Airfix 48th - Spitfire Mk.I & Messerschmitt Bf 109E-4

Cheers fellas.

Today's efforts have seen the green go on and a gloss coat of klear. I also made a start on the 109 getting the cockpit together complete with Unteroffizier Ernst Poschenrieder of 7./JG53.

SDC18503_zpsr1eafso9.jpg

SDC18499_zpsztb6sm1v.jpg

• Like 5

Lovely finish to that camouflage. I felt like this with my latest build the Revell 1/32 MK II. I built mine as the Ia. Had various issues, mainly due to my crankiness and ineptitude. Finished it now and posted it in the RFI section. Made mistakes, learned a whole lot. On to the next build.

Stick with it that will be one good looking Spitfire.

Thank you both.

Chuck, your big Mk.I is a real beauty! Looks real in some of those black and white shots. I keep telling myself I should try my hand at a biggie but always end up with your standard 48th or 72nd... One day... One day.

No further progress to report on my spitfire. However I have made a little start on the 109. The cockpit and pilot are just about done and I've closed up the fuselage which is currently clamped and setting as I type this.

SDC18511_zpsym9yttto.jpg

• Like 3

Camo on the Spit is excellent, i'm glad you never binned this one. Great start on the 109 too. I'm building the same kit and its been great so far. I look forward to your progress. :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Gosh, and you were going to bin that! Looks superb! By the by, how do you get such a good finish with your kleer? I airbrush mine cut with windolene, but don't quite get that super smooth finish you have!

Edited by PaulR

Gosh, and you were going to bin that! Looks superb! By the by, how do you get such a good finish with your kleer? I airbrush mine cut with windolene, but don't quite get that super smooth finish you have!

Klear - I spray it neat at around 20psi, just light coats one after the other building it up gradually. The paint is lightly sanded before application. I think that's the real trick to it. Thanks.

On with the 109 and I've got it all together :) Other than having to clean up each and every part of a heavy mould line and flash it's gone together well. The cannon inserts were a little troublesome and needed some careful adjustments to get a decent fit, the leading edge slats too. Also the tail wheel had a flat spot and no second part for a wheels up option so I built it up with squadron putty and re-shaped the tyre.

The canopy I masked myself with tamiya tape, couldn't really justify spending six pound odd on a mask set when the kit itself only cost that much and didn't fancy the wait either!

SDC18536_zpsv9kynp4q.jpg

SDC18533_zpsdsbx6fcc.jpg

Ready for primer now and looking forward to the challenge of painting :D

• Like 3

A sneek peek at the Spit...

SDC18542_zps2dxpy0sj.jpg

And now..... Do I, don't I?? Let's see how I get on with these two for now... If all goes well and there's no mojo killer moment as there very nearly was early on I'll be in with it :) Be wrong not to really wouldn't it!

SDC18543_zpsdj2rypvz.jpg

• Like 1

Speaking as someone with five kits on the go, I say go for it! Which squadron are you goijng for? If I get time(!) I might attempt my new Airfix Hurricane in 238 sqn marks - not a squadron one sees represented, if ever!

Thanks chaps. Now the hurricane might make an appearance but it'll be late on if it does... Because of this!

SDC18549_zpstj1vgfsv.jpg

I sprayed the yellow bits on the 109 early this morning... H329 Gunze, which is a gloss - Gloss takes an age to dry properly so I was left with nothing to do. So why not start 3 more!! :D

I ordered a sky models 109 decal sheet a couple days ago and was banking on it arriving today, sure enough it did and with no less than 37 marking options so a good choice of selection for this trio.

I'll build them all wheels down and with canopies closed as it's a little sparse in there. I've done more modeling in the last week than I have the past two months! Maybe down to the shot of CA in my thumb! Think I'll have a swig or two of IPA if the mojo shows signs of dropping in the near future. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Cracking on at a pace :)

I now have this.

SDC18553_zpsl7bxd0z4.jpg

SDC18555_zpsa8r0q2tv.jpg

The Instrument Panels are not strictly accurate but I wanted them to stand out and this is the best I could manage.

Dan

... Just noticed the sticks are the wrong way, thankfully not glued so no problem!

Edited by Dan
  • Like 4

Thanks again :)

Right... Today's efforts have resulted in one painted Messerschmitt! My first ever attempt at mottling and I'm quite pleased with the result. I tried following the airfix painting guide to begin with but soon lost that and just went on with my own random pattern.

Hopefully when I Klear it, add decals and give a dark dirt wash it'll be toned down a bit.

SDC18560_zpszt6nsurf.jpg

SDC18567_zpshbmjpsid.jpg

SDC18571_zps74ceas88.jpg

SDC18568_zpszyohtpll.jpg

SDC18563_zpsplunnnbn.jpg

The other three have not progressed, I spent a good two hours this morning studying the sky models decal sheet options in the hopes of finding three suitable subjects and I'm still lost as to which (if any) took part in the BoB. To be honest I've discovered lots of conflicting information, the sheet has some marks down as E-4 when other sources say they are not. I think my best option now will be to find some definite info on interesting 109's that took part and then go about finding the decals for those instead.

Do let me know your thoughts on my first attempt at mottling!

Cheers, Dan

• Like 6