1/24 Renaut R23

Normally I am not such a great fan of presenting somewhat botched models, but here we go in the name of complete honesty (after all, not all kits come out perfect, don't they?):

As mentioned in a previous post, I am in quite a spare with my race car models since some years. Suddently it 2eemed, as if I could do nothing right anymore. Consequently, I had like 5 unfinished kits sitting around, where I got stuck because of some flaw or the other. And a stack of about 30 kits which I didn't even dared to start.

Recently I decided to just go ahead again ... I went with the "easier" Revell 1/24 kits before trying my hand again at my stack of 1/20 F1 cars.

So, after completing one of the unfinished cars, I wanted to do this little kit as a "weekend edition" out of box (I even left the engine completly out). It went pretty well in the beginning, until I decided to use the kit provided decals for the yellow parts of the livery. The decals either would really bend in all the right directions or, with the help of softener, dissolve nearly instantly. As a result, some of the not dissolved pieces dry on wrongly and partly scaled of afterwards, while the dissolved sections looked like anything but the original. To add to the insult, I also had massive problems with the fitting of the rear wing. Which, honesty - remember - started with me glueing the wings to the endplates forward side backwards. It didn't get better after that ....

I tried to correct some parts with paint but then just went ahead and finished the build without too much care for covering all mishaps or any more details (as one result, there are no exhaust pipes within the "chimneys").

I tried the pictures from the best angles and actually the car sitting in my shelf on a not too prominent spot, it is  - let's say - OK.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(here you can spot some of the damage, especially around the front suspension and near the "E" / "elf" on the engine cover)

Thanks for looking and coments welcome as always.

Cheers

• Like 16

32 minutes ago, 2Step said:

it is  - let's say - OK.

Despite all your problems, it looks better than OK in the pics, I think it looks very nice indeed! I think we all have models that are sent to try is - recently I binned three Monogram jet kits I was building for my model club's competition as nothing would go right with them - I'd only ever thrown away 2 kits in my life before!

Good job on finishing the Renault and getting it to look so good! 

Keith

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I think it looks very nice indeed!

As I said, I took care to show it from it's best side ... but thanks!

Yeah, I hardly throw kits away, at least they can serve as spare parts. I got rid of some that I build as a teenager or younger only recently (and I am retired). I always thought I could bring them still up to my todays standards. But some of them were broken by my many moves and just beyond repair. So I kept some pieces for future projects and the rest had to go.

• Like 1

That's not too bad, I think you've made a good recovery there.

It's funny how you said you'd start with

4 hours ago, 2Step said:

"easier" Revell 1/24 kits before trying my hand again at my stack of 1/20 F1 cars.

I've only built a couple of Revell 1/24th kits and both were a lot harder than the Tamiya 1/20th F1 cars that seem to go together really well.

I'm sticking with 1/20th scale now so as they all look the same size in the cabinet, currently on a Senna MP4/4

The main thing is that you didn't give up and stuck with it to the end, we've all had the kits that fought us all the way :) 

Looking forward to your next project :)

Ian

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

That's not too bad, I think you've made a good recovery there.

It's funny how you said you'd start with

I've only built a couple of Revell 1/24th kits and both were a lot harder than the Tamiya 1/20th F1 cars that seem to go together really well.

I'm sticking with 1/20th scale now so as they all look the same size in the cabinet, currently on a Senna MP4/4

The main thing is that you didn't give up and stuck with it to the end, we've all had the kits that fought us all the way :) 

Looking forward to your next project :)

Ian

I am using two different cabinets ;)

Maybe I should have said OOB instead of easier. For the Revell kits I don't have/use aftermarket details or decals - and, like I said, if possible leave out the engine, so no detailing there, using the kit's decals for seatbelts etc. ...

Thanks for your encouragement.

BTW, here are my other racing models:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3R7EApxULTfrgsPu6

(Also showing of some of my other mishaps)

Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2Step said:

I am using two different cabinets ;)

🤣 🤣

I've just had a quick look through your other models, there are some great builds there, well done :) 

I can't see that there are many mishaps :) 

Ian :) 

• Thanks 1

I think it’s turned out rather nice! You’ve made more progress than me,I have about 6 Revell 1/24 F1 kits and haven’t even started one! That’s a very nice result,I love the colours,what blue did you use? Chris.

