Tamiya 1/35 Comet

Evenin'. I fancied a break from sand coloured things (M2 Bradley and the IDF Zelda) and since I had a fair amount of AK's WW2 British paint set and I had just rattled through the Airfix Cromwell it seemed daft not to raid the stash and pull out Tamiya's Comet. 

It's Tamiya so you know it fit together with no issues, the instructions were spot on and there's no real "fiddly" bits. All hand painted using AK's SCC Olive Drab, Rubber black and the track and wheel paint set. The weathering is a mix of AK's Weathering (Brown Wash and Dark Streaking grime) which I've never used before and Tamiya's mud and flat earth weathering sticks. I will just point out that whoever decided to do the white star decal that way deserves a pay rise. I was pleased it wasn't just one solid piece like the Tamiya Cromwell was and hasn't been mangled. 

Thanks for looking. 

53362604205_5c3153d4d3_b.jpg

53362604175_7a03446722_b.jpg

53362365658_49779e0cc6_b.jpg

53362155461_5ce0ab4679_b.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Nicely done, some really nice weathering, one small critique would be that perhaps pick out some details to break up the Monocrome finish,

tools, towing cable etc.

Thanks, I’ve had to use my phone camera which isn’t great and the light in the room is pretty poor but the tools and cables are all different and pop a bit. But this is partly why I’m not a fan of “green” vehicles as they are just a bit….. dull. 

I think I’ll try oil paints next time I do one and it’ll add some tonal variation. Brush painting only is a bit limiting. 

• Like 1

Hi Gregg,

Good job on the Comet, it is an elegant vehicle.
As the colleague comments above, there are options to break the monotony of green (or any single color), a very simple one, is that everything that is not the main color, must be highlighted, with its corresponding color, making there are points of localized attention, and thus break the monotony of the model.
Another option, necessary if you want to combat this, is modulation, it is true that with a brush, this effect is very limited, if not almost impossible, but, there are oil paints to the rescue...and with a brush, of course.
I do modulation with AB, but what really gives life to the color, in my case, are the oils (I would never have believed it before if they had told me...lol).
On the other hand, lighting is essential when working with color, and also when taking the photos that we are going to share.
I also use my cell phone, which is low-mid range, but I think it does a more than decent job.
I have examples published in the forum of what I am talking about, with models in a single color, and thanks to that technique, they are pleasant to see.
By the way, my favorite color to work with is green, it is much easier for me than camo or another color, I couldn't say why...lol

I include a photo of one of my kits, as an example of everything previously said.

Cheers

Francis.👍

OLeA23W.jpg

• Like 1

One of the things that would help break up the monochrome appearance would be some stowage, Various shades of green tarpaulins, crew's gear and camnets would do the trick. All that aside, you've done a good job on the Comet. Nice work.

John. 

• Like 1

Being a fellow Comet modeller I see nowt to complain about. 👍

If you're interested, no problem if you arn't. Another simply way to break up a monochrome finish is to pick out some of the raised details, bolt heads,  handles, etc with a very slightly lightened version of the original base colour. In this case take your base green add a drop or two of pale yellow or sand and with a fine brush pick out the details.

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 3

Hi all thanks for all the comments and tips that’s appreciated. Stowage is a good option, I’ve done similar with a Sherman and it does add some interest, I’ll try the oils and picking details with a lighter shade next time. I may have bought myself an Achilles as an early present so look forward to trying them out on that. 

• Like 2

Well I like it a lot. Looks good to me. I recently bought one with an eye to build an Irish army version which was the very first tank I  ever saw. On the other  hand I'm  drawn to a wartime version. 

The  best British tank of the war, deserves a better press.

• Thanks 1

Very nicely done. The muted look appeals to me.

We modellers always like to pick out the tools, which is often appropriate, but sometimes they were (are) painted to match the vehicle!   

• Thanks 1