He 219 A-0 Uhu Zoukei-mura

wow that's really nice work Alistair, not easy to do at all.

No wonder it took you so long just for the tail. Being 1/32nd will make the job just a wee bit easier.

From the photos of the real thing, the factory "mottle" looks way better than the museums attempt!

@galgos that's just really careful airbrushing work by hand!!!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, galgos said:

My apologies if you’ve already mentioned it Alister, but how did you achieve the authentic reverse mottling effect….a mask of some kind? 

I should have taken some pictures of my preparation work Max but will try to remember when i start the next section and post some pictures of the outline sketch .

I firstly sprayed a coat of Rlm 75 and when fully cured very lightly sketched the Pattern with a white pencil .  I had first practiced the pattern on paper to get the scale and shape that i could duplicate well .

Sods law that the first attempt had the spray width too narrow . It would have been perfect for 1/48 th . If i had attempted that it would have been too wide .

The main part is going too be harder as much larger and difficult to keep airbrush at right angles to the model . 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update this week as hot weather halted spraying until the welcome return of Southwest drizzle and lower temps .

IMG_20230910_124215276

Halfords grey plastic primer applied . Next to get the pre-shading done but that will have to wait for a week as im away on holiday .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/09/2023 at 19:20, galgos said:

So that’s all free-handed Alistair, I doff my hat to you! I found this: 

73gMyY.jpg

challenging enough but yours is a whole new level! Amazing. 

This is how i lay down the pattern before i apply the paint .

IMG_20230929_172820491

IMG_20230929_172836506

I find that with a pattern like this i need something to follow as would probably go competently off course and get too large or small . I have even remembered not to completely finish spraying over the lines so i have an idea of what to sketch in the next session . 

Its now that i am really understanding how large an area i have to paint . I would not recommend doing this scheme if your airbrush compressor doesn't have an air reservoir .

Probably going to take 4 to 5 sessions to get the top colors  nailed .

• Like 3

that's one thing I have never gotten the hang of, and that's doing those really fine lines with an airbrush! How exactly do you do it, the the setup up compressor and paint wise.......have my glasses on and notebook ready!!! :D

• Like 1

On 04/10/2023 at 08:44, trickyrich said:

that's one thing I have never gotten the hang of, and that's doing those really fine lines with an airbrush! How exactly do you do it, the the setup up compressor and paint wise.......have my glasses on and notebook ready!!! :D

I would never set myself up as a provider of useful airbrush techniques as my thin lines are at best average. In 1/32 it's a little easier but in 1/72 no way .

Ok now for what I did (not advice 😉)

Used enamel paint, well stirred and diluted around 40/60 paint thinners.

Air compressor set to 10 psi . I find it easier now I have a compressor with an air reservoir giving more consistent pressure ,also helps preventing compressor over heating. It has taken 2hrs to do 1 wing .

Airbrush. Iwata Hp/BH with 0.2 needle and crown type nozzle protector so you can get in nice and close and avoid pushing the sprayed paint around.

Choose the Goldylocks weather day .Not to hot or damp

Practice on some paint miles beforehand

Position area to be painted so you can spray at 90 degrees to surface . This I'm finding impossible to do with the 219 as it's so large

It is satisfying when it works out 😄

That looks superb, about the best rendition of the actual camouflage I've seen. Though @Iain Ogilvie did a brilliant job on his Revell one a long while back, his pictures have all disappeared...now you get the crown, Alistair! 👑☺️👍

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/10/2023 at 08:34, Alan P said:

That looks superb, about the best rendition of the actual camouflage I've seen. Though @Iain Ogilvie did a brilliant job on his Revell one a long while back, his pictures have all disappeared...now you get the crown, Alistair! 👑☺️👍

Thanks Alan .I took a look at Ians build thread and could see that he received lots of praise for the build and paint job . A curse of the digital age with vanishing photos . wont belong before i reach my limit with Flikr and have to start deleting too .

This is where im at now .

Top camouflage now finished , thank god , became a bit of a slog but nice to have it behind me .

IMG_20231026_115400656 IMG_20231026_122429915

Not 100 percent consistent from back to front but its passed  my test

Tomorrow the under surface or part of

Cheers

Alistair

• Like 7

That's really set it off, what a beautiful paint job. The size of the thing makes it very difficult to achieve a consistent look all over but you've managed it somehow 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Hmmm, looks like it’s going to be tight Alistair, but not worth rushing it just to meet an end date…..the final finish in the display cabinet is more important. I assume those are Eberspacher (sp?) exhausts as on the later Bf110s? 

• Like 1

Thanks Alan and Max for your encouragement .  i was probably just in with a chance of a finnish by the 19th but now with the extra month im confident this one will make the gallery , no im more than confident . It will be completed  ;)

I have had a concentrated effort to tick off all the little jobs that got left behind during the main construction such as wheels , undercarriage legs radar antenna etc .

The painting of national markings and codes has been done . Interestingly it seems possible that ZM called out the wrong color code letter for the aircraft i decided to go with .  

IMG_20231108_123146754

Airframe Album No.1 Second Edition: The Heinkel He 219 'Uhu'
– A Detailed Guide to The Luftwaffe's Ultimate Nightfighter
by Richard A. Franks
ISBN 978-1-912932-18-4  suggests that the F is in green 

IMG_20231108_123131002

This is what i decided to go with , so used Humbrol Brunswick green ,lighted with a touch of yellow .

I will get some pics of completed markings up latter .

I must say that the masks behaved impeccably .

Some pics of painting in progress 

IMG_20231108_122852869

Yes i still have a very small area of squiggles to do ...dam it ;)

IMG_20231106_130814015

Going to get some Rlm 66 on the canopy frames today to get that job ticked off .

Im at the stage now that i keep finding myself steeling a look at it and thinking , did i really build this . Feeling rather chuffed 

Thanks again Alan and max

• Like 4