Spitfire MK1A – Airfix 1/72 +++COMPLETED+++

BIG X

With a week off work and a sudden stash of 1/72 Airfix kits falling out of the cupboard – I’ve decided it’s time for a mojo build.  I’ve not been able to sit at the desk and concentrate on anything since the end of August – I don’t know why – but we won’t dwell on it.

Now I still don’t feel up to anything too ‘special’ or ‘pricey’ and I think I have had enough of 109’s ‘for now’.  BUT – I have come to realise that when I don’t build – I BUY – so I better get building…

THE SPITFIRE!!!

I haven’t built a 1/72 kit since I was a kid.  Back in the day this was all we could afford and I had forgotten just how small they are.

In the case of this Airfix kit though – small – but perfectly formed – what a beauty for a fiver…

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

There are only 36 parts in the kit, so it shouldn’t be too challenging in that respect.  The parts are exquisite and TINY – so the real challenge will be handling them with my sausage fingers and failing eyesight.

OK – let’s see what I can break first…

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Nice. Got this one in the stash so I'll tag along and see how it goes!

Ian

Don't get your hopes up Ian - unless you love lots of glue where it doesn't necessarily belong :lol:

• Like 2

OK – a couple of quick jobs before bed…

Firstly – time to fill the nose cone…

image.jpg

A wheels up Spit needs a super sleek nose – well it will be sleek when the filler has dried overnight…

image.jpg

…sanding time in the morning.

Also – I have taken the executive decision to add the radiator thingies now – as there is very little visibility into these areas – and what there is I will tackle with a hairy stick if necessary…

image.jpg

The air intake at the front is a bit wonky and has a sink mark – so a bit of Mr Surfacer has been blobbed on for now.

AND THE LAST JOB OF THE DAY – NEW FILTER AND SPRAY BOOTH LINER…

image.jpg

I must be feeling better :D

• Like 6

I should have an update on my spit very shortly - I've been a little busy this morning with a problem of my own making...

I thought it would be a 'smart' idea to do 2 mojo builds at the same time - so I could work on one whilst the other was 'setting' or 'drying' or something...

Sadly the other build is driving me up the wall - not the idea at all...

...anyway - time to get cracking again...

OK - Update time...

Progress has been a little better on this build than my other mojo restorer.  After trimming and sanding everything – I have been busy with the primer…

image.jpg

image.jpg

…then some interior green – not sure about Model Air Interior green – but I’m going with what I have…

image.jpg

...just decided I'm going to do this update in bits - my internet keeps dropping out...

• Like 8

As with other recent builds I am going to go ‘wheels up’.  Having looked at the kit decals I am not overly keen on them – so I may see what Hannants have to offer – with a 1/72 Spitfire – I’m sure they will have hundreds of choices.

If I could find 1/72 white stencils I would really like to do a black / white underside – but I haven’t seen any around – so it will probably be a sky belly and definitely a black nose.

The wheels up parts show part of the wheel itself – which needs to be metallic.  Cue my fancy new disc punch…

image.jpg

I needed 4.5mm half discs of masking tape to cover the wheel inner after painting it silver – I love this new little tool – helps an old man out…

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

It’s not all been plain sailing though – it wouldn’t be a BIG X build if it was.  I got these lovely resin exhausts…

image.jpg

…however – in my excitement to get them off the block – I ‘squeezed something’ a little too hard…  The block literally exploded and the stubs flew everywhere.  I rummaged around for a good half hour and found these…

image.jpg

I now have 5 exhaust stubs – instead of 6.  The final one will turn up eventually – I know it will – but for now I’m going with the kit parts – this is supposed to be fun after all :lol:

image.jpg

Does anyone have any opinions on Merlin exhausts colours – I have been using this ‘rusty’ looking colour, which doubles up for use on the seat.  But should they be a more metallic colour perhaps?

I’ll be back…

• Like 5

This is a great little kit. I’ve built three of them and the only one constant is that the canopy is an awkward fit. I would suggest that you sand the back end to very slightly shorten it. That will allow it to fit snugly even to the point that you don’t need glue.

Off the sprue the panel lines could be a tad deep, but once you’ve sprayed an undercoat or two, they become less obtrusive.

For comparison here are the Spitfire wing compared to the rag wing Hurricane. Both have at least one application of Humbrol rattlecan primer.

37905721001_728f1f797b_b.jpg

No one I think has ever criticised the panel lines on the Hurricane and I can’t see much difference.

Trevor

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If I recall the canopy fits much more easily if you angle in the front of the clear part first then press the back of the part down with your thumb, I don't remember having fit issues with any of mine (that might be more a reflection on the state of my memory than the actuality of my builds though).

