Sam builds a SAM hunter : 1/48 Vietnam Weasel Thud - FINISHED. READY FOR CRITIQUE

Sam

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

craig, how amazing. sam you need to shoot a b-17 next to that thing so we can compare.

🥲

Maybe, one day, I will build a 1/48 B-17…. 

• Like 1

Spent the last couple of sessions filling little gaps here and there all over the airframe.

Fitting windshield and the canopies tested my patience, but I got it to a good enough result. Will see after priming if more work is needed. I got a funny feeling the answer will be yes. 

p?i=e46b9391e5a790806eafd40a3b164f93

First time I mask and spray the canopies on the inside as well. Given the hight sidewalls of the canopies‘ framings, it was a necessity. 
p?i=9b5b1738ba04730be894c7c142188ae8

Really, these group builds and posting of one‘s work is an absolute mojo-booster. 

The very basic ejection seats of the Hobby Boss kit are beginning to be an eyesoar. Well, too late for me to change them. I recommend using aftermarket for anyone building this kit. Especially if you choose to display the bird on the ground with canopies open. 

p?i=91c64ed604de7f84b11247f956f7654c

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Like 4

She's looking good Sam.👍

The seats are well and truly hidden by the aircrew and the closed canopies mate so don't worry about them at all.

Looks like you did a good job masking the interior of the canopies, as you say on a Thud it is quite a big area, and also a good job on getting the canopies faired in so hopefully the primer won't show much that needs correcting.

🇺🇦

For the record, I think you're taking this mediocre kit to some pretty great heights with your own extra efforts. But I'm very surprised to see all the extra work you've had to do, on what is supposed to be a modern kit. If you were to build another F-105, would you go with the Monogram kit? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

For the record, I think you're taking this mediocre kit to some pretty great heights with your own extra efforts. But I'm very surprised to see all the extra work you've had to do, on what is supposed to be a modern kit. If you were to build another F-105, would you go with the Monogram kit? 

unfortunately, I have never had the Monogram kit in my own hands, so I am unable to give you a proper answer. Ray is building that one. 

i shall dress a list of pros and cons in the end, and maybe Ray will do the same. You will then be able to compare. 

The negatives so far are the wrong vertical stabilier and the ventral fin. The ejection seats are very very basic too, in fact, you may want to exchange the whole cockpit. 

other than that I like the kit pretty much so far. I bought the eduard F-105 D/G exterior PE upgrade. Proved to be a good decision. 

The raised panel lines of the monogram kit are a red flag for me. 

If you have specific questions, I am more than happy to help. 

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, SoftScience said:

As one building (and modifying) the same kit my answer would be 'no'! I had both the Monogram F-105D and G, and I have scrapped both. First of all, the Monogram F-105G tail fin is incorrect too. Second, the Monogram kits have raised panel lines, soft details and not the best fit of parts. Their cockpits are wide enough, but they lack in detail, and so do the seats.

Until another better kit comes along I would stick to the HB F-105s.

Jens

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Sam said:

Thanks Jens for helping out with an answer 👍🏽

do you have a build log somewhere? I am asking for a friend… 😂😜

I do, but it's in Danish: https://www.danskemodelbyggere.dk/forum/index.php?topic=8019.0

I have applied most decals though, but my build stopped because I moved to a new house. I really ought to finish it. :)

Jens

• Thanks 1

Primer used Vallejo Black, thinned by 50% with Vallejo Thinner, sprayed with 0.4mm needle at 20 PSI. Very happy with the behaviour. No dry tipping, no sputtering. Nice thin full coverage. 

p?i=267495eb43ed9e3b099e65958d88e61b

p?i=5ec103a45b2ae4d92f0c8697f6f39c48

p?i=db002feab6b1846e62d8411704cb242b

p?i=53536272ff0257726da929fa0571fd46

Found some spots to do extra work on though…. 🙃

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Like 8

Playtime with waterbased acrylics…

Greyish underside

p?i=0a7fb4c4bf44f40edc2c50955eb1fb43

and the start of the SEA camouflage pattern.

added some singal white and occre yellow for tonality changes before a final blending coat. 

p?i=55cbe5993ed75f1f56ddac012aa272f5

struggling with pressure/dilution pairings for fine lines. I may fallback on bluetack masking instead of freehand spraying. 

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Also nothing wrong with using blu-tak, I have never mastered freehand spraying and use the stuff on all my camo schemes.

The frustrating part is the behavior of the paintmix out of the 0,2mm nozzle. I must be able to finetune the dilution to a lower pressure. The bloody vallejo acrylics just dry soooo fast.  

I shall nevertheless go and buy myself some blutak tomorrow…. 😤

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dansk said:

lovely use of tones sam, really good. That depth will really be felt on the end result.

Thanks Paul!

I love to mess around with the color tones. 

… and I am now officially fan of the blu-tac method. First trial:

p?i=620d3b02b29da7858290fb617eb44797

It is very fun indeed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome to the world of blu-tak Sam.👍

By the way, how do you find Hobby Photo Host? Is it easy to use?

🇺🇦

Hehe, thanks 😂

Hobby Photo host is easy to use. I chose it because it is free, and has been created apparently by a guy on this forum. (I looked at the photo hosting options in the appropriate thread of this forum). 

At the time i opted for it I was not sure yet if being on a modelers forum was something I‘d enjoy. I may choose a paying option at a later point in time. 

• Like 1