The EDSG Files # 2: Fairey Barracuda 1/72

:popcorn:

Looking at the sprues for this new Special Hobby kit, it is quite similar to the previous MPM offering in my stash, except it is more detailed and the quality of moulding is better. Not surprising since SH and MPM are the same company. I'm really pleased to see the progress they've made over the years. I had one of the first MPM injection moulded kits, a 1:72 FH-1 Phantom, and I think it had about 10 parts.

Your experience with "vague" placement diagrams in the instructions, though, is pretty much par for the course for SH. Test fit like crazy until you find the Gaussian best fit and you'll be OK.

And I thought folding the wings on my Firefly was crazy. What were the Fairey engineers drinking I wonder?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

And I thought folding the wings on my Firefly was crazy. What were the Fairey engineers drinking I wonder?

I don't know Bill but I want some of it! :drink:

Martian

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

"Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends" tweak!  :P

Sorry Johnny, I will try really hard not to mention Macbeth again. Oops! :devil:

Martian

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Phil Lewis said:

I could never make out what it was they would chant.

Thanks for enlightening me John

MACBETH!!

11 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Oh you mean Macbeth?

Martian

Poor Tony isn't going to want you cursing this build. I'll leave this here.

;)

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

;)

I just think your nose is sore!

Martian

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Fer fex ache, I leave you boys alone for five minutes and this place becomes a ruddy Mcmadhouse.:frantic:

Absolutely great - you've brightened my lunch hour no end. Cheers!:clap:

I'll post a more considered reply later once I'm back at home.

By the way. You're wasting your time, that superstitious Scottish-play nonsense doesn't affect m...................................

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Fer fex ache, I leave you boys alone for five minutes and this place becomes a ruddy Mcmadhouse.:frantic:

Absolutely great - you've brightened my lunch hour no end. Cheers!:clap:

I'll post a more considered reply later once I'm back at home.

By the way. You're wasting your time, that superstitious Scottish-play nonsense doesn't affect m...................................

Tony, firstly,I thought you were already aware that BM is the largest on line nut house in the world.

Secondly, how on earth do you post a considered reply to what has been going on here?

Thirdly,The Macbeth stuff was mostly aimed at getting Johnny to go on tweaking his nose until it fell off! (Oops I said the M word again!)

MacMartian

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Right. Let's get you lot sorted out then. :bobby:

On 10/27/2016 at 5:24 PM, 71chally said:

Some nice musings there Tony, both canopies do look good, Falcon are very good anyway.  I would still go SH for fit etc and to make my life easier - I have a funny feeling thought that you don't like making life easier for yourself when it comes to modelling, at least!

Great idea using PNs pictures as a basis of decals, never occurred to me that one!

Thanks for that James. Like many of my great ideas, that decal one had a short but glorious life. I did make another discovery today that made up for it - more on that at the end of this update.

23 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Looking at  the amount of wood grain you can see under the canopies, I think the Falcon item has the edge, all being equal regarding fit. The vac-form canopy would also make opening cockpits a lot easier if you have that in mind.

The house has very much been a total interior re-build and the disruption over the last twelve months has been horrendous but there is now a small light at the end of the tunnel as we are starting to put things back into the house.

I'm veering back to Falcon Martin, but conscious of James' caution over fit. I'll test-fit both before drawing a definitive conclusion. You must be looking forwards to reclaiming your domicile from the builders!

21 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Sorry for the late reply.

it's a quote from black adder three.

the actors would chant it to ward off bad luck from, ahem. "The Scottish play". :yahoo:

I always enjoy a bit of SlackBladder...

Martin/James/Murdo:

A-black-cat-ladder-magpie-009.jpg

Let's be careful out there....

Oh. And you too Phil. Don't think I didn't see that....:chair:

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Your experience with "vague" placement diagrams in the instructions, though, is pretty much par for the course for SH. Test fit like crazy until you find the Gaussian best fit and you'll be OK.

Hi Bill! Thanks for confirming that on the instructions....I thought it was just me.:book::wacko: I'm more of a Bayes theorem guy when it comes to building things......

BTW. Fairey engineers drank Fairey Juice: 1 part glycol, 1 part rosehip syrup, 2 parts scrumpy cider. Served in a 1,600lb bomb-casing with a bendy straw.:lol: You didn't think it was explosives that sank Tirpitz did you?

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I don't know Bill but I want some of it!

17 hours later waking up hungover with fresh tattoos in a sauna in Shanghai and you might feel different...

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Too late! Too late!. I got home to find there was only this much gin left:

30622907545_799b321cd0_m.jpg:crying:

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I just think your nose is sore!

