Zvezda Replacement Parts? 1/72 C-130

Mark V

I have a WiP thread going, but wanted to ask here in case the subject or WiP isn't in your normal scan.

Zvezda 1/72 C-130H - Work in Progress - Aircraft - Britmodeller.com

I have a flawed canopy in my Zvezda 1/72nd C-130H kit.  It is bowed outward so does not wrap around the fuselage opening properly.  I don't want to try and bend it in place because I expect it would probably break, or crack and be totally unusable.  Well, even more than it is now.  At least the side pieces fit well.

Bad Canopy 3

Does anyone know if Zvezda provides replacement parts?  If so, any luck with that?  Who do I contact?

Otherwise I will have to carve up the windscreen and try to piece one together with flat clear sheet plastic.  

See my WiP for more photos.

as you are in the USA I suggest you start with the US importer/distributor, which according to this: https://en.zvezda.org.ru/distributors/ is

STEVENS INTERNATIONAL. Email: [email protected]. Tel: + 1 856 435 1555. 706 N.White Horse Pike. Magnolia, N.J. 08049 P.O.Box 126.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 1

I had one like that a while ago. I glued one side in and let it set hard then glued the other side in. No breakage or cracking. It is worth trying it before getting a replacement as it would save time and possible cost. If it does break you would not hasve lost anything.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I had one like that a while ago. I glued one side in and let it set hard then glued the other side in. No breakage or cracking. It is worth trying it before getting a replacement as it would save time and possible cost. If it does break you would not hasve lost anything.

I think Rhino suggested the best way. You can proceed step by step gluing the windscreen in three or four steps always waiting for the complete drying before proceed with the next step. Let us know!

Bye

This is information from the Zvezda company. It works in Russia, but I don't know how shipping outside of Russia works now. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to wait a long time for an answer to an email. It is very important to fill in all the points in the letter that they ask.

Dear gentlemen and ladies!

The production of the Zvezda company is massive, which means that there may be defects in the products produced. Here's what you need to do if you come across defective products:

-First of all, contact the store where you bought the product with a request to replace it in accordance with Article 25 of the Law of the Russian Federation "On Consumer Protection". If you do not have the opportunity to contact the store, then you need to send a photo confirmation of the marriage and a detailed description of the problem to the mail [email protected] and [email protected] with your full name, your email and physical address.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RAF4EVER said:

Why do they need to know if you are married 😈

Ha-ha, this is an incorrect Google translation.

In Russian, the word "брак" (brak) has two meanings, 1. marriage and 2. defective.

Agree, there is a secret deep meaning in this. 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

In Russian, the word "брак" (brak) has two meanings, 1. marriage and 2. defective.

So in Russia... defect marries you?

I was fortunate and both of my Zvezda Herks have unbowed windscreens, but one suggestion in addition to the advice above for self-repair would be dipping the part in hot (not boiling) water before *gently* bending back to its intended shape.  Most clear styrene is more brittle than any "solid" version because the formulation doesn't allow for the "resilient" elements of the typical chemical mix.  Softening the prt before bending should help improve flexibility and reduce the risk of cracking.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dmitriy1967 said:

Russian is a very far-sighted language 🙂

• Haha 1

Rhino's suggestion is the way to go. In contrast to most other manufacturers clear parts which are quite brittle, Zvezda uses a material which is extremely flexible. So it should be no problem to glue it, little by little, back in position.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

I'm currently building the Zvezda AC-130J and my canopy was like the OP's canopy, 2nd one I've had like it. I have glued it in as per my original reply completely successfully, and it is looking good, no cracks, no snaps, so definitely the way to go.

58 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I'm currently building the Zvezda AC-130J and my canopy was like the OP's canopy, 2nd one I've had like it. I have glued it in as per my original reply completely successfully, and it is looking good, no cracks, no snaps, so definitely the way to go.

Roger that.  Thanks for the tip.  What glue do you use?  I usually use Testor clear parts cement, which is basically white glue like Elmers.  I’m not sure if it would hold when stressed. 
I did however send emails to the addresses noted in previous replies. Thanks to the guys for those.  I’m going to pause the build to see if I get any responses. 

13 minutes ago, Mark V said:

Roger that.  Thanks for the tip.  What glue do you use?  I usually use Testor clear parts cement, which is basically white glue like Elmers.  I’m not sure if it would hold when stressed. 
I did however send emails to the addresses noted in previous replies. Thanks to the guys for those.  I’m going to pause the build to see if I get any responses. 

My favourite glue is Tamiya Extra Thin Cement. White glue would struggle to hold the part in place. It took 30 minutes to glue the bent canopy in place and it is in solid.

• Like 1

Hi all, 

Stumbled upon this topic when I search for "zvezda replacement parts"...

A friend of ours just posted about missing sprue tree (yes... Not just missing parts, but a full sprue tree) on the Hercules C-130J-30 kits. 

The kit he bought is missing Sprue tree "K" (which contain the extension floor, paratrooper door, and parts of interior ribbing, etc). And apparently the same thing happened to some other modeller here and their C-130J-30 kit. 

We don't have distributor here in Indonesia, so people just bought from other people who pre ordered it from online stores in HK or europe or other means. 

Any possibility we can get replacement sprue by emailing zvezda directly?

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline

On 12/21/2023 at 4:51 PM, Shorty84 said:

Rhino's suggestion is the way to go. In contrast to most other manufacturers clear parts which are quite brittle, Zvezda uses a material which is extremely flexible.

I actually stepped on the canopy from a Zvezda 1/72 Yak-3 easy-assembly kit. Squashed it flat, but with not a single crack. Other canopies would have shattered into a dozen pieces.

John