U.S. Navy Type 2 LST : 1/350 AFV Club

Faraway

As a change from my usual resin and 3D kits, I'm going to make a start on this one and unusually for me not add any 3D parts. I've had a close look at the smaller parts, guns etc. are quite nicely moulded so I'm using them.

So, as per tradition here are some sprue pictures.

p?i=4d2975349fee5341012d69babafcc44c

Interesting the AFV have moulded 'oil canning' on the hull sides.

p?i=99d68324bcd77a02652f47bf7febb511

No apparent flash and all nicely moulded.

p?i=fb278bc4bf9d2f59941ab0c9fb88f7f2

p?i=0de6b234622f749a3a7b7b681a53961a

p?i=5b1f14e7a2447c45497a10a7e7ae7210

There are a couple more, but not needed here.

Now, I've said I'm not adding any 3D parts. But I am adding some PE.

p?i=bf7a3b4a44f2d53d2848107d7c784533

Now, this set of PE is not actually for this particular kit, but for one that was produced a while ago. So there might be parts that don't fit, however, I've compared the PE instructions with the kit instructions and they are very similar.

So we shall see.

Jon

• Like 9

Gidday Jon, not wasting any time, are you? 🙂 But yeah, the parts look crisply molded, I couldn't see any flash either. If you want some I'm sure my Airfix kits could spare some flash for you. 😁 Good luck with this.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, not wasting any time, are you? 🙂 But yeah, the parts look crisply molded, I couldn't see any flash either. If you want some I'm sure my Airfix kits could spare some flash for you. 😁 Good luck with this.       Regards, Jeff.

Keeps my mind active, and at my age who knows how much time I have.🕰️

Seems every time I go to the doctor, I leave with half a dozen other things. 😡

Thanks for the offer, but in this instance I’ll have to pass.

Happy Christmas to you.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

Interesting subject will it be finished before Christmas then.  :whistle:

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks. 
Bit different, init.

I get the impression you think I build ‘em fast ?:giggle:

Just putting various bits together, waiting for the paint and trying to decide……

doors open or closed ?

Jon

• Like 3

Looking forward to watching your effort on this one Jon, it’s a kit I’m considering building for a “D-Day” themed competition I may enter next year. There are 1/350 scale 3D printed barrage balloons out there that would look very cool tethered to this LST parked on a beach diorama.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Faraway said:

doors open or closed ?

Jon are you thinking of a diorama scene for this one it would go great with some of the Black cat LCT and LCVP just a thought mind.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Jon are you thinking of a diorama scene for this one it would go great with some of the Black cat LCT and LCVP just a thought mind.

Stay Safe

beefy

I hadn’t, but that might be fun. 
Jon

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nearsightedjohn said:

Looking forward to watching your effort on this one Jon, it’s a kit I’m considering building for a “D-Day” themed competition I may enter next year. There are 1/350 scale 3D printed barrage balloons out there that would look very cool tethered to this LST parked on a beach diorama.

That sounds interesting. Who produces the barrage balloons ?

If you need vehicles try here….https://www.larsenal.com/

Jon

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Faraway said:

That sounds interesting. Who produces the barrage balloons ?

If you need vehicles try here….https://www.larsenal.com/

Jon

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CLKEYLYNC/allied-barrage-balloon-1-350th-scale?optionId=63525116&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/product/SW85QVJNR/quot-d-day-quot-balloon-1-350-scale-set-of-3

Rob 😎

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Thanks Rob.

Do you know of any references to these LST being used by the RN ?

It crossed my mind to change her nationality.

Jon

• Like 2

Oh nice! I'm thrilled that AFV Club is producing these, and you're building one. :popcorn:

Oh, and you should very much be able to build her as an RN vessel.

I'm hoping AFV Club do a 542-Class so I can build a model of a ship my father served on when he was activated during the Korean War; he was sailing as a US merchant deck officer. I have some photos in https://postimg.cc/gallery/qJDKrhg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Oh nice! I'm thrilled that AFV Club is producing these, and you're building one. :popcorn:

Oh, and you should very much be able to build her as an RN vessel.