Hush, or I'll tell them about the tattoos....:whip::lol:

Just to make good on my cryptic comments earlier about having found something to make up for the misfiring decal idea - and partly to assuage Crisp's shocking lack of faith in my resolve to fold something on this baby :o:D I came across a whole load of these, which appear to be Barracuda maintenance manual drawings that  I not seen illustrated to this level of detail anywhere else:

1425669345_barr_22_2.jpg

1425669309_barr_23.jpg

I don't want to ususrp the original poster by sticking any more up here, but you can find the rest yourselves at:

http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_p_1108089.html#1108089

This was in fact the motherlode I'd been looking for with regard to these regions of the Barra. Just be cautious of the interior drawings though - some are Mk.II and some Mk.III, but the qualifier isn't always easy to read due to poor reproduction.

No glue tonight as recovering from a busy day, but more interior tomfoolery tomorrow.

Night all,

:bye: Tony

BTW. Forgot to add this link for another Barracuda landing in Ireland:

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~dan/war/dp862.htm

I'm frankly suspicious about this succession of crews landing and being entertained in local hotels for several days. It sounds more like a case of 'Oh yes old boy, just fake a bit of a coolant leak and it's good for a few days on the razzle...'

A Beaufort you say?

dp862.jpg

And just what were those airmen inserted into....

• Like 8

Great link Tony.

The crews had definitely heard that a good time was to be had on the Emerald Isle. All nice safe landings.....

Now, I do like to try to be helpful. :) 

I get the feeling you're going to show the engine on this 'Cuda. I know I often get confused, but looking at your Aeroclub engine, I felt you may have purchased erroneously :shrug: .

I did a Google search and lo and behold, yes, you need an engine that looks like this:

30323259480_481b4c8318.jpg

Don't forget to make sure you have some orange paint ready :thumbsup2: .

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

:rofl: I'm sorry but I couldn't possibly put anything in Baywatch orange onto this aircraft, I would have continually impure thoughts about Erika Eleniak.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, TonyTiger66 said:

Great link Tony.

The crews had definitely heard that a good time was to be had on the Emerald Isle. All nice safe landings.....

Now, I do like to try to be helpful. :) 

I get the feeling you're going to show the engine on this 'Cuda. I know I often get confused, but looking at your Aeroclub engine, I felt you may have purchased erroneously :shrug: .

I did a Google search and lo and behold, yes, you need an engine that looks like this:

30323259480_481b4c8318.jpg

Best regards

TonyT

And what a lovely engine it is too,now that does give rise to a swift fnaar-fnaar.

I quite like(as you may have seen in prior ramblings on BM)big rorty V8's.

Didn't take much for aircrewery to want make a swift eggzit from a Baccaruda,their reputations(the Baccaruda's that it)weren't

triffickly glowing......

Sea Fury pilots also found Korean beaches were good for dropping into for their Grubbers to have a bit of R and R upon

whilst under the auspices of recovering said errant Sea Furies..........

• Like 3

Oh no, don't get me going on the Plymouth 'Cuda, I used to own its Dodge brother, a Challenger T/A - used to enjoy touching up the block in that orange, actually I used to just enjoy touching it up!

Not quite the 426 Hemi pictured above, but a nice 360 all the same.

7495243642_be4fe74cb4_c.jpgDodge 1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pak by James Thomas, on Flickr

7495244404_4cd8dfb01e_c.jpgDodge 1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pak by James Thomas, on Flickr

Sorry to digress, I will make up for it with a Fairey design team lesson soon...

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

BTW. Fairey engineers drank Fairey Juice: 1 part glycol, 1 part rosehip syrup, 2 parts scrumpy cider. Served in a 1,600lb bomb-casing with a bendy straw.:lol: You didn't think it was explosives that sank Tirpitz did you?

17 hours later waking up hungover with fresh tattoos in a sauna in Shanghai and you might feel different...

Clearly you have tried the stuff already!

Martian

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Miggers said:

found Korean beaches were good for dropping into for their Grubbers to have a bit of R and R upon

whilst under the auspices of recovering said errant Sea Furies..........

By that stage it had clearly become habitual! :lol:

15 hours ago, 71chally said:

Sorry to digress, I will make up for it with a Fairey design team lesson soon...

To my (feigned) shame James I thought that TonyT had originally posted a photo of a rather garish lawnmower engine....

15 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Clearly you have tried the stuff already!

In my tribe it has replaced hunting an eagle for its feathers as a rite of passage into manhood. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, 71chally said:

Oh no, don't get me going on the Plymouth 'Cuda, I used to own its Dodge brother, a Challenger T/A - used to enjoy touching up the block in that orange, actually I used to just enjoy touching it up!

