Revell B-17G 1/48

_H_

I've been asked by my LHS to build this model for a very ill young lad that loves the Sally B. The brief being that I can do whatever I want with the interior but the exterior must be clean, glossy, no panel lines or weathering. Easy!!! ha ha not quite! Decals will be sorted at a later time, the LHS will be dealing with that for me.

So with that I commenced with the base colour. I used the Vallejo Mode air interior green and used quite a lot!!

DSCF0540-1.jpg

I'll admit to not being massively "up" on my B-17's but still happy to build such a beast. I've noticed the Sally B has a few things on her that differ from the kit. Mainly being that Sally has no cheek guns. After a discussion with Simon at the LHS it was decided to not start cutting great big bits out of the fuselage but to fit the windows without the guns in (phew :D )

Anyway, the interior is getting pretty close to being finished:

DSCF0630.jpg

DSCF0631.jpg

I've started masking and fitting windows which is a job I'm not a fan of. By the time I've done three or four I'm pretty much burned out with it. Thankfully I only have four more to go as of last night. The side gunners windows are a proper horrible fit so I've used some Crystal Clear to fill the gaps in and will build that up so it is at least presentable. Guns were sprayed up last night and just need a buff up to bring out the metallic sheen......maybe lol

Well thats about it for the moment I'll be doing a bit more later in the week but I don't think it's going to fall together so please don't expect daily updates.

Thanks for looking and as always comments are welcome.

Howard

Thanks Phreak. Thats whats spuring me on really. I'm hoping to present him with the model at Duxford in front of the Sally B herself. Simon at the LHS has spoken to the good people at Sally B and made sure they don't mind the model being built (as they won't allow commercial decals to be produced of the plane) and they are apparently fine with it

Howard

I think most of us would love to see a photograph on BM of it being presented if possible, it would certainly make me smile!

All the best Howard

Rich

Then that is what I shall do Rich ;)

I'm really looking forward to handing this over.

I'm thinking of using a satin varnish over the model as a full on gloss coat might look a bit much. I know that Sally B is a glossy aircraft but I think the satin would be more "to scale" as it were. What do you guys think?

Howard

That's an amazing project you have going there and that's an absolutely fantastic reason to build this! the kid's smiling face on the day it gets handed to him will make all the poor fit/seam filling/harsh language worth it! From memory, that looks pretty close to Sally B's interior... he'll love it! Definitely want to see pictures of the handover!

Ha ha thanks Matt. There has been some swearing at the waist gunner windows fitments :shit: Theres certainly some other areas that look a bit suspect too and thats before the raised panel lines are mentioned :(

Howard

Simon at the LHS has spoken to the good people at Sally B and made sure they don't mind the model being built (as they won't allow commercial decals to be produced of the plane) and they are apparently fine with it

Howard

Superb effort Howard and a worthwhile build.

What I find strange though is that the Sally B owners won't allow decals to be produced. Surely that would be another avenue for much needed funds to keep the beautiful bird flying?

Anyway, that's off topic and a discussion for another day.

Keep it up and make sure we get pics of the day.

I'll bung these up if I may? Sally B at Duxford a couple of weeks ago undergoing a service in the hanger:

2009_03010095.jpg

2009_03010097.jpg

2009_03010098.jpg

2009_03010099.jpg

2009_03010100.jpg

Even half dressed, she is one beautiful machine.

Edited by GoonerChris

Great pics Chris thanks for them. I must say I'm really looking forward to masking and spraying the black/yellow engine cowling!!! :o

I see she's wearing some sort of heatshield over the exhausts, I'm guessing thats a current Health & Safety thing as I don't remember seeing pics of combat aircraft wearing those???

Maybe I can make those with milliput, what do you guys think?

Howard

Great pics Chris thanks for them. I must say I'm really looking forward to masking and spraying the black/yellow engine cowling!!! :o

I see she's wearing some sort of heatshield over the exhausts, I'm guessing thats a current Health & Safety thing as I don't remember seeing pics of combat aircraft wearing those???

Maybe I can make those with milliput, what do you guys think?

Howard

thin sheet styrene bent over the pipes and superglued might be easier. Just my 2p worth.

Stuart

You could always try a small drinking straw cut lengthways?

It works for making building ridge tiles so why not exhaust covers?

