RNZAF Vampire

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

:hmmm:IMHO, that's too silver and shiny but I could be talking out of my butt.

I used Tamiya's AS-12 here. Your model...

Stuart

Hi Stuart - you're not wrong - about the shiny silver thing - not the butt thing :) It is far too shiny right now - my plan is to tone it down as I progress - my thoughts being that it's easy to reduce the shininess - but impossible to take it from too dull to shiny. As I already said, there's clear coats and weathering to come which should tone it down - but I want it to have a decent amount of reflective tone which is why I'm doing it this way.  I understand that yours and others opinions will be different but that's fine - I'm still happy to get the feedback, good or bad :) 

The last few photos in that last update were taken under a big light which probably made it look far more shiny than it actually is - under normal light conditions: 

kDz7kOr.jpg

Cheers

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Maybe a spray of satin varnish will dull it down to a more authentic sheen.

Hi Paul - this will be something I can consider when I get to the end of the painting and weathering stage - if it's still far too shiny there will be a few options on the table - including using satin or even matt varnishes. But I'll be waiting till I get to the end of the road before I make that call. I'm pretty happy with how it looks at this point so I'm staying the course for now:) 

This has been moving along despite life and work getting in the way :) I got the stickers on over the weekend... 

Al3qe0k.jpg

snOPGTw.jpg

uDoKcLu.jpg

T6yV27V.jpg

I used a mix of the kit decals - which were lovely and went on very nicely - and the after market decal sheet for RNZAF vampires that I bought from Old Model Decals here in NZ - These went on okay but needed a lot attention and many layers of Microsol to get them to adhere and sink into the recesses - I had to use the old trick of running a blade along the panel lines to get them to sink properly - even this didn't fix them entirely but they still went on okay - Compared to some decals (looking at you Tamiya) they were fine :) 

be1OLOB.jpg

I got the bits ready for paint - undercarriage and wheels - I'm not going to use the drop tanks. 

Next up will be some weathering - with completion not far off that. 

Cheers

John

• Like 8

Weird. Earlier in the year I built an Avon Sabre and was investigating RAAF roundels and found they were same colours used on RAF roundels and I assumed that the RNZAF roundels would've been the same. Images of RNZAF roundels show what I thought but your image above shows a brighter blue but hey, it's your model...

Stuart

• Like 1

Rocking on with this... 

As I’ve discussed, this experiment with alclad involved starting with a very shiny and reflective surface and winding it back with weathering... I’d done a fair bit of post shading already, which added lots of variation in the finish but didn’t really knock back the levels of sheen... so it was time to bring out the big weathering guns - let’s start with an oil sludge wash...

FVTK9OM.jpg

This is a mix of black and white oil paint - to make up a dark grey - thinned with enamel thinners - I covered the entire upper half - let it dry and wiped it of with a dry paper towel.

EBlRmmq.jpg

xiBvqAf.jpg

The same process was done underneath...

bdaucjG.jpg

So that did a good job of filling in the panel lines and did tone back the shiny finish - probably not as much as I wanted so went at it again... 

l9rXJzj.jpg

This time I mixed up a dirtier darker colour and did more of panel line wash - highlighting the lines and rivets more...

9Q8xrdy.jpg

8WjqUps.jpg

tJBEPZy.jpg

That was an improvement so I left it there... was this enough to bring the finish down to something close to high speed silver...?

No. Not even close. It’s still far too shiny and looks much closer to nmf than hss - but what the hey - it was a fun experiment and I learned abit more about using and weathering with these paints. 

Next up - undercarriage went on... 

AV6mKjQ.jpg

With the wheels in place I reached a moment of truth - time to see if my efforts weighing down the nose would come to fruition... after a little drying time, I popped her on her legs...

M08ci0b.jpg

Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

God damn everything to hell. 

Looking at the placement of the rear wheels, they’re actually placed more forward of the wheel wells which is why my earlier testing didn’t give me the same result.

6DwJ8O7.jpg

After a lot of language not suitable to publish in a family friendly publication such as this, I wondered how far I was off the mark. I grabbed a spare bit lead weight left over from the build and blue tacked it to the nose. It was enough to tip the balance. 

4j5tflX.jpg

so small - small enough to fit into the front wheel well perhaps...

FXEE0Vz.jpg

Like so... and like mick jagger used to say: paint it black...

negHo91.jpg

Gave it another test.. 

qQKx9Fp.jpg

Get in there ya good thing! 

With that we’re just about there. A few more bits to stick on and some touch ups and we’ll be home. Here she is now: 

oNKiMgC.jpg

jXOA0vP.jpg

These were taken under normal light conditions so not too shiny - it does light up as soon as you shine anything on it. But overall I’m pretty happy with how it turned out - it was a fun build and I learned a few new tricks.

As always thanks for following along - and for the suggestions and supportive comments. They’re always appreciated 😎.

I’ll have this up on RFI pretty soon... 

Cheers

John

• Like 11
  • Confused 1