1/350 HMS Resolution 1942

thekz

Amazing detail on the boats.

But more importantly, I see you got the the really hard part (in my opinion) which is scratchbuilding the bridge. Aside from the stern this is probably the area with the biggest differences and least kit part re-use 😛 and plenty of opportunity to pack it with even more detail, with all those open platforms.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vlad said:

But more importantly, I see you got the the really hard part (in my opinion) which is scratchbuilding the bridge.

Thank you for your kind words. Of course, it is a bit early to say that I have already managed to build the bridge. On the one hand, the lower tiers are larger in area and therefore more difficult to fit. On the other hand, the upper ones are fancier and can be seen better on the finished model. And - the final touch is the two sloping rear legs of the mast, penetrating the whole structure.
All in all I am cautiously optimistic, as I already have experience of building a similar superstructure on Malaya. But there is still a lot of work to be done.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Vlad said:

Oh, you did a kitbash/scratchbuild of Malaya, also in 1/350? I would love to see that if it is finished.

WIP:

Magnificent! Not sure how I missed that. I especially like the foil to make the blast mats on the bridge.

One thing to watch out for when you get to that stage on Resolution, you need to remove the "eyebrows" from the turrets since she did not have the modification to increase elevation to 30 degrees (neither did Malaya but too late there and it's a small detail many wouldn't notice).

Edited by Vlad
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Vlad said:

One thing to watch out for when you get to that stage on Resolution, you need to remove the "eyebrows" from the turrets since she did not have the modification to increase elevation to 30 degrees (neither did Malaya but too late there and it's a small detail many wouldn't notice).

You're right!
I'm even surprised I didn't notice it(((

• Haha 2

Some very fine detail work going into this build just love following and taking notes.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Today the Eastern Church celebrates the Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary:

Blagoveschenie.jpg

To thee the Champion Leader, we thy servants dedicate a feast of victory and thanksgiving, as ones rescued out of sufferings, O Theotokos; but as thou art one with might which is invincible, from all dangers that can be, do thou deliver us, that we may cry to thee: Rejoice, thou Bride unwedded!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,
I would very much like to ask advice from my readers. Obviously many of you are better versed in these matters than I am, and some of you have even served in the Navy.
Here are some photos for mood (not all of them are Resolution, but it doesn't change the essence of the matter):

the-crew-of-the-county-class-cruiser-hms

14in-shells-on-deck-of-USS-New-Mexico-BB

2023-04-20-13-28-35.png

In the story of the diorama, my battleship is standing on a barrel in a base somewhere in the Indian Ocean and receiving an ammo. Some of the crew is involved in loading, some of them are standing with their hands in their pockets, some of them are sleeping, and some of them are sleeping right on the deck.

61-Yg-DBy-Dn-NA.jpg

a43.jpg

It is understandable - it is hot in the cabins.

Question: in this situation should there be watchmen on the bridge near the observation devices (all these ALO, ADO, PPD etc.)?

euralis.jpg

633efaa1e5ef9f088d1413e9-a105591-v6.jpg

2023-11-01-11-35-45.png

bridge-equipment-02.jpg

And in the directors of anti-aircraft guns? 

:think:

• Like 2

G'day @thekz, I would imagine the bridge is always manned, but generally not by anyone wearing a dress or skirts. 😁 Depending on the location and hence level of threat some of the AA guns and directors would also be manned in time of war I would think.

But as I understand it, hands-in-pockets is a no-no in the navy. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

P.S. - that second photo is interesting. It looks to be USN with the three-gun turrets. But there has been quite a bit of discussion on the weathering of timber decks here and elsewhere. That deck looks darker than I thought it would be, I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. Thanks for sharing. Regards again.

• Like 1

As an educated guess, I would say that on active service at least an officer of the watch and a couple of ratings would be stationed on the bridge at all times.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

But there has been quite a bit of discussion on the weathering of timber decks here and elsewhere. That deck looks darker than I thought it would be, I'll have to keep that in mind in the future.

A well scrubbed teak deck can vary between a very light bleached bone when dry through to a very dark brown, almost black when soaking wet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello,
It's time for the funnel!

IMG-7069.jpg

The funnel is not complicated and, as you can see, the parts from the kit came in handy.

The growth of the superstructure upwards has stopped for the time being, and I was busy setting up the life on the already built levels.

IMG-7073.jpg

IMG-7076.jpg

IMG-7077.jpg

And that's not all! How will I assemble and paint it? I'm scared.

On the shelterdeck you can see a 90 per cent complete 50ft steam picket. Its presence in 1942 may seem anachronistic. I myself thought for a long time that it was a mistake of ‘Profily Morskie’ (they draw even two!). But the deeply respected @foeth, in his blog about Royal Navy ships boats, publishes a photo like this:

2023-07-05-14-33-46.png

‘A 50ft Steam Picket of HMS Resolution, probably around 1942-1943 (East Africa)’.

Personally, I don't see any evidence in this photo that it is a boat from HMS Resolution, but it's a case where it's a sin to disagree.

God bless you Evert-jan with good health and a harmless wife, and a 50ft steam boat for us!

The hull is not completely forgotten either:

IMG-7081.jpg

IMG-7080.jpg

I've finished the deck planking, drilled the illuminators and moved on to the bollards. There is still a lot to do here too!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, thekz said:

On the shelterdeck you can see a 90 per cent complete 50ft steam picket.

G'day Thekz, I did notice it. Those two boats are very nice models in themselves. As for painting, I paint as I go, but then I paint with brushes. Good luck with it. She's coming along superbly.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thekz said:

But the deeply respected @foeth, in his blog about Royal Navy ships boats, publishes a photo like this:

Personally, I don't see any evidence in this photo that it is a boat from HMS Resolution, but it's a case where it's a sin to disagree.

God bless you Evert-jan with good health and a harmless wife, and a 50ft steam boat for us!

Well, very difficult to disagree with that; my pleasure! 😄 The back of this photograph had a few scribbles with the location & date. I always check the records of movement and what sources I have to check if that note is credible (usually is).

My own boatwork will continue this weekend after a quarter of doing nothing; will have to paint the pinnace as well when all the pulling boats and barges are done...

• Like 1