PS: They were the only pics I could get other that lying on my back to photograph the underside, which I should have done. I just didn't want to look a prat in front of half a dozen Japanese tourists.

Edited by GoonerChris

Morning guys.

Thank you Turnerdad I appreciate that.

Chris: I like the straw idea, that might be the way forward I reckon ;)

I got a touch more done last night. Namely finished off painting the guns and gently rubbing them with micromesh 12000 grit to bring out the metallic shine. After that I set about trying to make the waist guns movable. This actually took alot longer than I hoped but is all sorted now.

DSCF0632.jpg

Howard

• 2 months later...

Hello and sorry it's been a while. Basically the windows have been giving me grief and I lost interest...that is until I was asked by the LHS to have the model ready for presentation at the Duxford Flying legends!!!! GULP!!

So last night I bit the bullet and sat down to sort those pesky windows once and for all. I eventually decided on cutting them and fitting them seperately. Success! Little pic of the said cut window:

DSCF0611-1.jpg

Next up was to fit the waist guns and I wanted to make them movable so the lad can pose them where he wants. I'd though about cutting the barrels off and putting a thin bit of wire in after painting but lack of confidence with drilling such thin bits of plastic meant I have fitted them whole and will build a stretch sprue cage (as suggested by my good friend) around them.

DSCF0613.jpg

Well thats all for today but we should be looking at close up in the next installment.

I haven't been completly away from modelling by the way as I have been working on Eduards wonderful F6F Hellcat:

DSCF0617-1.jpg

Anyway thats all for now. :)

Howard

Thanks Phreak. Thats whats spuring me on really. I'm hoping to present him with the model at Duxford in front of the Sally B herself. Simon at the LHS has spoken to the good people at Sally B and made sure they don't mind the model being built (as they won't allow commercial decals to be produced of the plane) and they are apparently fine with it

Howard

Didn't they once do a limited run 1/72 sheet way back in the very early 80's??.I swear i had 1/72 Sally B once in 457th BG markings using the Matchbox kit?

Given their always looking for more cash to keep the old lady in the air i'm surprised they ain't done new sheets i'm sure modellers would buy them i know i would :speak_cool:

Maybe a Sally B history sheet

Early 457th BG markings

133B-17DXRayWoodCollection001.jpg

Sally B/Ginger Rogers "Well Meet Again" markings

B1720Brands20Hatch.jpg

Mid/Late '80's 447th BG markings

B17-2a.jpg

And the current Sally B/Memphis Belle scheme....

That would be a brilliant idea wouldn't it! I am surprised they haven't gone in and done it before as like you say they always need more cash to keep these great birds aloft.

Howard

Didn't they once do a limited run 1/72 sheet way back in the very early 80's??.I swear i had 1/72 Sally B once in 457th BG markings using the Matchbox kit?

You are correct sir. I have the very decal sheet of which you speak. :thumbsup2:

Totally agree with you.....they should do a new run with all the different schemes she has worn over the years. B)

Sorry I have no update today (only got 45mins modelling time last night) but I was wondering what colour you guys might suggest.

Reason being, I usually use WEM's excellent colourcoats and I have the USAAF Olive Drab and Neutral grey but on a recent test spray I reckon the OD looks a touch dark for Sally B's particular shade. I'm of the understanding there are several shades of OD anyway but I'd like to not have to mix up my own version if poss as I feel there may be touch ups required.

Any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance

Howard

Good on yer Howard for doing this build.

I have to agree that the WEM 1943 OD is quite dark - it looks fantastic on Mustang/Thunderbolts but over such a large surface as the B-17 it may need a bit of toning down.

Is this something you can do with a post-shading sesh when the main construction of the aeroplane is complete and touch-ups will hopefully be minimal?

Keep going, looks very good indeed so far...

Sally B/Ginger Rogers "Well Meet Again" markings

B1720Brands20Hatch.jpg

And the current Sally B/Memphis Belle scheme....

Those are the markings of the 351st Bomb Group, 508th Bomb Squadron, based at RAF Polebrook - as far as I'm aware, the only commercially available decals for any of the 351st aircraft are produced by Aeromaster in their "Fortress Over Europe Part II" sheet. Even then, the aircraft is from the 510th Bomb Squadron (TU-?)

If somebody was to get other decals for any of the other Polebrook based units, please let me know...

Cheers,

Chris - Polebrook resident until 6 months ago!