D-Day Anniversary Air Show Duxford Arrivals and Practice

Thanks very much, guys. I hadn't noticed the props on the Twin Otter, but you're right, Parabat it looks as if someone has pulled a couple from the spares box after losing the originals to the carpet monster!

I had been planning to go to the show today, but the forecast is so bad that I'm postponing my visit until tomorrow.

Great photos, thanks for sharing. We had planned on going today but the cost of 2 adults and 3 kids turned out to be too much for us this month, glad we didnt its hammering down here in Norwich!!

I never think of going the day before for normal entry price, maybe do that for the Flying Legends!

cheers

Simon

• Like 1

Certainly a visit the day before legends is going down on my calendar. Luckily I had a quick couple of hours at Hendon yesterday so at least the day was not 'planeless'.

• Like 1

Those are brilliant photos. I would be very interested to know what camera and lens you used as I am looking to upgrade my set up.

Hi Tim

Thanks for the kind words.

I have two Nikon bodies and two lenses - the oldest body is a D80 with a Nikkor 28-200mm VR (Vibration Reduction) lens attached. I tend to use this for taxying shots and formations/large aircraft. I can hand-hold this at shutter speeds as low as 1/40 which means excellent prop-blur on stationery aircraft.

My second body is a D7000 with a Nikkor 300mm prime lens. This is a non-zoom and non-VR lens, which does sometimes require some swift swapping with the D80 for larger aircraft or formations!

Hope that helps.

Love the Navion in the US Army colours!! And are a couple of those Daks over from the States??!!

Re the 'Twotter', I flew in one to Jersey back in 1985. Same colours but with Jersey European Airline tiles and logos in white over the overall red. G-BKBC it was but must have been VP-???

• Like 1

Certainly a visit the day before legends is going down on my calendar. Luckily I had a quick couple of hours at Hendon yesterday so at least the day was not 'planeless'.

And a Jet Provost flew over our house today on the way to Dux I guess - so at least I got to see something in the air as well :-) :winkgrin:

• Like 2

We went today. We were not going to , but the wife said "lets go" late in the day. Rolled onto the airfield at 1.55pm! and it started at 2. It was fairly deserted , even getting there at 1.55 we were parked at the back of the American Air Museum. It was probably one of the best airshows at Duxford i have been to. It was very quiet , not much in the way of crowds , full airshow and no rain until about 5pm. Only lasted about ten mimutes then the 4 C-47s went up. It was worth going just for that.

• Like 1

Love the Navion in the US Army colours!! And are a couple of those Daks over from the States??!!

Re the 'Twotter', I flew in one to Jersey back in 1985. Same colours but with Jersey European Airline tiles and logos in white over the overall red. G-BKBC it was but must have been VP-???

Hi Paul. I'm impressed - I had to look up the Navion, as I had never seen one before! I understand that two of the Skytrains had made the trip from the USA.

And a Jet Provost flew over our house today on the way to Dux I guess - so at least I got to see something in the air as well :-) :winkgrin:

That's good. :thumbsup:

We went today. We were not going to , but the wife said "lets go" late in the day. Rolled onto the airfield at 1.55pm! and it started at 2. It was fairly deserted , even getting there at 1.55 we were parked at the back of the American Air Museum. It was probably one of the best airshows at Duxford i have been to. It was very quiet , not much in the way of crowds , full airshow and no rain until about 5pm. Only lasted about ten mimutes then the 4 C-47s went up. It was worth going just for that.

Excellent. A friend told me that he stayed to the end to see the C-47s and did't regret it. Pleased you had a good day. I'm going tomorrow. :photo: