Tamiya Bf 109E vs. Hasegawa Bf 109E

galfa

What scale?

1/72 it would have to be Tamiya (even though it is a little short after the wing station), ICM (if you can still find one) then Airfix

1/48 Eduard, Airfix, Tamiya, Hasegawa in that order for me anyway (Airfix ahead of Tamiya due to value for money)

Duncan B

Sorry, didn't really answer the question originally posted. Tamiya due to the ease of build and detail over Hasegawa.

Edited by Duncan B

Pros & Cons

Have you used up your computer's quota of certain characters? Are you limited to using only a few keys on your keyboard? I have plenty of useful characters to spare, so here are some for you. Feel free to use them when you post here.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ppppppppppppllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeee

• Like 1

Tamiya over Hasgawa 1/48th scale any day. I also prefer Tamiya over Airfix for anything later than a E-3/4/7. You have to replace the canopy on a Airfix if your doing a E-4/7 and I prefer the cockpit in the Tamiya kit over the Airfix one. I hate the Airfix seat (molded on belts look hinky) and like the Tamiya way of inserting the cockpit after you glue the fuselage 1/2's together. I can work the fuselage seamline easier...either scribing it back after I clean it up or building it "clean"

Don't even ask me about the 1/47th scale Eduard (and that ain't no typo...I meant 1/47th scale)

1/48 Eduard, Airfix, Tamiya, Hasegawa in that order for me anyway (Airfix ahead of Tamiya due to value for money)

Duncan B

I'd agree with that.

The 2nd and 3rd are a lot closer in placing, might even overlap as you have Airfix's heavy panel lines vs the already mentioned inaccuracies of Tamiya. I've only the Hasegawa E1 version and it does have less detail, but worse for me is the exhausts are molded into the fuselage.

regards,

Jack

Don't even ask me about the 1/47th scale Eduard (and that ain't no typo...I meant 1/47th scale)

Interesting, I haven't heard this criticism of the Eduard kit and on casual inspection of the ones in my stash I can't say it was something I have noticed (I don't make a habit of taking verniers to my kits or comparing them against plans either to be honest). Is this from your own observations and measurements?

Duncan B

• Like 1

I'd agree with that.

The 2nd and 3rd are a lot closer in placing, might even overlap as you have Airfix's heavy panel lines vs the already mentioned inaccuracies of Tamiya. I've only the Hasegawa E1 version and it does have less detail, but worse for me is the exhausts are molded into the fuselage.

regards,

Jack

The Airfix kit does have the trenches and the canopy needs to have the heavy frame in the middle polished off but I was quite happy with the way mine turned out when built side by side with the Hasegawa kit. The Airfix kit went together quicker and was waiting on the Hasegawa kit to catch up before they could be painted. Neither were close to the Eduard for surface detail subtlety etc though.

Duncan B

Edited by Duncan B

Interesting, I haven't heard this criticism of the Eduard kit and on casual inspection of the ones in my stash I can't say it was something I have noticed (I don't make a habit of taking verniers to my kits or comparing them against plans either to be honest). Is this from your own observations and measurements?

Duncan B

Correct, when Eduard 1st released their 1/48th scale kit there were major controversies over the length on Hyperscale since the kit is 2mm longer than any of the other Emil kits on the market. After some research by both myself and someone else who is very respected it was decided the fuselage was longer.

The Eduard 1/48th still has some of the same issues the 1/32nd scale kit has. Slats are too wide (not as bad as the 1/32nd but still wide), incorrect postion of the fuel fuller port on the port side behind the cockpit...oxygen bottle in the cockpit looks too tall....other things I forget. I have 2 E-1's (one gift, one I bought on sale when Great Models died) but no plans on getting more unless I get them cheap.

The gifted one is on the bench but it'll be awhile before it's done. I'm running 4 Tamiya 1/48th, a Airfix E-1 1/48th and it as 2014 US Nat's projects (plus 1/72nd Airfix and Tamiya Emil's) and concentrating on the Tamiya/Airfix builds right now since their simpler to do (no engines to fiddle with).

The length/inaccurrecy issues were swept under the rug ************************************

Edited by Mike
Let's not start throwing potentially libellous comments at other sites, eh?

