1/48 Trumpeter MiG-3 +++FINISHED+++

#2 for this GB is this little beauty. Not without its inaccuracies - there is a chance to get the Russian Light Green and Sky Blue out and have some fun. Prevalent in 1941-2 there are 3 options, the most spectacular one in winter white but that is a Late version, so I won't be doing that one.

I've read its a nice kit - so should be fun

Box pics

P1040794_zpsnyyfbgrd.jpg

P1040795_zpswttncz7f.jpg

• Like 5

But, but.....The white one is just so lovely! :weep:

Great to see another new type in the thread.....This is the first MiG-3 isn't it, I'm starting to lose track? :shrug:

Think so! I've got an Eduard Yak-1b which I may still do yet but I noticed there are a few of these in different scales. The Eduard one is the old Accurate Miniatures kit with added ooomph!

Typical Trumpeter to include an attractive scheme...that the aircraft never wore!

Great to see another new type in the thread.....This is the first MiG-3 isn't it, I'm starting to lose track? :shrug:

Yes, Andy beat me to it, and now I'm going to have to review my stack to see what else I have that is different ...

Know the feeling :) I got a Zvezda one then found out it was the same inaccurate mould as most other people have used, so I also got a Hobby Boss one. Saw Andy's post that he had this in mind so both of them went back into the stash.

• Like 1

Know the feeling :) I got a Zvezda one then found out it was the same inaccurate mould as most other people have used, so I also got a Hobby Boss one. Saw Andy's post that he had this in mind so both of them went back into the stash.

Well gents - if either want to start another, I'm probably going to do 'White 17' - however I had better make sure I finish this now I've started the thread! :banghead:

• Like 1

A fine choice Andy...

Just so you're forewarned, this kit builds up nicely, however it has three faults accuracy-wise, all minor, and which can be ignored.

1) The cockpit did not have enclosed sides - one might sand the kit parts until just the frames remain, or just simulate the actual configuration using light and shade.

2) The radiator tapers too much towards the rear. Not really noticeable except when the model is looked at from below and compared to a plan.

3) The landing gear doors are too thick (Quickboost makes a drop-in replacement).

Happy modelling!

• Like 2

A fine choice Andy...

Just so you're forewarned, this kit builds up nicely, however it has three faults accuracy-wise, all minor, and which can be ignored.

1) The cockpit did not have enclosed sides - one might sand the kit parts until just the frames remain, or just simulate the actual configuration using light and shade.

2) The radiator tapers too much towards the rear. Not really noticeable except when the model is looked at from below and compared to a plan.

3) The landing gear doors are too thick (Quickboost makes a drop-in replacement).

Happy modelling!

All over those like a cheap suit...I'm already thinking about the gear doors - once I've had a good look, I'll decide. Good info

• Like 1

Regarding the cockpit, this is the outcome after sanding the sides and adding detail - some detail comes from said cockpit sides - to the fuselage interior:

27615718432_906e5889e8_o_d.jpg

27105943413_0c24003db1_o_d.jpg

As you can see the sections are not round and the edges are a bit rough (a Flex-i-file may be your friend here), but it's not so noticeable in 1:1 scale.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

OK, some progress. I decided to leave the side walls as they are. The options were to file/sand down, buy an Aires resin/plastic replacement or an Eduard etch one - all too much for me to tackle and mindful that I'm closing up the 'pit anyway.

Some rudimentary partial glueing in place of various bit prior to priming with Vallejo Grey primer

P1040887_zpsjgptgkbv.jpg

Once dried, I sprayed French Blue Grey even though the instructions call for the equivalent of RLM02. Once dried again, then I picked out details using Tamiya Flat Black, picked out various dials, switches and levers with Tamiya White and Yellow. Silver was then dry-brushed to pop the detail.

Ultimate Dirt wash was then brushed and left to dry partially before being wiped offf with a cloth and cotton buds. Ironically the finished colour looks close to RLM02!

P1040888_zpselyhs0ig.jpg

P1040889_zps4rjk6fls.jpg

Finally put the 'pit together with the seat and added Jammy Dog 1mm tape seat belts

P1040890_zpsyphk4vle.jpg

P1040891_zpstpddmemb.jpg

These were then finally glued in place in the fuselage trapping the tail wheel and the radio

P1040892_zps11mwhqac.jpg

P1040893_zpsa0uizzpw.jpg

I then did some dry-fitting of the top wing to the root to see if Trumpeter's engineering will allow me to do this and so minimise the filler

