what the Good Doctor Merkwürdigeliebe ordered.

Not to mention one issue of prophylactics, three lipsticks, three pair of nylon stockings - :whistle: !!......I'll sift through stash and see what I have on SR2's Buck, that's if Memsahib allows me entry to the War Room !!!! :whip:

The good news, as far as modelling and general essence denial goes, is that my darling Darling Miss May is away visiting family for the next week.

The possible good news is that she will be able to identify and locate my collection of plastic card and stock and bring it back with her.

The very real and deep fears presently haunting me and which I prefer to leave unspoken centre around memories of her last expedition to my stored stash whence she successfully recovered my ABs only to pack them directly - and mixed up thoroughly - with several pairs of my heavy country brogues!

Under no circumstances include the words 'Wife' and 'Stash' in the same context :analintruder: .They are the antithesis of common sense when it comes to the concept of searching through the hallowed collection, you may as well ask them to extrapolate Pye to 22,000 decimal places :unsure:

Are you really sure you want to entrust her with the high office of returning with the Holy Grail, would it not be more prudent, not to mention safer to fetch em yourself....funny things these women folk...!!

covered my ABs only to pack them directly - and mixed up thoroughly - with several pairs of my heavy country brogues!

.....................that my dear fellow is quite unforgivable !!!

The very real and deep fears presently haunting me and which I prefer to leave unspoken centre around memories of her last expedition to my stored stash whence she successfully recovered my ABs only to pack them directly - and mixed up thoroughly - with several pairs of my heavy country brogues!

ahhh..riiight, ok..now im confused

• 1 year later...

don't think so.

MA/TAW have recently done a B2 conversion with the original wingtips and a bomb-doors insert. this is very good indeed.

and... general melchett did show me a model on the bomber command SIG stand at huddersfield, with the ECM tail [which could also be fitted to and was to the SR2]

with a prototype ECM tail in resin. very nice but certain of the lumps were way oversized.

trevor

don't think so.

........... with the ECM tail [which could also be fitted to and was to the SR2]

trevor

ECM blisters were fitted to the SR.2's on conversion from B.2 but were removed and the holes blanked, on acceptance at Wyton. We didn't have ECM on the B/SR.2's only Red Steer tail warning as per the B.2(BS)'s.

Dennis W Robinson

Just Curious,

Was the SR.2 supposed to fly along with the Weapons bay doors open to take photos? I would have thought a fairing like the Valiant PR would minimize drag?

From my own experience, there was little difference between having the doors open or closed. The deflector plates at the front of the bomb doors were perforated to ensure smooth air (see Popeye's model) which worked well and there was certainly no "rumble" from the doors, when open, inside the cabin particularly during the long periods of survey work.

The aircraft was remarkably smooth and comfortable to fly in at all altitudes and very stable.

DR