Leichte Zugkraftwagen 3t -Sd.Kfz.11-2nd Panzer '44

Redcoat2966

Evening all

Managed a couple of hours today before dinner. I got a black Ultimate Primer on and then the highlight stage. I'm trying a different approach. First a general highlight then some detail highlighting prior to the Dunkel Gelb colour scheme. here's where I stand.....if I can, I might try the Dunkel Gelb tomorrow after I get back and before I have to cook dinner......:rant:

UGk8tiN.jpg

nKf9jaS.jpg

Here's one to show it coming together...

OAcb1Ui.jpg

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 6

That is a very nice upgrade, Simon. I didnt even try the PE shields, the bag was a nightmare though, vompletely missaligned parts for the basket. I had this set in my sdkfz 251/17 crazy detailed gun, with around 100 + parts., Still looks amazing. Maybe just because of that.

• Thanks 1

Hi Soeren 

Thanks mate and ,some of the parts I didn’t use though. The kit parts were in fact better.....those little four prong turning knobs....I agree on the shields, some really, really small parts like the wire loops....smaller than a pin head😩....and attaching the perpendicular pieces. It was for its size a tough build 

What did help on this one......I started using extra strong Gorilla Instant gel. Really good stuff for the PE......very easy to clean for five minutes after attaching a piece.

Simon

9 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

What did help on this one......I started using extra strong Gorilla Instant gel. Really good stuff for the PE......very easy to clean for five minutes after attaching a piece.

Simon

Hi Simon,

For some reason I've only just found this WIP. Glad I did. Fanastic work. Loving the colour scheme. The chipping is spot on!

A couple of questions for you. Do you know if those tracks fit the Tamiya 8 tonne 'Semi-track' Sdkfz 7?

Also ,the Gorilla Gel,... I have some but haven't used it yet. I believe it's water activated? Isn't it a pain to use because of that and does it not swell up a bit?

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Simon,

For some reason I've only just found this WIP. Glad I did. Fanastic work. Loving the colour scheme. The chipping is spot on!

A couple of questions for you. Do you know if those tracks fit the Tamiya 8 tonne 'Semi-track' Sdkfz 7?

Also ,the Gorilla Gel,... I have some but haven't used it yet. I believe it's water activated? Isn't it a pain to use because of that and does it not swell up a bit?

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder, how are you mate....thanks for the thumbs up..:yes:........answer's to your questions

1. Will these fit a Tamiya 8 tonne?.......the one's above were specific and made by AFV Club. These were the all steel pattern that was used for a short time until they found out it shook the suspension to bit's........and switched back to the rubber blocked one's. I just picked up a set of Model Kasten for a project I'm planning of a 37mm Flak issued Sdkfz 7 with armoured cab.....it come's with new drive sprockets as the Tamiya kit aren't accurate for a good fit I understand. The 8 tonne I have, has the same parts as regards the range of 8 tonnes that Tamiya does......so I wouldn't want to say the AFV would fit with drive sprocket difference's etc.......to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the AFV Club tracks....very hard plastic which broke when you tried to click them together as they were sold as workable............I had to glue them in the end:wall:..........so won't get them again.
  2. The Gorilla glue I think your thinking of is water based and does have these issues....but that isn't in there instant range....the one I mention is a superglue gel...strong version. I'm pretty impressed with this stuff....I can actually bend a panel to be 90 degree if slightly off after it has set, and it doesn't break....really strong contact.....it can also be scrapped off up to 5 mins after parts are glued....I give it one minute and then with a number 15a scalpel blade and clean up the parts.

here it is.....

