German Heavies

desmojen

both builds nicely coming along :yahoo:

nearly got me a Condor ayear or teo back. oo oo wish i had now. :frantic:

The holes were made before I cut it out using a scribing template.

great save has mentioned Jen. very neat circles what did you use to cut em out, please?

need to tidy my technique up on such things.

OK... next progress report...

I've finally attached the huge gondola onto the underside and it looked to fit well...

0f9ac1ab.jpg

Once I'd sprayed it over with some RLM02 for the interior colour, it didn't look that neat at all... So the I ended up filling the edges all in and blendng the whole thing together. A little re-scribing later and it looked better. Re-sprayed with RLM02, here it is!

f830b5cc.jpg

4cf91034.jpg

Getting real close to being able to start the painting phases now :S

Karl.

While I'm STILL waiting for my vac form canopies - two weeks now, and I checked it was in stock before I ordered it - damn you Hannants! :angrysoapbox.sml:

The fuselage is essentially ready for paint but I want the transparencies on first. I can't wait much longer though and if necessary I will temporarily use the kit parts just to get it to the show. In the meantime I decided to get on and paint the wings.

I used a Tamiya aerosol of Luftwaffe blue to slap a coat on quickly as it's a quite a large area. This was then shaded and then over coated with Gunze Sangyo RLM65.

353767836.jpg

I decided to use masks and paint the serials and crosses on the bottom, so using the decal sheet I made up some masks and duly painted the letters and crosses on with Gunze Tyre Black. They probably look quite stark in the photo, but I can assure you they are far less stark than the decals would have been! :lol:

Lastly, I masked the wing and popped a bit of RLM02 into the wheel bays.

Jen.

Thanks guys :)

I got sent home from work early this afternoon because of the weather, which gave me a handy extra couple of hours. I used them well by putting the camo on the top of the wings.

353809652.jpg

The colours are RLM72 and 73, which I don't have. I had bookmarked a Hyperscale article which suggested a recipe mixing Tamiya XF-18 Blue Grey into the Gunze RLM70 and 71 equivalents. I painted the props and spinners with the Black Green first as I had decided to mix the colours straight in the jars and then get a fresh jar of each at Yeovilton.

The spinners in the picture give an idea of the difference in the colour.

The Balkencruz was again sprayed on using a mask which was cut out using the decal sheet as a pattern.

Jen.

Not to be left too far behind, I've applied the RLM65 onto the bottom and applied some shading ready for the final coat. Quite a lot of panel lines on here, so it took me a while. Tomorrow I will get the final top coat on there and get ready for spraying the camo.

The engine cowlings have also been sprayed up with the white and yellow. Still a touch of work to do on them later, but for now they are OK.

Missing from this shot is the 2 little HS-293's... they are all sprayed up and ready for later.

49a538ef.jpg

7e299425.jpg

Karl.

That's some mighty fine airbrush control Karl. Not normally a fan of WWII German stuff but you are both making this thread compulsive viewing.

Great work guys, I think I'm gonna have to try out that preshading trick for myself ;)

This thread is 1) Really giving me the urge to get my Greif on the bench, and 2) Making me want to buy a Condor :lol:

Keep up the good work peeps, looking forward to seeing them both at Yeovilton :)

Finally finished the underside blue on the Condor. All done to my liking, and I'm ready to start on the camo. The splinter scheme is nice and easy, but that 'squiggle' job is getting ever closer! :S

663f2aeb.jpg

4a31caa2.jpg

Just realised as well, that this time in one week, this is supposed to be finished and on the table at Yeovilton!! :frantic:

Karl.

Well that's you told Deezer! :lol:

Actually Daz, Karl has been to the desmojen skool of Luftwaffe camo, where such schemes are known as either 'squiggles' or 'wiggles' :winkgrin:

Today I have been painting my fuselage, same colours and processes as the wings so nothing very exciting. Someone back there asked how to do the masks so I knocked up a quick tutorial for you.

