USAF WW 304’s later Days.

Corsairfoxfouruncle

Hello everyone … I think Im certifiable for sure. I have 14 builds on my desk and have opted to start a second Phantom. In this case its an 1/72 Fujimi and will be built as the later life if my RAAF F-4E.

When the Australian Air Force returned their F-4E’s the USAF converted them into F-4G’s. At this stage I haven't decided Euro or Hill scheme but will do so soon. HsKnmuI.jpg

C1PoK5g.jpg

BvF3KBS.jpg

uZbBL2m.jpg

FpkFIdv.jpg

DpVuaeX.jpg

iP44KAv.jpg

Original decals in the upper right, masks, aftermarket stencils for E’s and G’s. Now thats all good for SEA and Euro 1, but for the Hill scheme I will need to pull from spares. 

p2CGAl7.jpg

I have compared the decal sheets on the bottom and left to the original and the size is almost the same. Despite the fact they're for 1/48 F-16’s, the upper right sheet here is for F-22’s and would only be used for a set of badges. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or watch me descend into madness. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 9

I’ve decided that I will leave it up to the viewer, Im personally leaning towards the Hill Grey scheme myself. Yes it does make it look like an F-16 to a degree. However I do need one in my collection, and I do have both sides of this plane/scheme in photo’s. 

• Like 1

Strangely enough I think that the Hill Grey scheme actually suited the F-4 in whatever version.

There is also a list of decals for the F-4G on dstorm.eu, I don't know if they are appropriate for what you are going to build. Unfortunately the site also does not have a picture of 304, but has almost every other F-4G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone … I decided to dive head first into this one so I could catch up to where the “E” is. First up Fujimi’s seats are pretty generic. First thing I did was some basic modifying to bring them closer to the actual shape. gsd8luQ.jpg
I notched the sides and filed an angle to give the headrest a better shape. Next I drilled out the bit so you have the harness pass through. 

pVc4vMc.jpg

Uw2SyfB.jpg

jrkSvrB.jpg

FCy5vm6.jpg

7LMD4bk.jpg

cgcQGN5.jpg

I pre-painted the grey in case I opt to go with the Hill scheme. If I finalize and choose Euro 1 the greens should cover up the grey. 6OV6wmQ.jpg

hfrOaCE.jpg

Finally a shot of the pair next to each other. 

79jFKDN.jpg

Please feel free to chime in and give me a vote as to which scheme Euro 1 or Hill ? Otherwise please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Euro 1 or Hill ?

Dennis, Euro 1 every time.... but I keep getting diverted and have only done a Warthog years ago in that scheme. Both are nice; does the Rhino look bad in any scheme?

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Dennis, Euro 1 every time.... but I keep getting diverted and have only done a Warthog years ago in that scheme. Both are nice; does the Rhino look bad in any scheme?

Chris

No it doesn't some of my favorites are Israeli, Greek, and the Japanese planes. I am partial to the U.S. schemes as well and all of them look good. 

• Like 1

Just picked these up, rUUi7he.jpg

All I need now are the correct serials and unit insignia. There was an F-105 weasel (Microscale 72-370) sheet with the needed decals but seriously doubt any exist. 
CVJzON0.jpg

wO6jiD3.jpg

I will go place an add in wants just in case ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

All I need now are the correct serials and unit insignia. There was an F-105 weasel (Microscale 72-370) sheet with the needed decals but seriously doubt any exist. 

Finding that F-105 sheet in usable condition may be tough, but there are a couple of alternatives I can suggest:

First, I believe Microscale did a series of sheets for wing & squadron badges that covered this unit - at the very least I know it included the 35th TFW and several of its component squadrons. Since it was literally a sheet of nothing but multple badges in the same scale, it was not a good seller and is thus more commonly available on the secondhand market than type-specific sets (and usually at lower price due to the lower demand). Sorry I don't have details on sheet number but some Google-fu for "35 TFW" "Microscale" and the squadron number you need should get you close. I would note that the era represented in these badges may only be applicable for the SEA or Euro I schemes with "full color" badges, the later Hill II gray scheme toned down at least some of these markings so check your references.