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/gorilla-superglue-gel-3g-2pk/p/0463958?nst=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqeXqgdWD3QIVRbDtCh0YvAlkEAQYBCABEgJXr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

40 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Badder, how are you mate....thanks for the thumbs up..:yes:........answer's to your questions

1. Will these fit a Tamiya 8 tonne?.......the one's above were specific and made by AFV Club. These were the all steel pattern that was used for a short time until they found out it shook the suspension to bit's........and switched back to the rubber blocked one's. I just picked up a set of Model Kasten for a project I'm planning of a 37mm Flak issued Sdkfz 7 with armoured cab.....it come's with new drive sprockets as the Tamiya kit aren't accurate for a good fit I understand. The 8 tonne I have, has the same parts as regards the range of 8 tonnes that Tamiya does......so I wouldn't want to say the AFV would fit with drive sprocket difference's etc.......to be honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the AFV Club tracks....very hard plastic which broke when you tried to click them together as they were sold as workable............I had to glue them in the end:wall:..........so won't get them again.
  2. The Gorilla glue I think your thinking of is water based and does have these issues....but that isn't in there instant range....the one I mention is a superglue gel...strong version. I'm pretty impressed with this stuff....I can actually bend a panel to be 90 degree if slightly off after it has set, and it doesn't break....really strong contact.....it can also be scrapped off up to 5 mins after parts are glued....I give it one minute and then with a number 15a scalpel blade and clean up the parts.

here it is.....

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/gorilla-superglue-gel-3g-2pk/p/0463958?nst=0&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqeXqgdWD3QIVRbDtCh0YvAlkEAQYBCABEgJXr_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thanks for the detailed reply Simon. Most appreciated.

I figured the tracks would be specific to your model, but it was worth asking as so far I've failed to find aftermarket tracks for the Tamiya SdKfz7.

Yeah, the glue I have IS the superglue gel. I am currently making a ruined building for a diorama and have been using 'normal' CA, but it is actually the perfect opportunity to use the Gorilla superglue gel and see what it can do.  Silly me!

Rearguards,

Badder

PS, I forgot to mention how superb that flat bed decking is. Sure looks like wood to me!

Edited by Badder

7 minutes ago, Badder said:

PS, I forgot to mention how superb that flat bed decking is. Sure looks like wood to me!

Edited 2 minutes ago by Badder

Er... that'll be because it IS wood!😁

😂......yeah, sorry mate, I was in the middle of typing a second reply to that one...... and yes, American Basswood,.....really nice grain to scale for planking etc....

I'm actually thinking of trying to make my own crates etc.......see if I can......:think:

Simon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Badder, try and get yourself a set of the ModelKasten one's.......

https://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/mdkk020.htm

Simon.

Cheers muchl for that!

I've not heard of that manufacturer before, Expensive, but they may be worth it. I also have the version with the flakvierling on the back so I will search this product and see how it is rated by others.

Rearguards,

Badder

The only alternative in my opinion is Friul....I've tried Hobby Boss (awful), Masterclub (overly ambitious design), Magic Tracks (OK, if they come with the kit)....., etc etc....and to date the Friul has it for me.........once I've tried the Model Kasten's I hope they don't get added to list of thumbs down track set's.......:think:

That's it....done for the day....tools down......I'm off.....(hold on, careful not to sound like a union shop steward....:laugh:).......here's where I'm leaving off for a couple of day's, hopefully back on the bench the weekend......

The Dunkelgelb is done and the 20mm in placeThe central armour shield is dry fitted, just couldn't get the effort together to fix it in place......:S

AliV0RJ.jpg

TG1zMlM.jpg

Nite all.......

• Like 8

Hi Steve 

Thanks.....

......and yes starting with wood is a bonus. This American Basswood is a little better to work with than balsa. It cuts really nice and, in my opinion anyway has the grain at 1:35. It also doesn’t develop that “fuzz” which you can get with working and handling of balsa that has be sanded off at times.

I’m going to give some crate making a go to change it up from the flak over the weekend if I get some time....see how they turn out.

Simon

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

A very special vehicle, very detailed, without a doubt something very interesting. I love the wooden part of the truck, if I did not misunderstand, you used authentic wooden sticks.
It's one of the best woods I've seen, and I'd like to do something similar.
The rest of the vehicle is magnificently ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

A very special vehicle, very detailed, without a doubt something very interesting. I love the wooden part of the truck, if I did not misunderstand, you used authentic wooden sticks.
It's one of the best woods I've seen, and I'd like to do something similar.
The rest of the vehicle is magnificently ...:popcorn:

Cheers Simon 👍

Hi FRANCIS, thanks for that.....:yes:

And yes....American Basswood......simple process really.