I'm hoping AFV Club do a 542-Class so I can build a model of a ship my father served on when he was activated during the Korean War; he was sailing as a US merchant deck officer. I have some photos in https://postimg.cc/gallery/qJDKrhg

Those photos are brilliant. Especially the one bows on, when I dry fitted the bow doors on the kit, there was a gap down the hinge join, which I thought was a mould fault. But your photo shows the same gap, so alls well.

Jon

2 hours ago, nearsightedjohn said:

I saw them on the Shapeways website here. I think they come in both US and British versions and are reasonably priced for 3D printed components (although shipping and customs costs may make these $$$ for the UK).

The old creative juices are starting to flow.

Jon

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Interesting subject there Jon, lots of scope for an interesting diorama if you decide on that route.

Stuart

When I started this thread, the prospect of a diorama hadn’t even crossed my mind. But now……….

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Faraway said:

Thanks Rob.

Do you know of any references to these LST being used by the RN ?

It crossed my mind to change her nationality.

Jon

Hi Jon - I'm time-pressed at the moment but if you go to NavSource.org and check LST's then at least one at a very quick glance, HM 301 was commissioned by the RN

HTH

Rob

• Thanks 1

Jon, if you decide to go the diorama route, it looks like there are actual nice 1/350 allied infantry soldier figures available from Black Cat (website here)

spacer.png

I hope you do decide to do a diorama, I’m considering doing one for my club competition next summer and would love to see where you go with this (some of my best modeling efforts have been inspired by what I see here!). The downside of a diorama is the additional cost and work required on figures, vehicles, base materials….have fun!!

Edited by nearsightedjohn
  • Like 1

I’m not going to do a diorama, it’ll take up too much room.
So it’s to be built as it comes with the added PE, with which I’m already discovering the differences between the kit it’s for and this kit, so far nothing major so it should go on ok.

Jon

• Like 2

Today, I'll be mostly making ready use ammunition lockers.

Components.....

p?i=fb121f3cab23ddfb1c2e765c511850e7

Lid on

p?i=7775b5ad0793d4a030d4e86b9478420b

One side...

p?i=f97bacb240fdfb598bf89abda0f70404

And the other.....

p?i=ca15d884d3cc5ed0a5ce82cf0164bf31

Five done....

p?i=a73911760978977ee822cc8a092f3356

Nineteen to go....

p?i=8c9404ec608d6b43a2ccd79dc2302e41

These definitely have the aaarrrggghhh factor.

If you remember, earlier on I said that this set of PE isn't actually for this kit, but for a kit of an earlier version of this vessel. 

So just to make things more complicated, I'm having to cross reference this kits instructions with the earlier one AND the PE instructions, to try and determine which parts I'm to use here and which are of no use.

But so far I'm still sane, well as sane as a ship builder can be.

Jon

• Like 7

35 minutes ago, Faraway said:

well as sane as a ship builder can be

Gidday Jon, I'm glad you clarified that last statement. 🙂 You're doing well with the ammo RU lockers, I wouldn't be able to manage them. And so many on such a small craft. Aren't you glad you're not doing a US battleship? 😁       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Suffer for your art.  Well done on the boxes.  Lifeshortnening, particularly when there are Micromaster and :cat:versions.

Rob

44 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Suffer for your art.  Well done on the boxes.  Lifeshortnening, particularly when there are Micromaster and :cat:versions.

Rob

Now he tells me :doh:

I’ve bought this PE detail set, and I’m damn well going to use as much as possible 😂😂😂😂😂

Jon

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Having reached my PE limit, I thought I'd paint the hull.

Second colour added.

U.S. Navy Blue 5N. I've had a departure from my usual Colourcoats paint as I had these colours from a previous build, so I'm using Lifecolor Acrylics.

They're ok, took a while to get the thinning ratio right, but it seems to cover ok as long as I don't get too impatient and build up the coats gradually, because it is a dries very slowly.

AND don't reduce the paint flow too much, or it just dries in the nozzle. It's definitely not as forgiving as Colourcoats, and will definitely need a primer on the brass parts.

Jon

p?i=68f0740a59e2b76c7a11175f896eb915

Confession. :whistle:

The red antifoul is NOT a U.S. Navy shade, its Kriegsmarine Rot 5 Schiffsbodenfarbe, but it's red so what the heck.

That also went on quite well, and didn't lift when I removed the masking tape, which is always a bonus AND I took a risk and I sprayed it directly onto the plastic NO primer.

Jon

• Like 5