Emma's Rubicon BTR-60PB in East German colours

Tim R-T-C

The following is being posted on behalf of my better half, Emma, fellow modeller and a regular exhibitor on the IPMS UK show circuit, but not a fan of writing prose and working out forums.

spacer.png

Seasons greetings to everyone, this is the first time I have ever tried a Blitz(en)build - but after a Snowball I decided it would be fun to give it a try.

Got a busy Christmas few days with my mother coming to stay, so definitely invoking the Great Escape ruling on timings.

spacer.png

The kit is by Rubicon Models in their usual 1/56 scale (28mm wargame scale). I love these models as they have a varied output, its really handy scale for diorama building and they have a very friendly presence and community here in the UK who made me feel very welcome.

Although their earlier kits were quite basic, primarily for wargamers, the newer output is as detailed as any dedicated display kit. Assembly is relatively straight forward but there are a lot of parts and lots of variants in the box, so careful reading is required.

This boxing is part of their Vietnam War series, but the decal sheet includes numerous European operators, so I'm going to make an East German version as we had an interesting trip to the former DDR last year. It will hopefully be in a suitable vignette in the future but I will need to source some suitable figures.

spacer.png

I clocked up an hour of assembly on Christmas Eve before other jobs called.

Hopefully I will make a better job of the paintwork than when trying to ice these cookies 😀

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 7

• Tim R-T-C changed the title to Emma's Rubicon BTR-60PB in East German colours
12 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

I was just thinking that. Are they still tough enough for wargames?

Surprisingly yes! I built their Hetzer in the 38(t) build and it's a tough little beastie. I think they simplify the chassis to help and it's a very strong plastic, but glues easily enough so I don't know what voodoo magic that involves!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mjwomack said:

Surprisingly yes! I built their Hetzer in the 38(t) build and it's a tough little beastie. I think they simplify the chassis to help and it's a very strong plastic, but glues easily enough so I don't know what voodoo magic that involves!

Games Workshop plastic is also extremely strong stuff yet glues and moulds nicely. 

• Like 1

Thank you for nice comments about the build and festive jumper 😁

spacer.png

Yet another fantastic Rubicon build. I definitely feel they would be durable for wargame use and I do love all the different variants included in each boxing.

spacer.png

Clocked up two hours this evening, fitting a variety of fiddly handles and joining the body up. I closed up all the hatches as I couldn't decide on a particular diorama setting yet, I'm tempted to get another to make as a commander vehicle with figures on and around it.

spacer.png

Painted up, using an Ak 3rd Gen, brush painted and went on very smoothly.

2 hours clocked up tonight. Hopefully decals and light weathering tomorrow will finish her up within the timescale.

spacer.png

Did get a visit from the quality inspector who seemed happy with progress.

Edited by Tim R-T-C
  • Like 6

spacer.png

A final push tonight to fit the vinyl tyres and the markings

spacer.png

And all is done. A fun build and I am amazed at myself for completing it in such a short timescale. I will probably varnish when I get a chance and add some weathering for a diorama, but it is complete for now.

• Like 8

On 12/26/2023 at 11:04 PM, Tim R-T-C said:

Did get a visit from the quality inspector who seemed happy with progress.

Are you allowed to stop the clock while an audit is in progress?

A lovely little machine- @JeroenS The owner of Model Behaviour in Long Melford put me on to Rubicon kits and they are absolute belters! As with Emma's one here, so many options in the box. I've got the Tiger II with full interior lined up for the Tiger GB; I'm at a loss as to why wargamers need a full interior but it's another example of what great value these little chaps are (no I don't own the company, I just think they deserve wider exposure even if they are in a strange scale to us modellers)

Edited by Mjwomack
autocucumbered - again
  • Like 1