Revell 1/32 Ju88A-4 with Wallace and Gromit as a sideshow

3/7 update:

More PE fitted to the starboard panel. Sort of a "spot the difference" quiz :analintruder:

DSCN3051.jpg

The W & G side show seems to be making more progress:

DSCN3053.jpg
DSCN3054.jpg
DSCN3057.jpg
DSCN3058.jpg
DSCN3059.jpg

The footrest connection of the sidecar to the bike is ridiculously flimsy so I have replaced the plastic pin with a piece of brass rod.

That's all for today, really hot and humid at the moment so time for a cool refreshment :winkgrin:

• Like 6

OOH Yes if it does get HOT do not forget the refreshments Julian. :drink:

And as for you learning from a book that does surprise me you must be getting very mellowed out in your more mature years :winkgrin::winkgrin:

Keith

OOH Yes if it does get HOT do not forget the refreshments Julian. :drink:

And as for you learning from a book that does surprise me you must be getting very mellowed out in your more mature years :winkgrin::winkgrin:

Keith

Never too old to learn Keith :clif: It's a really good reference book for just about all techniques used on wingy things which is very useful seeing as I spent the last few years concentrating on floaty things.......................... :winkgrin:

I have a floaty thing to build...HMS Belfast. I got it from the ve day celebration kit from airfix a friend found in a house clearance he did. Is the kit any good? Looks ok to me but.... I know nathing! (The a is intended)

As for your progress, I love the finish you have on W&G its gleaming! And the side panel is a thing of beauty... It looks like it should work!

Rob

Edited by rob85

I have a floaty thing to build...HMS Belfast. I got it from the ve day celebration kit from airfix a friend found in a house clearance he did. Is the kit any good? Looks ok to me but.... I know nathing! (The a is intended)

As for your progress, I love the finish you have on W&G its gleaming! And the side panel is a thing of beauty... It looks like it should work!

Rob

Hi Rob, I never built the Airfix 1/600 Belfast so maybe someone else here can shed more light on the quality of the kit. I do know that the 1/600 series contains newer kits but also some that I built when I was still in short trousers at school in Plymouth that are certainly not state of the art.

Thanks for the kind remarks on the W & G project. Hope I can finish it off without ruining the paint job, (you don't want to know how many touch ups and minor resprays have already taken place. Even decanted some of the red paint from the rattle can to do some hairy stick repairs).

The panel is another thing that makes you wonder why you bother with some of the details. I will be fitting a folding seat today that covers up a lot of the PE I have painstakingly fitted the last two weeks :hanging:

Looking good Julian! Great work on the canon pipes... excellent! :)

Thanks Ced, I now appreciate the fantastic job you did on the W & G aircraft all the more after tangling with this build :boxing:

Thanks Julian, very kind... you're making a great job of it and I'm glad you're getting some touching up as well, fnaar fnaar :D

July 4th update:

How much detail can you add to a miniscule side panel? Still not finished but I am on finals now. Rumble seat has been fitted along with its seat belt that doubles as a securing strap. I used my Olympus for the macro shots because the macro setting is far superior to the Nikon P 520's that i usually use so that I could check the chipping and it is a tad too heavy so I'll tone that back a bit.:

P7040181.jpg
P7040184.jpg
P7040185.jpg
P7040186.jpg
P7040187.jpg

Slow work but I am getting there, (started late watching the qualification at Silverstone. Another nail biting pole by Lewis :yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo::thumbsup::yahoo:

Stocking up on beer and munchies for the race tomorrow :clap2: :clap2: .

I did manage a little messing around with W & G's soap-sud cannon:

P7040188.jpg

Needs to be a bit cooler to make progress here, the paint either stays tacky or falls off :yikes: :yikes:

Its still about 27 degrees Centigrade here at Casa Gremlin so I am heading for the cold beer,

Cheers :Tasty::drink:

Julian

• Like 7

Looks good Julian.Have you do something on safe boat?

