Russian for Subtle - "KV-2" - 1/35th Trumpeter

Well as promised, my entry is the subtle soviet tank the KV-2 - Take one heavy tank, mount an office block for a turret and add a 152mm Howitzer to help make it inconspicuous. This is also one of my favourite tanks in World Of Tanks - it's not always effective, but it is so much fun :-)

The Trumpeter kit - from 2005 so it's a pretty early kit from them but doesn't look too bad at all

P1010440_zps3kmnzyce.jpg

Also the Lion Roar full upgrade set - lots of PE / Wire and a nice Aluminium barrel

P1010441_zps7gbvbafd.jpg

I've also got the Bronco individual link OMSH track set

So today's work - first assemble most of the hull, there's a bit of flash on the parts so a little cleanup required, and there were small gaps on the glacis joint so used some green stuff to fill the gaps, and improve the weld lines

P1010442_zpsgo1pbpcx.jpg

At the rear of the hull, replaced the cooling outdraught grille and deflector with PE, soldered together. Lion Roar give you small brackets for the back of the deflector which help get the shape right, but are quite tricky to solder. Good practice though, there's going to be a lot of that for this build

P1010443_zpsfon8hyg1.jpg

Finally filled the ejector marks and sanded back the fenders, and removed the moulded on detail that will be replaced with PE. Using my RPToolz punch and die set made new rivets where they had been sanded off

P1010444_zps1b6nmfoj.jpg

Peter

• Like 8

I built this when it first came out as I just couldn't resist the absurdity of the thing!

I found the link and length tracks worked pretty well, and were my introduction to this method of track construction.

Looking very good so far.

Karl

Today something of a mammoth session, mainly because when i was planning to break off a huge thunderstorm passed over so i decided to stay in the shed rather than get drenched.

Anyway first up, added the fenders along with the PE replacement braces

P1010448_zpsludv5wl8.jpg

P1010449_zpslgnf7zz7.jpg

Then a fun 3 hours soldering up the PE boxes. These are badly designed but do go together eventually with some persuasion and bad language

P1010450_zpslz7kuevn.jpg

Finally due to the storm I ended up making the turret

P1010451_zpsefgrgixd.jpg

P1010452_zpsrwvhquw1.jpg

Peter

• Like 8

Today's work - first adding some deflected shots ( some Pak 36 (3.7cm) and some Pak 38 (5cm) ), which failed to penetrate the armour. Drill the holes part way through, then use some milliput to add the 'spall' around the edges.

P1010453_zpstlfhel6v.jpg

Added the gas cutting texture to the edge of the main glacis plate

P1010454_zpsyhx17qlq.jpg

Finally added the tow cables - very nice copper cable supplied in the kit

P1010455_zpsjzazotki.jpg

Peter

• Like 4

I did spend 3 hours building up one side of the bronco tracks, but there were 2 slight problems - first the bronco tracks represent the smaller tracks which were'nt used on KV-2's, and they had a tendency to fall apart.

So on with the Link and length tracks

P1010456_zpsvvz7iatx.jpg

P1010457_zpsxlsafjwv.jpg

Peter

• Like 3

Today's abbreviated work - Primer, specifically Ultimate Black Primer ne Badger Styrinex

P1010458_zpswhoirygg.jpg

Cut short as i'm having compressor problems - it's using way too much oil, so looks like a seal is leaking. Very annoying as I love my little Sil-Air, but we'll see if anything can be done about it, hopefully it just needs some TLC and new seals.

Peter

• Like 3

It's really looking the business now Peter. All the details have really enhanced it. The tracks look good, no need to worry about the other ones. :)

I hope it's nothing serious with the compressor.

Keep on keeping on, it's impressive!

Best regards

Tony

Today's work - New compressor, the old one is technically FUBAR. It's leaking oil into the receiver, so bought a new one. So onwards and sideways.

First sprayed the tracks with Alclad Steel

P1010459_zpswq1yvk3s.jpg

Then started work with the Black and White technique - only the third time i've tried this

First the darkest grey (90% Black / 10% White)

P1010460_zps3sjz90kg.jpg

Then the mid grey (70% Black / 30% White)

P1010461_zpsoqslqxsh.jpg

Next highlights (30% Black / 70% White )

P1010462_zpsgdzixhg7.jpg

Then Top highlights (10% Black / 90% White)

P1010463_zpsp4johhca.jpg

Extreme Highlights (100% White)

P1010464_zpszvmb5rlm.jpg

Peter

• Like 4

So first some 'chipping' in greys and white

P1010465_zps49jfmml5.jpg

Then a coat of Ammo 4B0 mixed with 60% 'Transparator' to make it translucent

P1010466_zpsdguaeeq6.jpg

It's a bit washed together in the photos, but some does still show through, then a clear coat over the top to prep for all 4 decals :-)

P1010467_zpsdtqn77zq.jpg

Peter

• Like 4

Today - first a couple of coats of Hairspray, then a light coat of white (95% white to 5% Deck Tan - heavily thinned)

P1010468_zpspm0iy7y9.jpg

Then attack with a stiff brush and water - more threatening than Pak 36's

P1010469_zpsswc9wlty.jpg

P1010470_zpswom6m0nl.jpg

Then finally a coat of satin varnish over the top

P1010471_zpswhgxlnmp.jpg

Probably repeat the process again, with slightly more tan and using the "scratches" fluid to get smaller chips

Peter

• Like 8

I'm learning stuff here! That looks great, the 'black and white' method is fascinating. The White camo looks very 'right'. I like how it is cleared around the decals/stars, something I personally feel makes winter camo look accurate :)

I have to do it on 3 aircraft and a fuel truck very soon, so really appreciate you sharing this :thumbsup2:

Best regards

Tony

Today's work - first on with Ammo 'Scratches Fluid' then another coat of white ( this time cut with 10% Deck Tan), then rub back

P1010472_zpslybgnsom.jpg

Then on with a Grey / Brown filter

P1010473_zpsv5o5g6jz.jpg

Then a pin wash made from Mig Neutral Wash and Mig Cold Grey Wash

P1010474_zpsgr6mdlzk.jpg

P1010475_zpstqevlane.jpg

Finally while the oils are drying, did some more work on the tracks. They've been sprayed with Alclad Steel, then a wash with Track Wash and finally rubbed the surface with AK Dark Steel Pigments. Gives a nice base for later.

P1010476_zpsule4h90e.jpg

Peter

• Like 5

stunning work and exactly what I was hoping to see in the GB, some winter white washing and the hair spray technique being used to great effect.

Today's work - first some chipping

P1010478_zpsnnw23cmn.jpg

Then on with Winter Streaking Grime

P1010479_zpsmrmxq0rx.jpg

Dirtying up around the running gear

P1010480_zpsx4uxptzo.jpg

Fitted the tracks

P1010482_zps8uticqjs.jpg

Painted the exhausts and sprayed the exhaust staining

P1010483_zpsi74lrkrw.jpg

Finally painted a few more of the details - this is where it finished at the end of today

P1010484_zpsyyjv4guq.jpg

Peter

• Like 6

I was a bit surprised when you did all that work on the base green then covered it up, but that's really coming together now and looks great.