Those other Wessex.

huvut76g7gbbui7

47 minutes ago, Scimitar said:

Here's a couple of SAR ones without 'CU' on the tail.

11030993964_a10e0a948a_b.jpg

0000069313.jpg

Did Portland ever have a green Wessex with rescue titles or am I getting confused with a Sea King 4 ?

772 never had ‘green’ Wessex with Rescue on, you’re right. The only time 772 had rescue on was after they got their Sea King mk4’s.

• Thanks 1

When 772 were providing aircraft for the SAR flight at Lee, after the Falklands, on arrival at Lee the cabin door was replaced with one which had 'Royal Navy Rescue' titles.

This was then removed and the original door refitted when the aircraft rotated back to Portland.Otherwise the markings were standard.

• Like 2

On 12/9/2018 at 12:19 AM, Sky dancer said:

Scimitar,

Yes, it definitely was!

I suspect it could be XP180; just found the same pic on Flickr - link:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/rosedale7175/31164641274.

The comments are interesting, the mention of HMS Antrim definitely rings a bell.

You spend 25 years looking for pics of green mk 3s then this year they all appear!

XM923 was painted in that scheme too, but a more matt version - pic in the Haynes Wessex book. From HMS London

Edited by Dave Fleming
typo
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 1:16 PM, Scimitar said:

Going right back to the start. Here's Sikorsky HSS-1 ,141602 as she was delivered to the UK in  March 1956. She is marked here in class B registration,G-17-1 and became XL722. She was scrapped in 1968 after use as an instructional airframe.

The engine/airframe configuration underwent many changes. Here are a few.

It flew for a very short time in military markings with the unmodified nose, have a pic somewhere, will dig it out.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2018 at 9:00 AM, Wafu said:

Great picture of a Wessex 3 with a key indicator that this was before the Falklands war, the Lynx on the left of the picture is high viz. Now to screw down the exact date is a little harder. The picture is at RNAS Portland, depicted by the station paint shop (building with the double door frontage) and what used to be 829’s Squadron hangar to the right. 

702 NAS and 815 NAS came down to Portland from Yeovilton in 1981, the idea was to take over the massive hangar that 737 NAS (Wessex 3’s) had, I do remember that by December 81 we had a very busy and very small airfield with 4 possibly 5 Naval Air Squadrons operating from it ( 772 Wessex 5’s HQ and Flights, 737 Wessex 3’s HQ and flights, 829 Wasp HQ and flights, 702 Lynx HQ and possibly 815 Lynx flights)

Great pics and thanks for sharing Scimitar.

The Flikr pic has an exact date,  2 Feb 1983. There were a few aircraft ( e.g. second line, test and trials) that remained in preFalklands colours for a bit after 1982, so the presence of the Lynx is not out of place for that date

4 hours ago, Daedalus72 said:

When 772 were providing aircraft for the SAR flight at Lee, after the Falklands, on arrival at Lee the cabin door was replaced with one which had 'Royal Navy Rescue' titles.

This was then removed and the original door refitted when the aircraft rotated back to Portland.Otherwise the markings were standard.

And we know how easy they were to change over?😂

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 12:26 PM, Scimitar said:

Is the piece of kit shown with the HAS3 a starter unit similar to a Palouste?

Recently also seen on a Sea Vixen build thread here on BM.

Apparently it's a Palouste without the Dan Dare casing.

I was daft enough to question the safety aspects of it. :nono:

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

Whilst we are on the subject of RN Wessex, how do my decals look for scale on the following pictures??

I really struggle with the Fly Wessex decals for scale, so I've used a mixture of the Fly offering, the Italeri Wessex 3 and Wessex 5 decals and finally a few Xtradecals white lines. I've cast my mind back to my first flight on HMS Hermes as a junior aircraft engineer, the Wessex in those days have high viz markings with white stencil markings. 

I hope Scimitar doesn't mind the highjacking of his thread but I thought you'd all be happy to give feedback on a subject he's talking about. If not please let me know and I'll move it asap.

IMG_5757

IMG_2128

IMG_1153

IMG_8585

• Like 8

That looks good, I think I would make the step kick panels a bit larger though

If you look at the picture of XS464? above in jungly sand and spinach and the rescue one above it you can see the kick panel is a bit larger all round

The rest looks fab

• Like 2

What a great thread :)

Lovely pictures of the 'Green Parrot' VIP cabs. I wish there were decals for these. Although I guess it shouldn't be too difficult to make some up. Is that a gold cheat line between the white and green?

Also, I am intrigued by the apparently Yeovilton based SAR HAS.1. Does anyone know which squadron was based at Yeovilton on SAR with the HAS.1 and when?

Carry on!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wafu said:

Whilst we are on the subject of RN Wessex, how do my decals look for scale on the following pictures??

Hi WAFU. I think your Happy H 'H' is a tad on the small side (sorry)

Otherwise a cracking 'Junglie'. Should look great when it's finished. 

6 hours ago, Wafu said:

I hope Scimitar doesn't mind

Not in the slightest,after all the whole purpose of the thread was as a one stop place for Wessex variants and colour schemes.

I had forgotten about Hermes in her commando role so to make up for that here's another nice photo

5997053083_d78990f513_b.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Is that a gold cheat line between the white and green?

Also, I am intrigued by the apparently Yeovilton based SAR HAS.1. Does anyone know which squadron was based at Yeovilton on SAR with the HAS.1 and when?

Yes. 

Here's another lovely view of XT770.

It seems that even the 'barges' weren't immune from dents in the nose filter!

Westland_Wessex_HU5_(WS-58),_UK_-_Navy_A

The Yeovilton SAR Wessex is shown as 'Heron Flight' with no mention of a parent Squadron. I will look into this unless somebody has the knowledge. Using that as an excuse.......

26173502469_4fe6322fbd_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smudge said:

Hi WAFU. I think your Happy H 'H' is a tad on the small side (sorry)

Hi Smudge. I agree, also the black wear around the cockpit step does need ‘expanding’ might not happen on this build though.

I also think the Royal Navy and the D is a tad small, i’m Missing a squadron crest with green and white cheques on the transmission doors would be ideal. 

May be I’ll look to decals related to RN Wessex squadrons and data stencils?

Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2