Spitfire MkI, No.1 Middle East Training School

Looking good! The finish line is just in sight now. Is there a canopy mask available for this base kit? Or is the fit going to be more of a bear than paint on the frame?

Thanks MG. I don't use canopy masks as I'm far too tight to buy them (the Blenheim is the one exception to this rule).

It's looking great Simon! If I remember right, the AZ Mk II/V kit has that big gap between the forward canopy and fuselage.

Thanks Cookie. Your memory serves you well there's a very big gap, and it's not just at the front.

• Like 1

That looks to be a bit of a pain Simon! Good luck with sorting that out.

Rob

Thanks Rob, I think I need all my luck and some filler.

Can't 'like' that Simon - good grief... I hope you can sort it out, awful.

So do I! Trouble is that I haven't got a lot of time to sort it out; my wife has an operation on Saturday and I'm packing my belongings as I've sold my house.

• Like 4

Apologies for the 'like' over the page - it was meant as a morale-booster, not a round of applause for the kit-maker!

All the best* tackling the little horror.

Cheers,

Alex.

* And for the move.

• Like 1

Not to worry Simon, when you're ready.

I hope your wife's op and the house move go well - see you when you're settled. :)

Thanks Ced. I'll still be around but might not get much modelling done.

I have never built a kit by anyone other than Airfix, Heller, Revell and Tamiya, this should be interesting viewing. :popcorn:

Really? You're missing out on a whole load of aeroplanes that the mainstream manufacturers can't make money out of. Have said that, some of the short-run kits are 'challenging' so, you've also limited your vocabulary of swear words.

Apologies for the 'like' over the page - it was meant as a morale-booster, not a round of applause for the kit-maker!

All the best* tackling the little horror.

Cheers,

Alex.

* And for the move.

That's fine, Alex, and thanks. (See the last art of this post for an up-date on the canopy.)

Good luck with the op and move Simon, hope it's as stress free as possible on both counts.

As for the canopy what about a vacform?

Rob

Thanks Rob. Luckily, it's not me having the op but my wife. She was due to have it on Monday but it was cancelled because of an emergency.

Well, I had a fiddle with the canopy and have come to the conclusion that I have been trying to fit the wrong canopy, I've been using the one for the AZ Spitfire I and trying to get it to fit the AZ V fuselage. Or, the other way round, I'm not sure anymore.

Anyway, the better-fitting canopy has had a bath in Klear and will be fitted in the very near future.

• Like 4

This thread will be quieter over the next week or so because I am moving home. The downside is that I no longer have a house full of Spitfires (although I am sneaking them into my wife's place, there are 10 now and I don't think she's noticed) and will need to thin my stash a little (there might be some stuff put in the 'For sale' section on here). The upside is that I've cleared my 'shelf of doom' and should get some cash from all the 1/35th armour kits I'll never make.

Anyway, this kit is now in a box awaiting transport to it's new home, where I plan to finish it.

(Edited to correct spelling.)

Edited by Beard
  • Like 4

I hope the move goes well Simon (and that you find a place to model!) :)

It's going well so far, Ced. Tomorrow nearly all of my furniture, along with quite a lot of unfinished kits, goes to the local tip.

Somewhere to model will be problematic, I think it'll be the dining table.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally moved and sorted out a few of my belongings so have found some time to work on this again.

I've found a canopy that fits (well, sort of) and painted it with the first coat of interior green.

Photos will be posted later.

• Like 6

Apart from sorting through piles of stuff for the tip and the charity shop, I've been reacquainting myself with this:

20160910_163537_zps71kyl5fk.jpg

and putting new strings on this:

20160910_130852-1_zpswniwglmr.jpg

before seeing if I have a canopy to fit my Spitfire:

20160911_164416_zpsp0ygwp3l.jpg

Not too bad. It's since been painted.

More soon.

• Like 5

I've run out of 'likes' for today. The last post needed three :D! Is the first instrument a mandolin? It's a beautiful thing to be sure.

The vintage electric is really vibrant, a new set of strings is always a nice treat. I save old strings (like all kinds of other stuff) for modelling. Quite a few possible uses, especially for the 9 to 10 thou " ones.

That canopy looks like it will do the trick :thumbsup2:.

Hope you're settling into your new home and enjoying the good clear out, and rediscovery of old musical friends :)

Best regards

Tony

• Like 1

Nice Simon :) I know nothing about guitars, sorry, but the canopy looks good.

Thanks Ced.

I've run out of 'likes' for today. The last post needed three :D! Is the first instrument a mandolin? It's a beautiful thing to be sure.

The vintage electric is really vibrant, a new set of strings is always a nice treat. I save old strings (like all kinds of other stuff) for modelling. Quite a few possible uses, especially for the 9 to 10 thou " ones.

That canopy looks like it will do the trick :thumbsup2:.

Hope you're settling into your new home and enjoying the good clear out, and rediscovery of old musical friends :)

Best regards

Tony

Thanks Tony. The first instrument is a Mandolin. The electric is in my favourite colour, Candy Apple Red, I'm yet to have a fiddle with my Strat, Jaguar, Mustang and Banjos.

• Like 1

I've become a little side-tracked by my Tomahawk build in the MTO Group Build but I have done some work on this one. Some PVA glue to, hopefully, fill the gaps around the canopy. This photo was taken when the glue was still wet.

20160916_170740_zpsuucq619o.jpg

• Like 4