P1040894_zps70jhetnc.jpg

Anyway - that's all. Thanks for looking

• Like 4

A bit more progress on the little MiG

Filler applied and the roots have been sanded. Not much needed - I decided not to fix the upper wing halves first as the fit seemed OK. The nose is an amalgam of sectional bits - I can see why Trumpeter did it but it's fiddly to get right and also needed a swish of putty

P1040906_zpsxk3s35qg.jpg

As mentioned above, the gear covers are hopelessly thick, so a quick online purchase from the big H and these arrived today

P1040907_zps8nw7mzfg.jpg

Radiator housing painted by brush ready for gluing. The fit isn't great as the middle section needs some fettling to sit right. I used some Mr Dissolved Putty to fill the gaps and they look OK now

P1040908_zpsntirfwr4.jpg

P1040910_zpsjsvkeybo.jpg

P1040912_zpse9d5sklp.jpg

The clear parts were masked with Tamiya tape cut with a sharp scalpel

P1040909_zpsocbihkc1.jpg

The they were glued in place using Gator Glue

P1040911_zpstqglwz2o.jpg

Thanks for looking

• Like 3

Maybe one of the best looking WWII era airplanes....Looks like a racing machine...long nose, short spanned wings.....

All the best...

And that is where the problems started, it was a bugger to fly for the poorly trained...you're right though Artie a good looking beast

Nice progress Andy. Agree with Artie and yourself about the MiG-3 looking sleek and sporty; one of those machines which look as if they were approaching the pinnacle of propeller-driven aircraft design.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments guys! Despite a long day at a friend's wedding and a day in the garden today, I still managed a fair bit Friday evening and tonight...

Clear bits glued in place - they needed a swipe of filler at the very front but the rest fitted beautifully

P1040913_zpsge4vpjmz.jpg

Underside intakes all filled and checked ready for primer including the flaps fitted in the 'up' position. They needed a little fettling and sanding of the front edges to sit properly

P1040914_zpsaf1qglzn.jpg

Although not clear due to my cr#p photography skills - that is actually Alclad Airframe Aluminium in the wheel wells sprayed on top of Vallejo Black primer

P1040915_zpsobswo90d.jpg

These were then masked off for the main primer using Vallejo Grey

P1040916_zpsshskr5mc.jpg

P1040917_zpsfs1bjgf8.jpg

Tamiya Black pre-shading (or blotching as I usually end up doing with my bludgeoning airbrush technique)

P1040918_zpsieynfw99.jpg

Underside on...I don't have Russian colours so I used Lifecolor RLM 78 with a misted white over the top to lighten it

P1040920_zpsgcxub0xo.jpg

This was masked off at leading edges and tailplane to wing trailing edge and Lifecolor Interior Green sprayed. The blotching has given me some nice variation.

P1040921_zps7xqyf1ax.jpg

P1040922_zpsbhge6zzv.jpg

I masked off the outer parts of the props and sprayed Alclad Aluminium as the instructions call for this curious metal inner part

P1040923_zps88gfhivy.jpg

P1040924_zpsel4qtlza.jpg

Under wing bomb rails brush painted with Tamiya Aluminium

P1040919_zpskesl5xfj.jpg

On the home straight now...thanks for looking

• Like 2

Your wish is my command Cliff!

First there were some preliminaries...the nose was hand painted Tamiya Flat Black - it was going to be sprayed but the masking was just too fiddly on the rear underside of the nose, so out came the brush. Once that was done my trusty rough sponge was deployed using Tamiya Silver to dab on wear and tear to the metal parts of the airframe (inner wings and fuselage). Picture evidence seems to show they got quite worn in that hostile Russian environment. Once completed to my eye, the model was given a coat of Alclad Gloss.

P1040925_zpsy6tpibmz.jpg

P1040926_zpskzmubtnq.jpg

An initial wash of Ultimate Dirt was applied and then wiped off with a damp cloth

P1040927_zpsminigcaj.jpg

P1040928_zpsxbktbppc.jpg

A second wash was completed and the (just for Cliff) on with the decals. They are very nice and settle very well.

P1040929_zpshtevrf8u.jpg

P1040930_zpsagexrxke.jpg

I attempted some rudimentary exhaust staining with chalk pastilles and a finger tip but I'll probably go over this with some airbrushed grey and Tamiya Smoke

P1040931_zpslrzv9bsk.jpg

Bomb rails fitted

P1040932_zpsl3iuvpl5.jpg

Undercart fitted

P1040933_zpsvvkhg1qi.jpg

And now able to stand on all three wheels

P1040934_zpsejgbybko.jpg

Undercarriage doors and the bombs to do and some final weathering and then I think she's done. Was there an aerial wire between the front post and the tail?

Thanks for looking

• Like 4