Revell B767-3JHF DHL

So last weekend our club had a weekend Blitz build where we complete a model or models in around 48 hours.

So I had this great idea to build an airliner wheels up, I figured I could get something finished in a weekend.

So I chose the Revell B767 kit and a nice set of decals from Draw Decal.

40874414982_309671b7ea_o.jpg

I got off to a flying start filling the windows and getting the main assemblies together. Well, that was all the smooth sailing I had. After that, I was plagued with seams popping, paint not drying and the winglet that would not keep its shape. Needless to say, I did not get it finished.

So last night a stripped the troublesome paint and thought I would give it a less rushed attempt.
26043900197_3d1ab22a5d_o.jpg

26043900047_f414f2189d_o.jpg

After stripping some of the filler for the windows reacted with the oven cleaner I used to strip it. So more filler was applied. I am paying attention to some of the seams that were not cooperative as well.

The pain in the a*** winglet was also removed.
26043899967_37721c39ca_o.jpg

I was happy with the other so it stayed put
40874414152_09d6f66c58_o.jpg

Again the stripper reacted with some of the putty so it has been reapplied.

Next were the engines, there were no issues with them, but after looking at some reference pictures on Airlines.net I noticed some details I could add, like some fences and a protruding bit at the bottom of the nacelle.
40874413892_ca86b0652f_o.jpg

So after a bit of a less hectic evening, it is ready for some more. sanding and prepping for paint (after the winglet is fitted that is).

I hope to plod along with this one and if the paint behaves may have it ready for decalling sometime by the end next weekend.

If you are on Facebook then here was the story of the weekend and my build....

Link

Edited by Romeo Alpha Yankee
Updated Image links

• 2 weeks later...
I have been slowly sorting this one out. Had a lot of issues with the winglets and faring them in. It is done now.

So that has let me get on with the painting. I switched to Humbrol acrylics which have caused me no end of issues.

The only part of the blitz build section I could salvage were the stabs

40874413162_52825a8875_o.jpg

The wings are mostly painted and awaiting the leading edges and corogard section to be masked

40874412912_c9c7ec8612_o.jpg

40874412702_bdc0d83e26_o.jpg

The subcomponents in formation for a picture (no glue was harmed to get this picture)

40874413302_43ae3ccfc9_o.jpg

The engines need their final masking for the metallic bits as well.

Updated Image links
  • Like 2

Hi Ray

Your build is looking great.

Just to let you know of a potential issue. I tried this scheme a couple of years ago and had real problems with the striped decal that wraps around the nose. Because Draw Decals 'digital silk' are quite thick, they don't bend well even with decal softener. In the end I used the decal up to the radome then painted the stripes on the radome using very thin strips of masking tape.

Hope this helps - best of luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers

Tim

• Like 1

Hmm those winglets look a bit off to me. If you take a look at the real aircraft they should be wider at the base, as well as a bit more flattened on the top. That said, I can't remember the last time I saw blended winglets in 144 that looked accurate...

Nice build though, I'm eager to see it in full colors!

Looks very nice! Is that a Revell A340 I can see in the background?

Sure is, its one of my 'fill the time between waiting for paint to dry, etc' projects. I started it while I was building this kit on the blitz weekend. I will get to it once this one is done.

Hi Ray

Your build is looking great.

Just to let you know of a potential issue. I tried this scheme a couple of years ago and had real problems with the striped decal that wraps around the nose. Because Draw Decals 'digital silk' are quite thick, they don't bend well even with decal softener. In the end I used the decal up to the radome then painted the stripes on the radome using very thin strips of masking tape.

Hope this helps - best of luck with the rest of the build.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim,

I had planned to print out a scan of the decal sheet to see how the fit would be. I am about there so might tackle that tonight.

Hmm those winglets look a bit off to me. If you take a look at the real aircraft they should be wider at the base, as well as a bit more flattened on the top. That said, I can't remember the last time I saw blended winglets in 144 that looked accurate...

Nice build though, I'm eager to see it in full colors!

I made the winglets form scratch based on the set RICHW makes. I had to adjust them a little when I had issues earlier. They look OK to me and now they are painted I will leave them as is. I have another wingleted -300 to build down the track so I will pay more attention to them then.

On 03/03/2015 at 8:17 AM, feoffee2 said:

Which livery is the a300 going to be

Fed Ex, it is a for a TV/movie aircraft club display, I am using some Flying Colours A310 decals to mark it up (that's what I had in the decal library). It is supposed to represent the aircraft Tom Hanks crashed in in Cast Away.

36866088015_2ff676e70b_o.jpg

Edit: since it has been finished a while I added the picture of it completed

Updated Image links
  • Like 1

Somehow missed the beginning of this thread. Beautiful finish on the yellow after all the trials and tribulations.

You do know that if it wasn't an official Blitz build, it would all have fallen together perfectly in less than 48 hours of course.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1

It is suppose to represent the aircraft Tom Hanks crashed in in Cast Away.

I hate to be the buzzkill again, but I'm pretty sure it was an MD-11 in the movie X)

Edited by wanthony

Arrhhh.... Link

Yes there were MD-11s in the background after he was rescued, he jumped onto an A300 at the beginning of the movie :D

Sure he walks toward the A300, but during the crash scene they show an MD-11 cockpit and while he's bobbing around in the ocean the #2 (tail) engine almost hits him.