P-51D Lou iv.Warbird.xxxxFinishedxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Only kidding,I'm not going to light the "blue" touchpaper on the whole "blue" debate but I remember as a kid my local library had a huge book

on WW2 aircraft that I constantly borrowed full of colour profiles and the centre pages opened up to reveal Lou iv in a glorious royal blue over

natural metal finish.Sadly now we know it's all pie in the sky but taking inspiration from the restored warbirds flying over the pond a couple of

which are painted in that very scheme I'd like to build a shiney replica of one of those aircraft using the tried and trusted Hobbyboss kit and 

spare decals from the Tamiya kit complete with full D-day stripes.Grab your sunglasses!

20240229_210210 - Copy

• Like 10

38 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

We’re ready to be dazzled!

This is the inspiration.

44-63350_00701_cf1

• Like 8

There have been several threads on here about the original Lou IV that strongly suggest that the areas of the upper surfaces that had had the invasion stripes applied had subsequently been overpainted in a dark blue-grey.  At least one eye-witness account from a respected aviation historian supports this.  I'm currently stalled most of the way through building an Airfix P-51D-5 in these colours, mostly because the invasion stripes decals are about as thick and stiff as a sheet of deep-frozen lino.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, stever219 said:

There have been several threads on here about the original Lou IV that strongly suggest that the areas of the upper surfaces that had had the invasion stripes applied had subsequently been overpainted in a dark blue-grey.  At least one eye-witness account from a respected aviation historian supports this.  I'm currently stalled most of the way through building an Airfix P-51D-5 in these colours, mostly because the invasion stripes decals are about as thick and stiff as a sheet of deep-frozen lino.

Yea Steve that debate has raged for year's despite members of the ground crew who stated that no blue was ever applied the one suggestion was RAF green was used as tins

of the stuff were lying around the well known colour photo added to the myth which some say was caused by the quality of the wartime colour film,we'll never know.

• Like 2

Hi Steve 

Welcome aboard again ..

Have fun with your build

Regarding the debate I think that it would be fun to build one Mustang with the top surfaces painted in blue and another one with the top surfaces painted in green ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Less wartime colour film than postwar colour reproduction: I have seen it as green and as blue.  I feel that the wartime comments from aviation enthusiasts (Observer Corps members?) who visited the airfield are somewhat stronger evidence than postwar memories.  There are other examples: did the 357th use OD or RAF Dark Green?  Different groundcrew members say different things.  There was a US carrier late in the Pacific War that was known in the fleet because of its blue camouflage: asking one sailor who was on it at the time answered that it was grey, like all the other ships.  So could it be that memories of the common colour OD have influenced other people's memories?

At this time OD was no longer specified for US aircraft, but several 8th AF fighter groups were intended to go to France, so overpainting the stripes with a dark green  rather than a silver to better match the aircraft overall makes sense.  Equally it is the time when the units were blossoming out in bright colours, so the blue makes sense from that viewpoint.

I don't think this is ever going to be settled.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's  without going down the "what if" road I hope it's OK to go down the most likely one instead.

the restored version I'm basing this on has a passenger seat fitted and try as I could no photo's of the cockpit can be found which is good as I can use artistic

license and rearrange the interior and find a spare seat from the spares box.

20240322_102500

• Like 7

38 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

the restored version I'm basing this on has a passenger seat fitted and try as I could no photo's of the cockpit can be found which is good as I can use artistic

license and rearrange the interior and find a spare seat from the spares box.

Are you going to source a figure of a joyriding passenger too? 🤭

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Hi folk's well the seat was scratch built from a plastic knife blade box with the base coat on and harness added looks OK.

20240323_190822

• Like 9

Hi folk's here's where I am with this one,no loop or arial on the restored Warbird so after the seams were cleaned up in with the filler.

20240330_195331

• Like 7

Hi folk's,rattle can primed and the white area's of the ID bands painted,decided to show the upper bands which the real aircraft only wore for a few days and got a lovely blue

for the upper colour.

20240402_204635

• Like 6

Hi Folk's.Brushed on the underside and fuselage aluminium then brushed on the blue uppers and black stripes,sprayed the yellow forward fuselage so now out of Tamiya tape!

20240405_182942

• Like 12

While I'm not convinced by the blue colour debate, can't argue against that looking really good in blue!

• Like 2

Evening folk's,weekend off,weather terrible so plenty of modelling time.Tamiya decals were awful especially the silver surrounds for the stars the wing one was way out of shape so left

it off but trimmed the fuselage one's and got a reasonable fit.

20240406_203525

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Looking fantastic! What a damn' nuisance about the decals - are spares available anywhere?

Cheers, 

Mark 

I've two more sheets Mark but I suspect the same issue will turn up.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I've two more sheets Mark but I suspect the same issue will turn up.

That's a bother - hope it was a one off problem and the spares are good!

• Like 1

Hi folk's had a struggle but replaced the original wing star with a spare and got the silver decal cut to match the star as on the real aircraft,I also noticed these restored warbirds

have later clipped props (maybe from old F-51's)?Not a great deal left to do now especially as no weathering needed.

20240410_123129

• Like 5