The other option may seem like a cheat but is actually an interesting modeler's detail: during Desert Storm when your subject along with probably most extant F-4Gs saw combat, the units saw fit prior to the start of hostilities to "blank out" all the identifying unit markings on their airframes (even the TAC badges). The result was fresh gray patches in the shape of the badges on otherwise moderately weathered aircraft.  You could probably use the decals you have as masks to accomplish this accurately.  The excellent dstorm.eu site shows other aircraft from the same unit/base to give you a good idea of the "look and feel," though unfortunately 69-0304 is lacking photographic documentation.

Dstorm.eu Example F-4G

• Thanks 1

Thanks @CT7567 I will look for it, the two good color photo’s of my bird. Show full color badges on each intake splitter plate along with the TAC badge’s on the tail. Everything else is low-viz but those four. Thats my hang-up currently as I have most if not all of the ones I need in low-viz. Sadly I cannot change planes because Im doing a before & after build of the same airframe. 

Hello just a short update, the sanding is done for both versions of 304. I am currently trying to get a belly-strap for this version of the build and should have it soon enough. Once that is done its on to paint for both. In the meantime I can play catch up on my other 15 or 16 builds. 

Dennis

Another great build coming up Denns! Cockpit looks great.  Can't wait to see the paint slung around!  If you're still taking votes, I think Euro I looks nice on F-4's.  I have a Euro I F-4 planned myself.  Someday....

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

Another great build coming up Denns! Cockpit looks great.  Can't wait to see the paint slung around!  If you're still taking votes, I think Euro I looks nice on F-4's.  I have a Euro I F-4 planned myself.  Someday....

I appreciate the vote, Ive settled on the Hill one scheme for this build. Don't worry though, I have an F-4C that will be in Euro-1. I just need the tail flashes and could start that one right away. Sadly the California ANG flashes are almost impossible to find now so will need to get them made up. It will be a dedication build to Capt. Dean Martin Jr.

https://www.thisdayinaviation.com/tag/64-0923/

Dennis

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have an F-4C that will be in Euro-1. I just need the tail flashes and could start that one right away. Sadly the California ANG flashes are almost impossible to find now so will need to get them made up. It will be a dedication build to Capt. Dean Martin Jr.

Dennis, that’s a nice scheme. It’s a shame there are so few ANG schemes in print. 

Chris

• Thanks 1

Just now, Chrisj2003 said:

Dennis, that’s a nice scheme. It’s a shame there are so few ANG schemes in print. 

Chris

Yes it is, Im also planning on getting Illinois flashes made as I am trying to do ANG projects for my 3 favorite states. I live in Illinois, was raised in Wisconsin, and hope to live in Montana someday. Beyond that Ive done an F-4C in Arkansas ANG markings in one of the prototypical cloud scheme’s from Red Flag 83/5. I have plans on doing more of the cloud schemes including one from VMF-232. There is also an Florida Air Reserve in the 3-tone grey lizard scheme from 83-84. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Looks good Dennis. What is a belly strap for?

I believe at some point in the early to mid 70’s the original spars were found to be undersized and prone to early failure. So at some point the new planes got bigger spars internally. For those planes that were older instead of replacing the wings and spars. They got a strap to increase strength and life.  So F-4C’s and D’s. Early F-4E’s, all the F-4G’s, F-4S’s and some of the J’s. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe at some point in the early to mid 70’s the original spars were found to be undersized and prone to early failure. So at some point the new planes got bigger spars internally. For those planes that were older instead of replacing the wings and spars. They got a strap to increase strength and life.  So F-4C’s and D’s. Early F-4E’s, all the F-4G’s, F-4S’s and some of the J’s. 

Cool. Thanks. That’s a lovely detail to add.

• Thanks 1

Morning everyone … well I think I pulled the longest painting session Ive ever done today. In total 9 hours over three sessions. The positive other than a couple of touchups is that both Phantoms are now painted.igqL547.jpg

a6jXG4H.jpg

GVSBklJ.jpg

b0tYpYk.jpg

7pSYUtr.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5