New 1/48 Rafale seamless intakes

Hello all!

Being quite frustrated with the absence of any intake trunking in Revell's 1/48 Rafale kit and the price/level of detail of available options I decided to make my own using 3D printing.

The objective is to capture the internal auxiliary intake and to make it easy to build as I have quite a few Rafales in the stash ;)

The real thing looks like this:

spacer.png

3D printed parts dry fitted into Revell's intakes:

50243720142_7278cd657e_z.jpg

Blended with Tamiya Putty:

50243720002_4864817d17_z.jpg

I basically have two questions for the community:

1/ Would there be interest for this upgrade (i.e., should I setup for my own limited consumption or I should go a bit bigger)?

2/ Would you prefer to have the 3D printed parts and assemble them yourself or have the entire intake cast together as a drop-in part? I would estimate the 3D-printed part price around €15, the drop-in intake around €25

Thanks a ton for your inputs, it's the first time I take such a bold step in modelling!

Best,

Arnaud

• Like 3

Hello Arnaud

I can't see your 3D printed part pictures, only the first picture of the Rafale inlet is visible.

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel for letting me know, I'll fix this asap. It seems Google Photos won't let me hotlink pictures...

Arnaud

yeah, photos are visible now!

the first one looks good to me, the second one I am not sure what I am seeing... looks like a blend of Tamiya putty and kit kit part and your intake interior... maybe some better photos would help!

thanks!

Thanks for the update and feedback. Yes indeed the second picture is not so clear, I'm working on this ;)

Arnaud

• Like 1

Did a small test as I did not quite like the way the RAM cam out in the 3D printer (Left). I cut it in vynil with my Silhouette plotter (Right), much sharper :)

50243628603_26520168e8_z.jpg

Full size intakes are now printing, stay posted!

Arnaud

• Like 2

I like them a lot!

the vinyl one has harder edges!

Can't wait to use them ;)

Good news: design is now finalized, printed and assembled. Plan for the week end: 

1. Complete the master
  2. Make the molds
  3. Cast a first test :)

I'll post pictures of the process as I go, stay posted!

Arnaud

• Like 2

Getting there on the prototype, what do you think?

50254204451_3dd4ac07eb_z.jpg

50254204286_6fc0069c8c_z.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

• Like 1

Hello,

It looks very good,

Like Whitewolf "The full intake as a drop in part would more preferable."

I would like to have one set.

Have a good day

Geronimo

• Like 1

I like it a lot!!

Great photos now as well!

Love the auxiliar intake ducts :)

Hope your casts turn out good!

How are you dealing with resin shrinkage?

Thanks for your kind words guys, very much appreciated I'm glad you like it. @Exdraken: I use low shrinkage resin but I'll test the fit of the cast part don't worry :) 

On a side note it seems my Samsung phone is much better at taking close-up pictures than the iPhone!

Arnaud

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First mold done and looking good, however as exdraken mentionned resin shrinkage is an issue considering the 3D fit required, I'm working on options now :)

Arnaud

• Sad 1

Success!! 🥳 Adding some filler did the trick and fit is now perfect - I'll post pictures later today. I also ordered more RTV silicone so I can do the final mold for both sides :)

Arnaud

• Like 1

There we are, this is only a dry fit check. I did not prime the part so engraving is not visible, I actually

• corrected the shape at the seam between the two original intake parts, which was very square while the real transition is very smooth
  • re-engraved a couple of existing panels at the seam between the two original parts
  • Engraved and riveted a panel on the left intake above the SPECTRA sensor which is missing from the kit part

I can't wait for the new stock of RTV to arrive now to finally finish this project :)

50297838923_bdb466ed44_z.jpg

50298517296_4707fdea4e_z.jpg

Cheers,

Arnaud

• Like 3

Thanks guys, your support is very appreciated. RTV should arrive today so I am aiming for a first definitive cast this week end and an "official" release by mid September.

Arnaud

• Like 1