Occidental Spit Mk IX

Hello Gents,

Why on earth building such an epic fail of a kit? I Have Hasegawa and ICM kits, even the new Eduard, so ? Well, wans't very productive this year and wanted to build fast and OOB.

So, the kit has real shape issues, but in the end it looks like a Spit : nose too short, spinner of a strange shape, rear fuselage too low at fin base, and of course the U/C is too angled and te legs are certainly too wide apart.

And I somehow mange to lose the underside formation light during the pic shooting.

Well, here are the pics, anyway. Hope you'll enjoy and comments welcome as usual.

Best

Stef (#6)

mkIX_fafl_01.jpg

mkIX_fafl_02.jpg

mkIX_fafl_03.jpg

mkIX_fafl_04.jpg

mkIX_fafl_06.jpg

mkIX_fafl_07.jpg

mkIX_fafl_08.jpg

mkIX_fafl_09.jpg

mkIX_fafl_10.jpg

mkIX_fafl_11.jpg

Edited by Stéphane
  • Like 3

You've done a nice job on a kit whose glory days are long past. Just because better kits are available does not mean it is not worthwhile building the old ones.

And this kit is still available. For a few quid less that the price of the Eduard gem you can get this classic kit in a nice new box with some excellent modern decals courtesy of Italeri. I built mine as a PR XI using an airwaves conversion. This enabled me to replace the oversize chin with an even bigger one!

Hello,

Yes, you're right, the kit can be bent to look like a Spit, and older toolings shan't be despised (sp?).

My point was that I had several better shaped kits of the same bird in the stash, hence building it was a bit of utter masochism. But it was fun and I was able to focuse on the painting and weathering, which is what float my boat these days.

The PR XI is a long time favorite, but I'm sure Eduard will do something for us, poor pilgrims, so I'll be patient.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Best

Stef (#6)

Great work there mate, a fine job. This kit does have some major accuracy issues, but to be honest, I don't really notice them! I've got a couple to build in the stash, which I'll do before I learn enough for the accuracy issues to annoy me!!

Hello Boss,

Yes I was very quiet : only 2 tankies and 2 planes this year ... I'm also the Prez of an airsoft team here, so it's a bit time consuming.

Currently working a laaarge 1/32 SU-27 and D520. Will post in the In-progress part soon, but progress are slow ;)

@ Val : glad you like. That's the way of building this kit : just ignore accuracy and go with the fun : painting and weathering.

Best,

Stef (#6)