Heat discoloured metal - eg rear fuselage of F-100

leyreynolds

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at the photo above, we appear to be talking about a natural-metal base, with vertical, yellow/brown/purple scorch-marks caused by extended flying. I was taking photos of the example at the Midland Air Museum, UK, last week and was very interested to see how the burn-patterns manifest themselves.

Definitely a job for an airbrush, this one. I would think the subtle patterning of the scorching would be very difficult to re-produce with a paint-brush. 

Cheers. 

Chris.  

I just paint such areas gun metal, steel or dull aluminium and then use Tamiya dry pigments with soot, burnt orange and burnt blue effects. Just apply sponge top down following the panel lines and you get very realistic result. 

First use dark pigment, then orange and a little blue on top. Mixing amount of orange and blue gets you almost any tone from the above steel tempering range table.

99fa9f7fd98e87eb1c05466e58cfb233.jpg

Edited by Dennis_C

What I did was to paint the fuselage as normal and then varnish the rear section. Over this, using a very fine brush I painted light and irregular streaks of acrylic paints of dark brown, dark and mid shade blue and Tamiya 'Smoke' . Then I washed over it all with a brush full of methylated spirits which dissolves the paint and melds it all together. All brushing was done around the fuselage and never along it and the streaks were sort-of within panels if any were marked