• Thanks 1

I think as modellers we tend towards being perfectionists, particularly with our own work, and the flaws which stand out to us are completely missed by other people, even other modellers. To my eyes this one looks fine, definitely worth having in the display cabinet.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kitkent said:

I think it’s turned out rather nice! You’ve made more progress than me,I have about 6 Revell 1/24 F1 kits and haven’t even started one! That’s a very nice result,I love the colours,what blue did you use? Chris.

Thanks for the compliments.

That was a Tamiya rattle can TS10 French Blue that was sitting around waiting for me to get to my Tamiya Ligier. I assumed the blue color is supposed to represent the French racing color (this being a Renault) and therefore should match pretty well.

Cheers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spiny said:

I think as modellers we tend towards being perfectionists, particularly with our own work, and the flaws which stand out to us are completely missed by other people, even other modellers. To my eyes this one looks fine, definitely worth having in the display cabinet.

I agree completely with your statement about being perfectionists. Worth the display? Yeah I guess, as in that particular cabinet you practically excusively see one side of the kit, so "best foot forward". Andhave it collect a couple of years of dust and it will look perfect :)

Cheers

18 hours ago, Redstaff said:

🤣 🤣

I've just had a quick look through your other models, there are some great builds there, well done :) 

I can't see that there are many mishaps :) 

Ian :) 

Thanks, but the Benetton and the Jordan did not have those accidents on purpose ;)

Actually some of the damages are from my many moves, which don't go well with fragile models. E.g. the 1/12 JPS, The Benetton and the Zakspeed.

And again .... sometimes my photo taking skills are better than my modelling skills which helps to cover up the errors 😇

Cheers

• Haha 1

I would say you have done good job with this kit. These Revell F1 cars are not best kits in the world. And I know feeling that you see that there is main issues in the kit and you want it looks right.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I would say you have done good job with this kit. These Revell F1 cars are not best kits in the world. And I know feeling that you see that there is main issues in the kit and you want it looks right.

Besides the big decals, I don't even want to blame it on the kit.

My very first F1 kit was the 1994 Benetton. Then I discovered (way before the internet age) the 1/20 scale and Tamiya and was building (or collecting ;) ) them nearly exclusively. But when there was a lull in available kits like 10, 15 years ago, I bought a few of the Revell kits, mostly on sale. Well, besides a MP-4/13 they all build now and I still have a stack of about 15 1/20 Tamiya, Fujimi and Academy kits - plus about 4 started but unfinished kits.

Cheers 

I really like this!

The Revell kit is in my stash, but construction is stalled because other projects intervened.

Personally, I like the Revell kits because they are 1/24th scale, which means they can sit beside my other car builds (all 1/24th or 1/25th) and be comparable for size.

I guess that makes me something of a scale snob, because I stick to the scale no matter what.  It means the likes of Tamiya, Fujimi and Ebbro F1 kits are absent from my stash, unfortunately.

Being determined to get a nice result from my (eventual) build, your model will be a source of great inspiration.

I congratulate you!  Well done! 👏👏👏👍

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kapam said:

I really like this!

The Revell kit is in my stash, but construction is stalled because other projects intervened.

Personally, I like the Revell kits because they are 1/24th scale, which means they can sit beside my other car builds (all 1/24th or 1/25th) and be comparable for size.

I guess that makes me something of a scale snob, because I stick to the scale no matter what.  It means the likes of Tamiya, Fujimi and Ebbro F1 kits are absent from my stash, unfortunately.

Being determined to get a nice result from my (eventual) build, your model will be a source of great inspiration.

I congratulate you!  Well done! 👏👏👏👍

Yeah, me too - I am just a snob for more different scales :)

As I said somewhere, my very first 1/24 scale was the Zakspeed West and later the Benetton 195. Only then (that was before the www) I discovered the Tamiya kits (more or less the only 1/20 kits available to me).  The newer Revell kits came from a time when I already had most of the Tamiya kits and didn't want to go multi media...

Good luck with your builds!

Cheers