Nice! When I was in that stage (not quite grown up yet) I went through a progression of muscle cars: first was a 1967 Camaro convertible with a police interceptor 327 ci 300 hp engine, then a 1975 Camaro Z-28 with a 350 ci 325 hp engine, and finally (my wife made me buy this one) a 1978 Firebird Trans Am with the 400 ci engine and the silly shaker hood and turkey crest decal on the hood bonnet. They were all red (none of that Smokey and the Bandit black and gold for me). I liked the 1967 Camaro the best - when you opened the bonnet, you could actually look past the engine and see the ground underneath the car. Can't do that now! And it was by far the quickest of the three.  :) 

I'm anxious to see your build going forward. I think that I'll try to add the extra detail that I see on your new kit to the old MPM kit I have in the stash. I could always just buy the new kit, but what's the challenge in that? :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

I'm anxious to see your build going forward. I think that I'll try to add the extra detail that I see on your new kit to the old MPM kit I have in the stash. I could always just buy the new kit, but what's the challenge in that? :) 

Let me know if you need any close-ups of particular sections Bill. :thumbsup2:

Looking at the Gunner/Radio Op's chair as-is does not fill one with confidence for the prospect of a solid mount, whilst the roundedness of the base contrasts with the very sharp corners of real thing:

30342119120_b42017b0cb_c.jpg

1425669471_barr_20.jpg

I decided therefore to ditch the original mount and make up a sharper version, drilling out mount and chair underside to receive a few mm.s of brass rod as a more secure structure:

30553856031_4ae15ca1aa_c.jpg

The triangular mounting in this photo is a bit tall so I reduced it in height by about 2.5mm before finally gluing it all into place.

The driver's seat has some kind of horizontal mount across the top under the headrest:

1425669649_barr_13.jpg

so I added this in with piece of microstrip:

30008253323_e3d31ce276_c.jpg

That will suffice to tag some straps onto later. I also added the rudder pedals onto the front cockpit for good measure:

30008251613_2606740e49_c.jpg

The joystick for this was somewhat lacking in definition, so firstly I scratched-up the handhold from 15A fuse wire, twisted round some fine tweezers and then crushed slightly to mould the parts into a whole in some flat pliers:

30553854341_98b1d6ea00_c.jpg

As with the chair mount previously, I drilled out the base and added some brass tube to give a well-secured column for the joystick assembly:

30008249843_27a42d181d_c.jpg

That front part is looking ok now. I do believe it is ready for some interior green before, adding the harnesses and soft furnishings:

30553852721_b01b4215ea_c.jpg

As to the rear cockpit, this too in sitting in anticipation of greenery. Those upright bulkheads are nightmarish to fix securely, as there is so little surface area joining them to the cockpit floor that I'm anticipating having to repair things at a later point in time:

30342114340_b10101fdce_c.jpg

I'll leave that now tonight to harden. Hopefully tomorrow will see some primer and a snort of green on these structures, then we can start adding boxes, cushions and straps. Maybe a wire or two if I can discern some detail from the rather ropey reproductions I've got of the rear cockpit areas.

Have a good evening all of you.

:bye: Tony

• Like 9

22 hours ago, 71chally said:

7495243642_be4fe74cb4_c.jpgDodge 1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pak by James Thomas, on Flickr

7495244404_4cd8dfb01e_c.jpgDodge 1970 Challenger T/A 340 Six Pak by James Thomas, on Flickr

A 340 Six Pack !!!!,mmm-m.:worthy: Me likey that one,lots of Vroom-aarrrgh

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nice! When I was in that stage (not quite grown up yet) I went through a progression of muscle cars:

very nice collection, I'm fascinated by that era of wild styling & colours, with outragous raw power that anyone could order straight of the forecourt.

1 hour ago, Ascoteer said:

The trouble with Hemis is that, despite the Yankee love affair with them, they are really ineficient at burning the intake charge.

That was the other side to it, hang the economics and environment!

Loving the Briggs & Stratton six wheeler, but will stick to their cylinder mowers.

Anyway I have taken this subject way too far from the aura of the lofty Fairey design office at Hayes, on with the Barrcauda.

Superb fine detail work there Tony, this is going to be another  marathon build.

Have you got shots of the various bits of Barra from FAAM?  Unsure how much they would help mind

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

This is shaping up nicely!

Thanks Martin. :thumbsup2: I've been pondering where I'm headed with this and I think I'm going to play it safe on the markings and stick to one of the Operation Tungsten birds, Furious air wing probably. I'll save that rather handsome torp therefore and load this up with some AP ironmongery.

Where I will extend the kit (aside from basic detailing) is, I think, to have that cowling off the engine and to go for another port wing fold. First Officer Maureen approves of this scheme:

D58.jpg

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

Superb fine detail work there Tony, this is going to be another  marathon build.

Have you got shots of the various bits of Barra from FAAM?  Unsure how much they would help mind

Cheers for that James. I have been scanning through their material, some useful stuff for the cantilever structure to hold the engine, but a lot of crinkly and bent pieces as well. Fascinating to watch the guys at work.

Tony

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

We shall all expect a highly detailed replica of First Officer Maureen of course, no excuses accepted!

Not sure how I'd manage all that flowing hair Martin - Slaters' Microstrips? :D

A fantastic and brave creature, like all of her sisters in the ATA:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/maureen-dunlop-pilot-for-the-air-transport-auxiliary-who-made-the-cover-of-picture-post-7834571.html

Tony

• Like 5