AML/Aeroclub/Freightdog Halifax B Mk.II engine correction set

Huub vD

Hi all,

Of the 3 engine correction sets (Aeroclub/Freightdog/AML) for the Revell Halifax B Mk.II i find the AML the best tooled and cast of the 3, but can anyone comment which of the 3 is the most accurate.

Huub

The Aeroclub set is injection moulded rather than cast resin isnt it?

My money would be on Aeroclub given John'scattention to detail. Freightdog were always up front that their set was (deliberately) lighter touch and therefore less than perfectly accurate - it was also cheaper and less invasive however.

Last year I wanted to buy Aeroclub's correction, but John doesn't sell to Eastern Europe, so I can't comment his set.

Freightdog is "correction set which actually isn't that" because it only makes Revell's mistakes look smaller, but doesn't solve them. I give them a credit for being honest with that, but on the other hand didn't spend my money there as I see no point in buying improvement set which doesn't do the job.

I hadn't realised that AML had done one, so thank you for that information. Looking at it on the net, I have to say that I'm not impressed by the spinners, which appear too long. The set just provides replacement parts, so it does nothing to narrow the nacelle. Therefore it has the same basic problem as the Freightdog set, in that they make the dog of a kit look better but only superficially. You do get alternative transfers with it, so that may sway your judgement. I can't judge the propellers by the views I've seen.

The Aeroclub one is the only one that addresses the core problem of accuracy, but is much more work than the others. Even Aeroclub does not cure the problem of the fairings on top of the wing.

Looking at the aml set, it only includes the front ends (like the freight dog set), not the cowlings unless they're hidden in the pictures. If this is correct, then only Aeroclub replace the full cowls making them more accurate.

I've got two sets of the Aeroclub ones and although not built yet, are very nice and injection moulded too.

I agree with the above,......having looked at the AML set on line I wasn`t convinced by the look of the spinners. The Freightdog set is a good easy fix to make the model look better which I can thoroughly recommend and it also includes wheels and a plug for the rear wheel recess plus a tail wheel too but the Aeroclub sets are the best `in depth' conversion sets,.....there are two,...one for Gallay and one for Block style radiators..

Cheers

Tony

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately John has ceased trading so I imagine these sets are no longer available. The above posts are correct in that they are by far the best solution to the Revell problem. Hopefully someone will do a licensed copy - even in resin they wold be fine.