Airfix Doctor Who "Welcome Aboard"

I'm currently in the middle of the rigging stages of my first Wingnut Wings kit ( a DH-2 ) and its testing my patience to the max !

Fearing a major meltdown I decided to start this kit along with the Daleks in Manhatten set to give me something to work on while I regain my composure and I can use it as a count to ten build when the rigging starts to do my head in .

Here's the box ( pic found on tinternet )

image_zps6kehu3ws.jpeg

The reason for the shanghai'd pic is because some time back I needed a box to package something I sold on eBay and the good Doctor's box filled the need perfectly ( what with it being bigger in the inside )

So all the Bob's and bits ended up in this one

20160504_101856_zpsu9goyaqe.jpg

I didn't take pics of all the sprues ( there isn't much to the kit to be honest ) but heres one with the lid off

20160504_101901_zps7mwjm2wm.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk

Work started on the console which is moulded entirely in clear plastic ( I don't need time travel to see the future will involve masking ) The fluorescent green bit in the centre of the tube is a piece of paper supplied in the kit that you have to roll up and shove inside

20160504_103310_zpswozithpo.jpg

Gave all the parts a quick blast of clear green ( sprayed on the insides )

20160504_104527_zpszy1nj18a.jpg

Then a quick blast of clear blue concentrated around the edges

20160504_105756_zpsnlngz9o0.jpg

A quick looksee with the centre tube and green paper

20160504_105857_zps9iaznxr3.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

I wasn't too confident how well or not it would show with the clear green paint but it looks ok ?

20160504_105935_zpsfvzgzmc8.jpg

I don't know what this part is called ( I keep thinking of it as an umbrella ) but it sits on top of the time rotor.

It's the blue bit in the background of the above pic

I gave it a base coat of deck tan and then lightened it for high lights and darkened it for shading

20160504_140619_zpsehxb3mqg.jpg

This bit goes underneath the console and has what looks like cables moulded onto it so I gave these a quick coat of semi gloss black freehand with the airbrush

20160504_142534_zpstdh7snpp.jpg

The above pic is shocking lol. A bit easier to see in this one

20160504_142558_zpse9vewtdg.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

A bit of masking and again a base coat of deck tan ( I lightened this a I went along to add some highlight )

20160504_140626_zpsw4myn2hj.jpg

The obligatory dry fit type thing mit der time rotor und umbrella

20160504_142659_zps5ckssg3g.jpg

The top of the console got a coat of a hull red/flat brown mix and the bottom got the same along with a bit of semi gloss black

20160504_145747_zpsbkbuuan5.jpg

Another fabulously dark pic with the masks off

20160504_150122_zpsx4uadxht.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

Held up to the light the dog can see the rabbit. Incidentally the areas on this piece that I so carefully masked up, end up behind the legs

( Gordon Maybe a moron but I'm a complete shobgite )

20160504_150200_zps3nbukvs6.jpg

And the console top. I backed the clear paints with a thin coat of white as they lacked depth but it still allows light through

20160504_150222_zpsipyyglsb.jpg

More dryfit/looksee shenanigans ( it helps bulk the thread out a bit if nothing else )

20160504_150806_zpsi2n7uyge.jpg

Legs and skirt wire thing attached

20160504_152049_zpsnezrw8av.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

It's hard to show what I did here but I'll try

I mixed a couple of drops of the base colour with Tamiya smoke, drop of black and a tiny bit of thinner and with the pressure set low I just pulled the trigger back enough to get it to spray a bit "spitty"

20160505_095149_zpsudzpz4e8.jpg

I got in really close with the airbrush to try and minimise overspray. The idea was to darken the tone and to get the "spittyness" to add a bit of texture amd age to the console

also got the hairy stick out and based some details in black

20160505_102948_zpsibhvp98g.jpg

Then over the black with a few metalic colours to add a bit of bling me old son

20160505_110201_zpsk5kjlcel.jpg

And then ( yes you guessed it ) dry fit have a butchers, scratch the chin and pick the nose whilst thinking " what else does it need

20160505_110309_zps0el3wypq.jpg

I ended up using a bit of Vallejo rust wash around the raised details and a pencil to add some where and tear around the console edge

20160505_112649_zpsiu4rcexn.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 1

There is a printed cardboard background supplied with the kit to go inside the TARDIS so a couple of pics with the console in front to give it some context