Hi Miro, thank you ! No, nothing done with the liferaft compartment yet, I'll get back to you when that starts up because I am not sure exactly where the compartment is :winkgrin:

Rob

I built this one twice in in my life and its one of the best Airfix ship kits. With Wem etched parts it could turn out as a masterpiece. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed. Fit is generally good even out of the box. Will look good and busy on a shelf.Just the right scale to me and its full hull. Plastic is a bit soft, so be careful not to cut too much.

• Like 1

The cockpit is turning into a jewel of a model in it's own right! The cold beer sounds a good plan, off to get one for myself!

Martin

@ Gremlin 56. Like the idea of that diorama and the great details on the sidewalls.

Thank you bbudde, nice of you to take a peek :winkgrin:

The cockpit is turning into a jewel of a model in it's own right! The cold beer sounds a good plan, off to get one for myself!

Martin

Thanks Martin, the cold beer was an excellent idea. Luckily its a lot cooler this morning :bye:

Cheap thrills, 5/7 update:

Following Miro's links to a veritable treasure trove of Ju88 photo's the idea hatched to add the liferaft compartment to my Ju88 build.

The compartment itself is a shallow box towards the rear of the upper fuselage:

P7050189.jpg

P7050190.jpg

P7050191.jpg

P7050192.jpg

Shouldn't be too difficult to build a small box that fits underneath the cover of the compartment and scratch an uninflated raft you would think? Think I'll go for it :hmmm::wicked:

:coolio:

Edited by Gremlin56
  • Like 3

I built this one twice in in my life and its one of the best Airfix ship kits. With Wem etched parts it could turn out as a masterpiece. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed. Fit is generally good even out of the box. Will look good and busy on a shelf.Just the right scale to me and its full hull. Plastic is a bit soft, so be careful not to cut too much.

Cheers muchly mate! Good to know its not a pig to build... Only ever built one ship, it was the cutty sark and it flew out the window when I left it on the window sill with the window open... 2 storey drop and platic ship don't go together.

Julian, I think adding the liferaft is a cracking idea and well within your skill set... Looking forward to the results

Rob

Seconded! (The raft, not Cutty Sarks on the window ledge). :)

It'll be a nice challenge and a great addition to an amazing interior. Just make sure you have lots of photos before you close up!! :)

Looking good Julian, but now I can hear my A-1 called from the top of the wardrobe! Open liferaft hatch is a great idea, I've seen one over on Hyperscale with it done and it really adds something to the model, a nice splash of colour breaking up the camo.

Cheers muchly mate! Good to know its not a pig to build... Only ever built one ship, it was the cutty sark and it flew out the window when I left it on the window sill with the window open... 2 storey drop and platic ship don't go together.

Julian, I think adding the liferaft is a cracking idea and well within your skill set... Looking forward to the results

Rob

Yes, let's do it :winkgrin:

Seconded! (The raft, not Cutty Sarks on the window ledge). :)

It'll be a nice challenge and a great addition to an amazing interior. Just make sure you have lots of photos before you close up!! :)

Good morning Ced, thanks for the support. I'll be trying to make the hatch openable :mental:

Looking good Julian, but now I can hear my A-1 called from the top of the wardrobe! Open liferaft hatch is a great idea, I've seen one over on Hyperscale with it done and it really adds something to the model, a nice splash of colour breaking up the camo.

Thanks mate, that is the idea; a great big yellow patch on the spine of the beast. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Update 5/7:

So using some Tamiya pla-plate this is the result:

P7050193.jpg

P7050194.jpg

P7050195.jpg

P7050196.jpg

It needs some cleaning and strengthening but this is the idea. It looks a tad too deep as well but thats a minor concern because the raft can be put on a support to raise it.

Correct me if I am wrong Miro but the storage bay looks like unpainted metal on the photo, is that a correct assumption?

Cheers for now,

:bye:

Julian good position ;)

Thanks Miro, see what a single photo can do :winkgrin:

• Like 5