Big Beautiful Doll

Thank you Bernd, Notty, Jhutchi, Danyel, Egor and TheStig. Thank you all once again. :)

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning model! Congrats!

Did you paint an undercoat of white under the checker boards?

I am finishing the Tamyia 1/72 with the same decals and I am searching myself about that small stupid detail!!!

Beautiful!

JR

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning model! Congrats!

Did you paint an undercoat of white under the checker boards?

I am finishing the Tamyia 1/72 with the same decals and I am searching myself about that small stupid detail!!!

Beautiful!

JR

Thank you both James and Jean.

Yes, I did paint a white undercoat before applying the decals. The nose checkers were in four parts, and joined faultless. On the wing tips, there was a small gap between the top and bottom decals. The black checkers needed to be joined up with a little black paint. Hope this answers your question. Please don't hesitate to ask if you want to know anything else. Thank you both again, Joe.

It's such an iconic version of a remarkable aircraft and you have really done a grand job here. I've got the old 1974 mould of the Airfix 1/24 scale of the same aircraft, which I haven't built anywhere near as well as this. Superb build.

• Like 1

Hi Joe,

thanks for your reply. So it is decided: I will undercoat the checkerboard decals. Now at last I can carry on, and I don't want to regret not having done so, especially after reading James's comment.

Cheers

JR

• Like 1

Your welcome JR. Looking forward to seeing your build. :)

Great model in flawless NMF! Without doubt one of the most attractive World War Two Mustangs.

Had the idea for a 1/72 Big Beautiful Doll myself long ago and bought the Hasegawa kit and a Microscale decal sheet.

When found out the sheet lacked the checkerboards for the wings, laid the project on hold until found with selfprinted decals a solution recently.

Searched in the web for checkerboard pics and printed on decal paper. Originally planned for a Korean War F-86, I think it will work fine with the Mustang, too.

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 1

Thank you Mario. I think your idea of checkerboards will work out just fine.

• Like 1

Nice build! Shame the real thing was turned into a 'Big Pile of Bits'

I too have the same aircraft to do in 1/72 but I've got several boxings of it as I intend to do other Mustangs as well, this also means I've got spare decals in case of cock ups!

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Thank you Mike, if it's the Tamiya 1/72nd 8th A.F. Aces you have, have the same kit. If the decals fit like the 1/48th scale, then they should be very good. Thanks, Joe.

Thank you very much Dave, that's good of you to say, Joe

This is beautiful, what a fantastic presentation of a beautifully built model

Thank you very much Synopsis. I thought your F-5E was very good as well. Joe

• Like 1

Excellent work. The Alclad finish in various metallic shades is superb. I also have a nmf mustang in my stash from Tuskegee Airman sqd, though in 1/72. Do you have a WIP on your model?

Jaime

• Like 1

Excellent work. The Alclad finish in various metallic shades is superb. I also have a nmf mustang in my stash from Tuskegee Airman sqd, though in 1/72. Do you have a WIP on your model?

Jaime

Thank you Jaime, I'm sorry, I didn't do a WIP, it was before I joined britmodeller. I've only done one WIP, and that's still WIP. Cheers, Joe

Thanks for your reply, Joe. I'm always trying to learn from other modeller's techniques. Your Mustang is really excellent. Congrats again.

• Like 1

Thank you very much Synopsis. I thought your F-5E was very good as well. Joe

Thanks for the kind words Joe. Even your mount/stand is impressive. Could I ask what you used for the grass?

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words Joe. Even your mount/stand is impressive. Could I ask what you used for the grass?

Your welcome Synopsis, and thank you. The grass is Verlinden Static Grass.