(Almost) Ready for photo flight: 1/48 Hasegawa „World Hornet“ - Swiss F/A-18D, J-5232

Sam

• 3 weeks later...

I never had to deal with so many PE parts before. Once they were all forced into place,  I coated them with Mr Metal Primer R. Then let the thing sit for a few days because I heard it would be wise to do so. 

I then considered posting pictures of that stage, decided against: i dont want to reveal where the PE parts sit, let‘s see if I managed to conceal them well enough. 

Next, the Vallejo Black Primer went on in two light coats, about 30% hot water and 70% type 2… — ah no, that was in the morning.

So: 30% thinner (vallejo) and 70% black primer. I started thinning the primer a bit because i sometimes get dry tipping and that annoying spattering with the primer. I use 21 PSI and the 0.4 evolution needle.

I am pretty satisfied with the result of the coating, however it revealed all the little spots I still have to fill/sand/prime again. You know the routine. Black primer with sunlight is merciless. At least to me. 

In the following posts some pictures:

Edited by Sam
Foreign language…

That's looking very nice indeed and the Hornet really is a very good looking aircraft. A couple of questions if I may? How did fitting the dropped flaps go? I think I read somewhere that they are difficult to align. And were there any other areas that were tricky in the assembly?

One other thing I noticed is that you've fitted the pitot and AoA probes before painting. This is one of those dilemmas that I struggle with. Fit them early and get them well fitted and cleaned up if necessary, but risk knocking them off in painting and decaling. Or leave them to the very end and then risk getting glue somewhere I shouldn't and ruining the paint job.

• Thanks 1

Hello Filler, thanks very much. 

The dropped flaps where not a problem at all, i used superglue and held the piece in place until the glue settled. I imagine using tamiya superthin or others might be a bit more fiddly.

Btw, I forgot to cut the leading edge flap in two pieces (will paint the gap black), same thing with flap „fowler piece“. 

I tried many different workflows with regards to the probes, antennas and small bits. It works best for me to glue everything in place (windscreen and canopy as well) before priming. As i seem to be unable to cleanly handle superglue, i prefer the advantage of having a clean and finished build after priming. 

Once the primer is on, I handle the model extremely carefully until completion. I learned that taking it slowly pays off. And the model only rests on beds of rosepetals (read: foamy pieces, like the ones used in aftermarket details boxings) Also, I used to smile at people using gloves when touching the painted model. I am using gloves now for this GB…. 😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 10 days of skiing holidays (in the Swiss Alps, of course), during which the black primer had enough time to cure, I managed to slot in a few moments of airbrushing before work has me back this monday. 

I used the „mottling method“ with the respective greys for upper- and underside of the jet. Then I added soft spots of various other grey to create the first part of tonal variety. I let the paint cure and will then post pictures before I start blending the paints with the heavily diluted, proper FSxxxxx colors. 

As pastime I reflected on how to paint the centerline fuel tank:  I first wanted to show the standard red STBY 121.5 on grey. I felt it looked a bit too boring. So I remembered this jug, which was used for 11 Sqdn livery from 2016 to 2019:

p?i=49dbc02f456477668056cd64460729a5

• Like 3

The grey paint is dry on the Hornet. 

p?i=92811e593dfe76b556ca45d8b089ae40

p?i=f085b4179957522fff7efabb5d204170

Now , on to painting all the little details: Antennas, sensors, radome, hinges, gun nozzle, etc. 
After that I am planning to try some oil paint rendering with white spirits, directly onto the vallejo acrylics (without matt varnish first). 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, arfa1983 said:

Ooooh this could be a contender for the winner in the gallery! 

Looks very nice! 

Thank you very much: I surely am trying a bit harder knowing that people are watching. But  I dont think I am up to some standards I have seen here… 

• 2 weeks later...

Before weathering checklist completed

here‘s a look at the jet before I start weathering it. Some oil dot filtering on certain panels, the usual streaking and leaking, traces of usage. All the clear parts for lights will go on afterwards. 

p?i=c8064932b3f7c966c44ea0a4bd8db0a7

p?i=9e82298ad323dab46ab5115285c96d64

p?i=f48d71e44e7137365b962392bfa1fd99

p?i=b6c5c33cef2a56c7e9cbf20ba3798c61

p?i=c8624992657de23e6d40801b29cb41d3

p?i=b381bd0e219ce551aa0a8175c6b25749

• Like 2