Hasegawa 1/72 Beechcraft T-34A Mentor (first release - 1973)

52690647565_76f707d49f_b.jpg

So this is my third Group Build entry for 2023, with builds well progressed in both the Salty Dog GB (Fairey Gannet) and Marcel Bloch / Dassault GB (Dassault Ouragan). I’m trying to push my modelling output this year by getting involved in as many Group Builds as possible. There’s a good chance some of them may fall by the wayside, however if I keep slowly plugging away at things I might surprise myself and end up with a new collection of finished kits…. As they often say in this hobby, what could possibly go wrong!

So as a nice little Japanese training buddy to @stevej60’s Fuji T-1a, I present Hasegawa’s rather cute little Beechcraft T-34 Mentor. A kit first released in 1973, it’s includes five decal options and a nifty little tow tug. My boxing seems to be from around 1977 and the silvered coloured parts are quite crisp and flash free. One of the Japanese options is painted in all over International Orange which has taken my fancy and be a nice addition to my small collection of colourful cabinet models.

Like a number of these classic GB’s, this will do nothing for my stash reduction. There’s no doubt I’ll see a number of great builds I’ve never ever considered, then go on a mad search to try and acquire some!

So big cheers and best of luck to all ‘Big in Japan’ contributes.. Dave 

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

and you're far too young and good looking to remember 1973,

If only Pat… there’s photos out there of Mum dressing me up in some short legged red and white one-zie wearing knee high socks somewhere about that time… thankfully the fashion has changed, but that mat of hair is quickly thinning out! If it wasn’t for this GB I’d probably stay well clear of subjects like this, which is why they are always so much fun to get involved with. Let’s see how we go hey! 

Cheers and best of luck with the Hosting duties Pat… Dave 

• Thanks 1

And we are ‘IKU’ …… that means ‘GO'! 

I made a quick start to this basic little Beechcraft Mentor kit and decided up front to tweak it a bit. The two seats had a few minor plastic imperfections that I couldn't seem to sand out, so I decided to make some seat cushions out of ribbed plastic card. The cockpit sidewalls have no detail whatsoever so I used some plastic strip and a little imagination to make something representative. Please don't use this as reference material, I have no idea what the real aircraft looks like. 

The instructions advise you to build up the main undercarriage struts before assembling the wings together so I took their advice and followed it. The instructions also provide a little kiddies warning… and I quote - “After the parts are taken out, cut the bag into pieces to prevent the infant from covering its head”! Fair enough I suppose!! 

Here’s the  first progress pic. 

Cheers and good luck to all GB members.. Dave 

52696037339_43e1d86f82_b.jpg

• Like 8

Definitely one I remember sitting on the shelf in John Menzies with other exotic JASDF types like the T-1 and the F-86, not to mention the He-51.

Not a kit I've ever built so following with interest. 

John 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, John said:

Definitely one I remember sitting on the shelf in John Menzies with other exotic JASDF types like the T-1 and the F-86, not to mention the He-51.

Not a kit I've ever built so following with interest. 

John 

Same here - the first Hasegawa kits I ever built were the Frog re-boxings (though I did not realise at the time). Later I same the kits John mentioned in my then LMS in Chester but did not fancy them - I regret not picking up the He 51 now!

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

52708162245_0101d16063_b.jpg

A little more interior work shown before I add a truck load on nose weight and close up the fuselage. Additional (basic) details have been painted up in Light Gull Grey and a Dark Grey wash applied. I should be able to apply the seats just before I apply the canopy, so might repaint these again as my artistic teenage daughter tells me I’ve done a * bad job of them! 

* Not her first choice of word!! 

Should look a lot like a Mentor in the next update. 

Cheers… Dave 

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one - looks like a fun build!

On 15/02/2023 at 10:37, Rabbit Leader said:

Like a number of these classic GB’s, this will do nothing for my stash reduction.

I know that feeling. There's a voice in my head that won't go away saying "I can't believe you call yourself a modeller when you've never built a 1/35 Tamiya armour kit"...

Good luck with the kit and get Mrs R-L to change your ebay password!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Apologies for the delayed update and lack of input within this GB.... I’m just spreading myself rather thinly around a few of the other great GB’s on here. So a quick update showing that the base Mentor kit is all assembled prior to applying (hopefully) a smooth white primer. The bulk of the tow tug has been assembled as well, however the upper nose section is not glued in as yet, I’ll apply paint inside the cabin first and clean up the joins later on. There’s lots of nose weight inside that little Mentor nose, however this photo proves she won’t be a tail sitter. Overall, a neat little package that should hopefully look the part once finished. 

Cheers.. Dave 

52752098614_03613613df_b.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

More slow progress here. I’ve sprayed a few coats of white to get a good base for the yellow (tug) and orange (Mentor). Might have gone a little heavy on the paint as most of the fine raised lines on the Mentor kit are no longer there. Not sure if this was lost during construction either as it’s hard to know what you’re sanding when dealing with silver plastic. 

Cheers. Dave 

52778120341_eaa5644d9e_b.jpg

• Like 5

On 3/31/2023 at 4:45 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Did they use these in the artic ? :wink:

Ha!! not that I’m aware of mate. I’m sure some US versions were White with Orange wing tips, tail and noses, but that won’t be my one. I’m just down in Melbourne with the young fella getting ready for the Australian F1 Grand Prix, so won’t be able to progress this one until late next week. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’m just down in Melbourne with the young fella getting ready for the Australian F1Grand Prix, so won’t be able to progress this one until late next week. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Not jealous at all :envy: