Westland Whirlwind Fighter - Finished

bigbadbadge

• 11 months later...

Hi all

I haven't picked this thread up for nearly a year but after Roger's @Dunny thread and his encouragement to get back onto it, I managed to get a day off from building work yesterday and so worked on this along with three other builds (72nd Boston Mk V, 48th Spitfire Vb, 48th Grumman Widgeon and a 72 Maquette Dar Herald. I thought I would pick this up again as the Mancave is coming on well so will have room to display it soon)  The progress on this was to get the U/C doors painted and added (still got camouflage colours to do on them, get the prop spinners drilled out for pins for the blades and the blades were thinned out and once assembled the yellow Tip colour added.  Wheels are aftermarket ones as the CA centres are too large. I have quite a few builds stalled and so will try and do a few more but am lucky enough to still be working (from home) and working on the house so time is still quite limited

Hope you like

spacer.png

8f5f927b-15fc-44e9-beaa-4e17c45e0545.jpg

8063c9d6-d824-4810-b27f-c6cbd43fbaef.jpg

c603bd4b-5d8b-4ee7-82eb-302585a6a4b5.jpg

Thanks For looking in

Stay safe

Chris

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Quiet Mike said:

What a lovely build Chris! Look forward to seeing it done.

Thanks Mike, hope you and yours are safe and well.  

It is quite a nice kit but as with all limited run kits requires lots of test fitting.

Not too much progresd, I have just painted the prop blades along with doing all the Glazing on the Boston. 

Thanks and all the best

Chris

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Mike, hope you and yours are safe and well.  

It is quite a nice kit but as with all limited run kits requires lots of test fitting.

Not too much progresd, I have just painted the prop blades along with doing all the Glazing on the Boston. 

Thanks and all the best

Chris

I've finally got down to making some progress on the Blenheim this weekend! Not much, but cleared the decks at work now I'm furloughed ...

• Like 1

Sought this after seeing your sig on my PC version of BM.

I picked one of these up during A frenzied Lockdown EBay wobble. 🤣

you mentioned the drilled sprue method for the gun ports. I just looked at the kit and can see what you have added. How did you do it? Drill out the kit part ? 

Thanks for any info.

paint is looking great by the way.

Johnny.

1 minute ago, The Spadgent said:

Sought this after seeing your sig on my PC version of BM.

I picked one of these up during A frenzied Lockdown EBay wobble. 🤣

you mentioned the drilled sprue method for the gun ports. I just looked at the kit and can see what you have added. How did you do it? Drill out the kit part ? 

Thanks for any info.

paint is looking great by the way.

Johnny.

Hi Johnny

Ooooooooo a great purchase, it builds nicely although you will be rewarded by lots of test fitting.

With regard the gun ports take a bit of suitably sized sprue and drill out to make a tube and then I believe I sanded it at the appropriate angle to make the port . Although it has been a long time since I did this .  I got the idea from Moa when he did his excellent Lockheed Electra build. So it may be worth seeking that build too.

Thanks for your kind comments.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Johnny

Ooooooooo a great purchase, it builds nicely although you will be rewarded by lots of test fitting.

With regard the gun ports take a bit of suitably sized sprue and drill out to make a tube and then I believe I sanded it at the appropriate angle to make the port . Although it has been a long time since I did this .  I got the idea from Moa when he did his excellent Lockheed Electra build. So it may be worth seeking that build too.

Thanks for your kind comments.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

I’ll give that a go. I need to do something similar on the venom. 🤗

Johnny.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spec7 said:

Great to see these not quite so mainstream kits being worked on here at BM, they do require the extra work but your whirlwind proves they are worth it :)

Thank you for your kind comments, it's a lovely kit,but I am unhappy with the main U/C legs so am looking to rework those, the extra effort is definitely worth it.

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Chris, I’d forgotten that you hadn’t finished this. Get a move on ( he said with a 1/32 Spitfire V and several others unfinished.)

John  :rofl:

😂

Hi John 

I hope you are well, that has made me giggle. I too still have my 32nd Spitfire  stalled, although seeing others build shelf of Doom kits has inspired me and I have picked up this and another one (HP Dart Herald) and then I will restart the Spitfire and my 32nd Tiggie too.  

Hope you are staying safe and well over there.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A quite stunning finish on that camo paintwork Chris. Gobsmackingly good sir. 👏

Thanks Tony, it's just good old Humbrol enamels and the hairy stick, as I can't airbrush. Once the mancave is done I might be able to give that a go though. Although it fills me with dread spraying something that size!!! Yet I have happily sprayed a couple of cars, mad huh!!!

Thank you for your kind comments fella.

Stay safe and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

Despite a slight distraction with this

01d6e2fc-b881-43f3-bbf8-64bbecd450ce.jpg

and this.  Along with a rather gorgeous 48th scale Grumman Gosling (which is very nearly finished)

dc8d1dc7-0949-46a3-95a4-b3fed3b80160.jpg

I have done a little bit more on the Crikey.  Props now painted .

406524b7-f1f1-4505-9e02-a49dd3d36606.jpg

Rear Canopy started, the PE is from the kit but the rear most frame bar is from Plasticard

0dce0a7a-387c-4d20-ac4e-09be0ad5f60b.jpg

I was not happy with the shape of the rear view mirror shape so am adding a skin to either side and the top to thin out and make the lip around the recess for the actual mirror.  The Roll cage support brace is in place also. 

4fb7e9e0-d7fd-41e4-b3d5-5f4e2568871e.jpg

Canopy with final internal support bars added and painted in interior green

b0245dda-aa26-4802-9b42-20297f0d5218.jpg

430d9d23-e31e-45fe-82f0-5820f773ada6.jpg

Thanks for looking in

Stay safe and all the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

Lovely, where you gonna put that seat though? Looks like there’s already one in it.

John

Thanks John 😁  I will struggle with that one.  Just out of shot is the recipient, the 48scale Seahawk receiving a lot of attention with all intake vanes replaced and lots of other bits being done too. That will be in a future RFI if all goes well.

4 minutes ago, Martian said:

Great effort Chris.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian

• Like 1