Mistercraft/ZTS Plastyk RWD-5

AdrianMF

Here’s a quickie entry for this GB:

05-AA4-D23-81-B2-440-A-8405-897284-A8-EE

B1003-DC7-8-AF8-45-EF-8710-2-E48-CE9-F31

A mistercraft reboxing of the ZTS Plastyk RWD-5, an inter-war aircraft, notable for its non-stop flight from Poland to Buenos Aires in 1933. That was a single seater with a rather large petrol tank replacing the passenger. I will be doing the modern replica two-seat version with the registration “SP-LOT”.

The kit has a few issues that I want to fix: rather over-textured fabric surfaces; it doesn’t have a gap at the back of the cowling for the cooling airflow to escape; and I need a tad more cockpit detail than the kit provides. I’m going to ignore the other issues, like wheels integrally moulded with the spats, because I want it done, dusted and on the shelf as quickly as possible!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

I love I aircraft and I love the scheme. 

Thanks Cliff. Me too. This will be a "broad brush" model. There's far too much information on the internet about the modern replica!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 1

Parts prep:

30-DB48-FE-6724-40-E4-872-C-5-FECC5-F1-F

Weird fabric effect sanded off the fuselage and flying surfaces, cockpit and spats (with integral wheels) assembled. I also got rid of the cowling sides ready for some paper ones - must remember to put the starboard air intake back!

• Like 2

Canopy on with superglue and gaps filled with PVA, exhausts drilled, ignoring strange placement because this is a quickie:

34718672-7389-4520-B582-7553-FD76-FA18.j

The three part canopy fitted together perfectly and the wing fits on top of the canopy perfectly too. Very impressed!

• Like 5

I took a couple of breaks from work today and got two coats of Royal Blue on:

E449-C2-EE-AF0-E-47-B6-9-BB6-61-CD809911

The paint is very intense; even though I’ve given my brush more than the usual cleaning treatment, the bristles are still stained with blue. I need to choose my next large area colour carefully just in case it leaks!

• Like 7

On 8/31/2021 at 7:36 AM, AdrianMF said:

The three part canopy fitted together perfectly and the wing fits on top of the canopy perfectly too. Very impressed!

Wish I hadn't seen this now, it was that bit that did it, one just appeared on the local auction site is now mine. :( :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

😂

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Wish I hadn't seen this now

Try not to look at Moa's build either, or he'll have you drilling out the tie downs at the wingtips and putting wire handles at the back of the fuselage. I sanded mine off.

And once the wing is on, only spiders will be able to see my extra cockpit detailing .

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CliffB said:

This is going to be lovely! 

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

This looks really good!

All down to the kit. I picked it up a month or so ago for the "Less than a tenner" but didn't manage to get it in. It's a delightful little kit and a good counterpoint to my over-ambitious conversion elsewhere...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

Transfers on:

D3-AF97-A3-810-B-4494-8233-99-EEAAC5-B9-

Although it all looks calm, I had quite major paint lift when I unmasked the blue after the silver. I’m still not used to the (relative) delicacy of Vallejo after Humbrol and Revell. The decals are very delicate - I was lucky because I spotted the backing varnish goes narrow over the fuselage side hyphens so I cut the fuselage ones in two and they went on pretty well, but the wing ones broke into several pieces so I had to slide them off and arrange them on a bed of Pledge/Future and touch up a bit afterwards.

Anyhow, I need to fix the wing, add prop and pitot (no Venturi) and varnish before declaring done.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

This is a a lovely decor scheme

I just wanted an interesting scheme and I liked the half-and-half fuselage markings. There’s plenty of detail you could fix if you wanted, but I’ve gone all impressionistic for this one!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toryu said:

Great colours

The Revell acrylic silver is my "go to" silver if I'm not spraying from a rattle can of Halford's finest. The Vallejo Royal Blue is a really intense colour and nice to use, albeit more fragile than Humbrol and Revell acrylic finishes. It also stains remarkably well - my brush and palette still have a marked blue tinge, even after thorough cleaning!

Regards,

Adrian