Your exhaust colour looks all right to me, they would be more shiny and metallic when they were new. 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

This is a great little kit. I’ve built three of them and the only one constant is that the canopy is an awkward fit. I would suggest that you sand the back end to very slightly shorten it. That will allow it to fit snugly even to the point that you don’t need glue.

Trevor

Thanks for the canopy tip Trevor - I will remember that when we get there.

26 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

If I recall the canopy fits much more easily if you angle in the front of the clear part first then press the back of the part down with your thumb, I don't remember having fit issues with any of mine (that might be more a reflection on the state of my memory than the actuality of my builds though).

Your exhaust colour looks all right to me, they would be more shiny and metallic when they were new. 

Cheers,

Stew

Hey Stew - I was looking at your multi-build project of the MK1A's over the weekend - inspiring stuff.  Mine won't be in your league - but you look like you had a lot of fun.  I especially liked the black / white underside scheme you did - but I don't have any of the white stencil decals for the black underwing - pity - it looks really cool.

Late night update…

…well I am on holiday don’t you know ;)

Doing two different builds – this one and the halftrack, isn’t quite the same as doing 2 identical BF109’s.  It is proving to be fun and is definitely getting my interest going again though.

With the interior green finished I have given the cockpit components a gloss coat – in preparation for my first go at using Flory black wash – to ‘highlight’ things…

image.jpg

Please ignore the injector marks - you'll never see them.  I have gone for a quite a heavy wash – as once it’s ‘buttoned up’ you won’t actually see it – but it’s good to experiment…

IMG_2725.jpg

…leave it a few minutes and a quick wipe with a soft tissue gave me this – very dirty…

IMG_2730.jpg

Now here’s an observation – my 1/48 109’s didn’t come with a decal for the IP – yet this tiny little beauty does??? – go figure…

IMG_2723.jpg

…oh well it looks really nice – I guess we had better use it hadn’t we…

IMG_2731.jpg

Looks good to me – gunsight painted black and chrome pen used to mimic the glass – though you can’t really see it here.

That only leaves this little guy – I need to get him painted in the morning – as he is holding the build up now…

image.jpg

I think painting 1/48 pilots is challenging and to be honest I’m never ‘really’ happy with them so it will be interesting to see how this chap turns out.

I do have to paint the halftrack crew too – so it might be a long morning – with plenty of eye straining and if the pictures turn out a little blurred – you’ll know I’ve not done too well :lol:

• Like 8

I also think it's a great little kit (I've made over 20 of them) and what you've done so far looks good.

I'll offer a few tips (if I may):

1) the canopy is a tight fit, follow the advice about sanding it at the back and you should be okay.

2) although you won't see much of them in a wheels-up build, the wheel wells would probably be the same colour as the underside, not interior green, and the bit the gear leg retracts into was probably 'silver'.

3) watch the fit of the wings. There's a locator peg that you might need to remove to allow a good fit.

4) Airfix didn't bother moulding the rudder actuator, it's easily replicated with a bit of stretched sprue. Here's a photograph of what I'm talking about: 

FSC06679a.jpg

5) the exhaust colour is best demonstrated with a photograph:5340815122_1014fbe210.jpg

They're modern ones and haven't had a lot of use. Here are some discussions about the colour(s):

(Post no.9 in the second thread has some good colour photographs of WW2 Spitfire exhausts.)

I hope all this helps.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Beard said:

I also think it's a great little kit (I've made over 20 of them) and what you've done so far looks good.

I'll offer a few tips (if I may):

1) the canopy is a tight fit, follow the advice about sanding it at the back and you should be okay.

2) although you won't see much of them in a wheels-up build, the wheel wells would probably be the same colour as the underside, not interior green, and the bit the gear leg retracts into was probably 'silver'.

3) watch the fit of the wings. There's a locator peg that you might need to remove to allow a good fit.

4) Airfix didn't bother moulding the rudder actuator, it's easily replicated with a bit of stretched sprue. Here's a photograph of what I'm talking about: 

5) the exhaust colour is best demonstrated with a photograph:

I hope all this helps.

Thanks Beard - tips from someone who has built over 20 of these is gold dust.

I'm pretty sure the wheel wells will be 100% invisible - but good info for a wheels down project.

I have tried pressing the wings together and across the kit in general all locator holes have been widened and a few pins shaved off.

The actuator is maybe a step to far for me - I did see Stewdapple went for it and it looks cool - who knows - maybe...

Thanks again - Steve

• Like 2

Another thing I forgot to mention above is that the aerial mast is rather chunky. Airfix made a far better job of it in the 1970’s with their Mk.Vb!

As for painting the exhausts, I used a combination of Citadel’s Mithril Silver, a ‘splodge’ of their Tin Bitz and a dash of black. This is how it came out.

26146240699_b5fdec1a91_b.jpg

Maybe not 100% but a lot better than plain silver.