Cut a piece with the grain in the direction you need to fit the area. I then if I remember, brushed it over with odourless thinners. While damp I then used a deck wash from AK - Deck wash for grey decks and with a flat brush on this occasion brushed in from the edges with thinned wash based to get the colour needed and intensity. I brushed it on from the edges as I need it to look less dirty internally than on the edges.

Once dry I then cut it into the planking, and mixed them up to get an irregular look.

I would experiment a little first, but as I say an easy method. The wood itself is 50% of the battle. The grain accepts the tinting really well.

I could try and do a photo posting of the above steps one day.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

Hi Kris......unfortunately after an aborted attempt at some camo’ on the front shield I had to do a respray on it......😩and lost a lot of the b&w effect.....trust me it did look good, but I’ll have to do it again on the next project.....sorry mate 😖

As regards the Dunkelgelb.....it’s a Vallejo Dark Yellow slightly lightened and thinned with alcohol. I took  the bottle of dark yellow, divided it into three and made a light, a mid and dark version. I keep them in those icing decorating bottles you get from craft stores for easy loading of the airbrush.

I intend to get some shades back on it via air brush next week. I’ll take some shots after and post.

Simon

On 26/08/2018 at 22:31, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi FRANCIS, thanks for that.....:yes:

And yes....American Basswood......simple process really.

Cut a piece with the grain in the direction you need to fit the area. I then if I remember, brushed it over with odourless thinners. While damp I then used a deck wash from AK - Deck wash for grey decks and with a flat brush on this occasion brushed in from the edges with thinned wash based to get the colour needed and intensity. I brushed it on from the edges as I need it to look less dirty internally than on the edges.

Once dry I then cut it into the planking, and mixed them up to get an irregular look.

I would experiment a little first, but as I say an easy method. The wood itself is 50% of the battle. The grain accepts the tinting really well.

I could try and do a photo posting of the above steps one day.

Simon.

Many thanks for info, If some day you have desire and time, I will be happy to see them. 👍

Cheers Simon

• 1 month later...

EVENING ALL........Well, after a calamity on my Centaur, I had to switch to something more - "uplifting"...:S, so I switched back to the Zug......managed to weather and chip the Flak 38, just needs a wash come panel line and some pigments etc.

Then on the attaching it to the rear deck.

Sorry about the pics, tough one to take a picture of.

G8MHKrO.jpgj2syHmu.jpgyJVp6Qr.jpg

z0QsY0a.jpg

• Like 3

Those pics look great to me and the model is pretty special too. Love the  wood planking and the gun turned out well. Even with the second spray I can still see

some of the subtle shading on the shield and it looks great. Your chipping and beatupedness sure enhances it too. That cab is a rather ugly duckling but

overall it looks realistic, they had some bizarre looking vehicles. Let's throw this on that and mount this here and see how it works, never mind the looks.

How the crate manufacturing factory doing? And now you need some ammo to keep that big stick fed.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

Hi Lloyd, how are you.

Thanks for that.....yeah, she is an ugly duckling the Zugkraftwagen.....the cab was made out of plywood for cheapness and speed of manufacture. Not too good for small arms protection I imagine.....:sad:

Crates....not attempted any yet......but they are on my list. I need to find the Basswood. It's somewhere here, or I'll have to pick up another piece. My time has been limited lately, and trying to get my other project; the Cromwell Centaur done. Had a disaster today...spilt the water I was using to do the decals....and didn't notice some of the paper towel I was using to mop up the mess landed on the decal sheet..and they ended up stuck to the towel..so I no longer have the turret decals, which is a major part of this AFV look........:swear:.....so I did the Flak38 to cheer myself up......:angel:

I just finalised the Flak, so might replace the pics above with some new one's....maybe later this week.

Thanks again mate....:yes:

Simon.