First off you need some masking material. I use Artool Ultramask, which I got from Cammett, but anything transparent and not too sticky will do the job. You could even use Tamiya tape if you wanted.

A suitably sized piece is cut out ready...

354033700.jpg

As you can see, you can almost see through it even with the backing paper on. I have in the past used it like this rested against the Lizard viv (viv standing in for a lightbox) and drawn the shapes onto the film before cutting. Since I wasn't bothered about wrecking the decal sheet, I just peeled it off the backing and stuck it straight to the decal sheet.

354033699.jpg

Other ways around it include - photocopying the decal sheet and using the copy, sticking the mask sheet to some clear plastic and then tracing the decal that way or cutting out patterns from a photocopy and cutting around them.

Next up, using a steel rule and a good sharp blade, cut out the letters.

354033692.jpg

Of course, the steel rule is no good for letters with round bits on. These need to be done freehand. Once you've cut round the letters you can peel the mask back off the decal sheet and apply it to the model.

354033691.jpg

Bear in mind that the letter mask can just as easily be used the other way around - ie. paint part of the model black, apply the letters and then apply the camo.

This one though, is sprayed black through the letter spaces...

354033690.jpg

Spray carefully so as not to build up edges or get bleed through on all the panel lines. Not a big problem on black, a different story with white, red or yellow though :)

354033688.jpg

And there we go, one mask made and code sprayed in about ten minutes. It has a myriad of advantages over decalling, you can blend codes and markings in the same way you do your paint so that they look much more like a part of the finished job, and of course there is no need for gloss coats or any of that messing about!

So anyway, my fuselage is basically painted and most of the markings are on. I need to check some pics to see what sort of Swastika it should have, if any. Also there are some stencil decals to put on, and then I can put the clouds on. Unfortunately my model doesn't get to have wiggles, I have to make do with clouds :rolleyes:

Here it is as I left it earlier with the wings just balanced on.

354033685.jpg

Jen.

Thumbs up for the tutorial Jen. It's coming along very nicely, look forward to seeing it at Yeovil. Karl, come on matey it's time to 'do the squiggle' (looking mighty fine btw.)

Edited by Jay

Next step was to add my clouds and get the various stencil decals on. When I looked at the few references I have been able to find showing similar schemes I realised that the serials were painted on top of the clouds and should have been left until afterwards :doh:

Never mind eh :shrug: I mixed up some RLM76 and started mottling, but it was very hard to see it as it was so similar a colour to the RLM65. I lightened the paint up a bit and went over what I had already done. It still isn't smack you in the chops obvious but I think that is probably a good thing.

Once all clouds, mottles and little wiggles were added I reapplied my serial and cross masks and touched up the lettering. I also made a Swastika mask and popped those onto the fin. Here is what I have now,

354448765.jpg

354448766.jpg

I have since added the stencilling, which mostly amounted to walkway lines, and have now glued the wings on. Given the limited time I have to finish off, I decided to list everything left to do to try and organise things - it's quite a long list :hypnotised:

Jen.

P.S. Hannants delivery finally arrived yesterday so I now have some see through canopies.

Okey Dokey... about time to show some progress here. All of the camo has now been sprayed, and shading done in there too. Seems very dark to me, but I've gone with the Xtracrylix RLM72 and RLM73 as they are...

f5b54d8e.jpg

fe89f825.jpg

0210f5b6.jpg

f7c625cb.jpg

Then came the moment of truth yesterday morning... the 'Squiggles' :o After some major messing around, and nearly making a mess of the whole thing, I managed to get them done. I ended up using some Vallejo model colour to do them as it was easy to remove if any mistakes were made. The Gunze stuck like glue, which is where I had problems in the first few moments! Anyway after some major :frantic: panic, I was calmed down and put back on track. I've gone for a very densely packed squiggle as per photos, also it is a bit random as the real ones were too! Overall I'm pleased with how it came out!

3eacd869.jpg

c3894290.jpg

The pics are a bit different as one was under daylight, and another under the benchlight at night. Got to get cracking on the rest of it now as I've only got today and tomorrow! :S

Karl.