Trevor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lookin good!

i bought a 1/72 spitfire for practising the foil - errrrrr.....think i had to use the "make small things big" tool to even see some of the parts ;)

you're powerin on through this build! :)

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Another thing I forgot to mention above is that the aerial mast is rather chunky. Airfix made a far better job of it in the 1970’s with their Mk.Vb!

As for painting the exhausts, I used a combination of Citadel’s Mithril Silver, a ‘splodge’ of their Tin Bitz and a dash of black. This is how it came out.

26146240699_b5fdec1a91_b.jpg

Maybe not 100% but a lot better than plain silver.

Trevor

I was quite liking the look of that 'chunky' aerial mast - it's one of a list of things I seem to break immediately upon completion of any model :doh:

It looks quite 'robust' :D

14 minutes ago, Lawzer said:

Lookin good!

i bought a 1/72 spitfire for practising the foil - errrrrr.....think i had to use the "make small things big" tool to even see some of the parts ;)

you're powerin on through this build! :)

...'powerin on through' - I'm not sure...

...but I have nearly finished painting the pilot.

I'm thinking of giving him a gloss varnish coat and washing the folds in his uniform with black Flory - like the 'professionals' do...

Another late night update - the internet is playing up again - so I'll do this in bits - so I don't lose stuff...

Well I did paint my halftrack driver and his mate – over in my other WIP – but that was all I achieved on that project today.

The Spitfire was a different story though – he says somewhat smugly…

…as promised I started with the pilot – who seemed to be wearing some sort of leather jacket…

image.jpg

IMG_2741.jpg

I like to use a bit of siliconized paper to splodge the paints on – they stay wet for ages and when you’ve finished there’s no pot cleaning – just wipe it clean and use it again or simply bin it.  It is great for pouring CA onto too – dip a pin in it to get a small blob and then place it exactly where you need it to be…

IMG_2742.jpg

Despite my worries I don’t think he turned out too bad – which is a shame as you won’t really see him in his office…

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2748.jpg

IMG_2749.jpg

more in a minute - damned internet...

• Like 9

Next I splashed on some black Flory wash – to enhance the folds in his clothes – just like the pros do and then sponged it off…

IMG_2751.jpg

looks like he has sunglasses on...

IMG_2755.jpg

…subtle – but OK I suppose – he is tiny, but I think I need to practice a little more maybe.

• Like 9

With the pilot ready it was finally time to finish the very minimal cockpit.  I fitted the seat to the base and then fitted this into the fuselage.

IMG_2743.jpg

IMG_2754.jpg

I found it a bit tricky, as I think I hadn’t squared everything up properly – but it went in eventually.  Then it was time to slip the pilot in place – but I did need to chop his feet off.  Don’t worry – you can’t see them anyway…

IMG_2759.jpg

If you look closely you can see the nice shiny gunsight.  It doesn’t come as a clear part in 1/72 – so I used my trusty chrome pen to ‘shine it up’…

IMG_2769.jpg

Lovely little pen.

• Like 5

So finally it’s time to ‘button her up’…

IMG_2760.jpg

Not the neatest job I have ever done – but I have plenty of sanders.  I always seem to struggle with noses. 

Anyway - whilst the fuselage was setting I got to work on the wings.  Following Beard’s advice about wing fit issues concerning the front edge I used plenty of clamps.

IMG_2761.jpg

Not enough though – as the leading edge flipped open as soon as the clamps came off – so more glue and BIGGER CLAMPS…

IMG_2762.jpg

…that worked – so time for the other side…

IMG_2763.jpg

• Like 1

Stew Dapple mentioned an extra panel line and a hole that doesn’t appear on any of my larger spitfires – half way down the spine…

IMG_2767.jpg

…hopefully a bit of Mr Surfacer 500 will do the job…

IMG_2768.jpg

Now a lot of people would say the panel lines are a bit deep for 1/72 – but I have to say – I LOVE THEM – and by the time I have landed several coats of paint and varnish on them – you will hardly know they were there…

IMG_2770.jpg

IMG_2771.jpgs

I feel it is starting to look like a Spitfire now...

• Like 2

A quick test fit of the wing assembly proves that the fuselage will need to be ‘squeezed’ slightly as it goes in – but you could almost fit it with just a bit of glue at the front and back of the lower fuselage – it’s that snug.

IMG_2773.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

The undercart is also in and those interior green wheel bays have disappeared…

IMG_2781.jpg

…and we have a tail too!!!

IMG_2780.jpg

There is no actuator – yet…  I’m still pondering that, as I’ve never ‘stretched sprue’ before and I could well set the house on fire.

All in all – not a bad days work though.  There will be plenty of sanding of that dodgy nose section tomorrow and I’ll get the wing section glued on – then I can start splashing some paint.

Onwards and Upwards to Mojo Nirvana.

• Like 10