Airfix Churchill Mk VII - FINISHED

Was hoping to start this today, but alas time has worked against me. So just to start things off, the obligatory box and sprue shots of the Airifix Churchill Mk VII tank I picked up from Modelzone just after Christmas for the princely sum of £3.20.

01Box_zps54cef122.jpg

02Sprues_zpsb30ab0e7.jpg

Edited by Hammasphee
  • Like 2

Looking forward to seeing this progress, love the Churchill* (in all it's guises).

Pete

*But I still love Matilda too!

Progress has been a little slow, a combination of work and the horrible number of small parts in stage one... 22 springs and 44 little wheels to create the track wheels, with a fair amount of flash and some horrible mould lines means I'm just picking at them bit by bit. Progress will speed up once these are finally done, I promise!

03Bogies_zps4229d840.jpg

Edited by Hammasphee
  • Like 2

Finally, some real progress! All twenty two bogies are now cleaned and assembled, and the basics of the body is now setting; hoping by getting this together first I can keep the wheels level and sitting flat. I've attemped to fuse the vinyl tracks together, but I'm not too certain about the final outcome - will have to see how it sits once everything is in place.

04Body_zpsc1062dc8.jpg

Edited by Hammasphee
  • Like 1

I remember all those tiny wheels when I built this one as a kid many years ago. I think I never got it to "sit" right on all those wheels and the vinyl tracks. I probably never quite understood how much cleaning work of the parts I should have done... Will be good to see this one taking shape.

• Like 1

Progress has been a little slow, a combination of work and the horrible number of small parts in stage one... 22 springs and 44 little wheels to create the track wheels, with a fair amount of flash and some horrible mould lines means I'm just picking at them bit by bit. Progress will speed up once these are finally done, I promise!

03Bogies.jpg

Struts, thanks for the reminder of why I stopped doing armoured kits !

I take my hat off to you, look forward to you showing this one whose boss.

Cheers Pat

I think I cheated when I made this kit.

If I remember correctly,I didn't put the tracks all the way around so that it would sit properly. The track guard running along the top

hid the fact the track wasn't there. :winkgrin:

If I may, could I pass on a little tip I used when building my Churchill tank treads, use a couple of small paper staples and use these across the joins, I used two per track, works a treat and if when you place tracks over wheels/bogies place the join at the top,under the bodywork, it cannot be seen.

Also before you install tracks paint the inside of the tracks.

Derek

• Like 1

Cheers for all the comments and tips, really appreaciate it. Little update before I take a break for a bit (got a column to write, still not started...) - all the little sub-assemblies put together ready for spraying. The plan is to paint the tracks and the wheels, then add the outer covering to the tracks. Having dry-fitted them, I am worried about how well they will go together and all line up, doesn't look good... Quick question to those that have done this kit, do these outer parts sit on top of the inner wheel support, or butt up against? One side fits better one way, the other the second. On the turret I've drilled out the holes at the end of the barrel, and added a lip with liquid green stuff. More progress next week! I hope...

05Assemblies_zps9b66f9aa.jpg

06Turret_zpse790f9a9.jpg

Edited by Hammasphee
  • Like 2

I used to hate joining vinyl track when I was a kid, it just never looked right. I too cheated when building this one in my yoof, I quickly got bored sanding the tags of the wheels and only did the outer ones. I also remember breaking a couple of wheels off while being too enthusiastic about putting the tracks on. :banghead:

Nice to see it properly built. :popcorn:

Oh yes, joining vinyl tracks was a nightmare. I built most of the Airfix tank range, and some Matchbox and others, all those years ago and I don't think I ever got it it right... I did use the staple trick and at least that prevented them from separating - mostly - but the tanks were still sitting "tip toe" on a rounded loop of vinyl. While vinyl tracks can't be ideal, the problems were probably more caused by the (over)enthusiastic kid than the tracks themselves... Those were good years none the less.

It feels good to see this being built today.

• Like 1

Right, managed to get a bit done yesterday. Painted the insides, with a bit of silver drybushing and a brown wash to add some depth. I then closed up the tracks, and my fears over the fit proved well founded. I think they are both slightly warped, and neither fitted wither properly nor symmetrically, so a fair amount of filler has been used to try and tidy the hull up. Next steps will be to clean up the filler (and reapply where necessary), masking the tracks and repriming ready for the final paint.

07Tracks_zps05d6d8b7.jpg

08Filler_zps6f0de8a4.jpg

Edited by Hammasphee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

That is an incredible finish on that old beast.there is far to much inspiring stuff on Britmodeller at the moment !!

• 2 months later...