20160505_113854_zpstnqd5pwl.jpg

20160505_113904_zpsjeiqvwkh.jpg

The final bits of the console are the steps ( I think that's what they are )

20160505_114041_zpsyfvahp2c.jpg

And a dash of Alclad steel

20160505_114905_zps3gs3h3mp.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk

I'm undecided on weathering them at the moment as I don't think much will be seen when it's all fiited into the box

20160505_115347_zpskl8vbim1.jpg

More blatant padding out with unnecessary pics ( hey it makes the thread look busier and loos like I've done more work than I really have lol )

20160505_120523_zpsxajwz4ue.jpg

I'm thinking I can maybe hang some real wires about the gaff and add some more 3D ness to it

20160505_120643_zpsnhhntne9.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 2

A quick mock up of the TARDIS and the forced perspective doesn't look too bad ( I honestly didn't think it would work ) when the door goes on it will restrict the view a little more I think as it doesn't open right back to the side wall

20160505_120922_zpslzi3ulmp.jpg

I'm certain things will end up a bit dark once everything's in and the lids on so I'm toying with lighting it up.

I did a quick test just to see if the console would allow enough light through

20160505_122051_zpsrels0rtr.jpg

It's not too bad

20160505_122146_zpsm2v7fm30.jpg

Getting the LEDs in will be easy and I don't have to worry about hiding wires as the real TARDIS has them all over the place but getting power to them and hiding the battery pack will need a bit of thought.

The roof of this has batteries in it as this kit has a light and sound feature but I'm not sure how easy it will be to pinch a feed off of that, I think I will need to investigate that

20160505_122202_zpsj1titcbr.jpg

Edited by Brundledonk
  • Like 8

So that's where I'm at with it at the moment. I'm going to work on the figures next ( deep joy ) but will also have a look at the wiring idea.

As I mentioned I am also building the Daleks in Manhattan set along side this and will start another thread later ( yippee double drudgery lol)

Cheers for looking in and if you have any thoughts, pointers or just want to tell me what a Plumpton you think i am then lease don't be shy and feel free to chip in

Pete

Wow you are off to a flying start. Nice one mate

I have been working on this and the Dalek kit over the last couple of days inbetween rigging the biplane, not too much In the way of parts but some careful paintwork on the console. So far seems like a great kit and should be a lot of fun. The figures a really nice ( the likeness of David Tennant is epic ) I'll take some pics of them tomorrow

Pete

I must have one!!

Dr Who is my favourite television series and I did not appreciate this bit of kit existed. Thank you for sharing.

You are doing an excellent job and I will be enthusiastically following your progress to conclusion.

• Like 1

Air-to-Air, I think you will struggle to get the kit ad I think airfix no longer produce it...try ebay

Yes, initial searches indicate one won't be easy to come by.

• Like 1

That interior is way more effective than I thought it would be! I have this kit and was trying to figure out if I could build some kind of wedge-shaped segment of console between two mirrors to make it bigger on the inside, but seeing yours I think following the instructions is a better plan :)

Cheers,

Will

Looks good - wish they'd release it again with alternative Doctors and assistants... Jon Pertwee and Katy Manning (Jo Grant) or Tom Baker and Louise Jameson (Leela)... mmmm

• Like 2

You Do seem to like odd bits don't you?

I have one of these somewhere in my stash but have lacked the motivation to do more than test the sound and light feature.

(sounds like the parking brake is stuck on...)

The figures were really good for Airfix.

So far it looks the part, now let's us see how Martha turns out.

:Tasty:

• Like 1

I must have one!!

Dr Who is my favourite television series and I did not appreciate this bit of kit existed. Thank you for sharing.

You are doing an excellent job and I will be enthusiastically following your progress to conclusion.

Yes Airfix produced this and the Dalek kit, and as mentioned they are no longer in production. I picked both of these kits up years ago and iirc the Tardis was from Maplins ( of all places ) and the Dalek kit from TK Maxx, both were around a tenner each.

Pete

That interior is way more effective than I thought it would be! I have this kit and was trying to figure out if I could build some kind of wedge-shaped segment of console between two mirrors to make it bigger on the inside, but seeing yours I think following the instructions is a better plan :)Cheers,Will

I too didn't expect much of a result, but the forced perspective is pretty good to be honest and once the door is fitted it will restrict the view a little more and should help the effect.

Pete

Edited by Brundledonk