2mm! Holy motherlovin' cripes-a-mighty, say it ain't so!

I guess 2mm shorter will make the black panel lines and whitened individual panels on the finish look more accurate too?

The new AZ 1/72 Spitfire is being criticised (in Cz) for less. If it is overall I can live with it as being unrecognisable unless placed back-to-back with another kit - if it is specific to a shorter section then maybe not. But in 1/48?

As for the noughts and crosses boards - with you there. What about flat tyres?

Correct, when Eduard 1st released their 1/48th scale kit there were major controversies over the length on Hyperscale since the kit is 2mm longer than any of the other Emil kits on the market. After some research by both myself and someone else who is very respected it was decided the fuselage was longer.

The Eduard 1/48th still has some of the same issues the 1/32nd scale kit has. Slats are too wide (not as bad as the 1/32nd but still wide), incorrect postion of the fuel fuller port on the port side behind the cockpit...oxygen bottle in the cockpit looks too tall....other things I forget. I have 2 E-1's (one gift, one I bought on sale when Great Models died) but no plans on getting more unless I get them cheap.

The gifted one is on the bench but it'll be awhile before it's done. I'm running 4 Tamiya 1/48th, a Airfix E-1 1/48th and it as 2014 US Nat's projects (plus 1/72nd Airfix and Tamiya Emil's) and concentrating on the Tamiya/Airfix builds right now since their simpler to do (no engines to fiddle with).

The length/inaccurrecy issues were swept under the rug ************************************

I guess I missed all the discussions as I'd never heard anything untoward about the kit. I was aware of some of the issues with the 1/32 and can understand how they could have been transferred onto the 1/48 kit but surely Eduard had enough time between releases to sort them out?

Oh well I have a few of them in the stash but I don't make too many 1/48 kits so they might wait long enough before getting built but I'm sure at least one of them will end up alongside the Airfix and Hasegawa examples in my display case.

Still some of the best surface detail I've seen on models of any scale though.

Duncan B

I've built the Hasegawa and Tamiya kits this year, and the Tamiya had the best fit of parts, was more detailed, and needed less filler.

The Hasegawa wings were quite a poor fit compared with Tamiya.

The decals for both kits were hard work, but the Hasegawa ones won by a narrow margin.

I've only had a chance to look at other peoples examples of the Airfix kit - the prop blades look terrible, but I have resin replacements because I will eventually acquire one.

Can't comment on Eduard kits.

Edited by Hepster

Yes, what is it with Hasegawa and the wing to fuselage fit? Not to get off on a tangent but for what they charge for their kits, this problem which seems to be endemic i.e. Spitfires, Thunderbolts just to mention a few, is a bit ridiculous. Overall I will take Tamiya for the vast majority of the kits available. I do have the Hasegawa/Revell Germany 109E and it is definitely Tamiya's inferior. I think in the case of Hasegawa there is a philosophy among modelers that because it is Japanese it must be superior. Like the old song goes, "it ain't necessarily so."

Cheers

• Like 1

One Hasegawa kit where I saw comments about wing root gaps was the Typhoon, but I got mine to fit without one. Granted, it took a bit of thinking outside the box, and I'm amazed that the glue (liquid, with a slathering of super glue for insurance) hasn't let go- there was a fair amount of tension within the model, as well as the modeller. The fuselage inserts, on the other hand...

bob

Go for Tamiya over Hasegawa. I've built the Airfix kit though (got them for nothing) and enjoyed building it regardless of faults and it still looks nice!

If I was buying however, I would go for the Eduard kit(s). They are great looking kits, plus they come with mask and etch for the same sort of price as you would get the Tamiya kit for. I couldn't careless if they are 2mm too long or short, no one is going to know and as I've said before, I've exhibited at a few shows and no one comes round with a tape measure saying 'your model is 2mm out!'.

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

Go for Tamiya over Hasegawa. I've built the Airfix kit though (got them for nothing) and enjoyed building it regardless of faults and it still looks nice!

If I was buying however, I would go for the Eduard kit(s). They are great looking kits, plus they come with mask and etch for the same sort of price as you would get the Tamiya kit for. I couldn't careless if they are 2mm too long or short, no one is going to know and as I've said before, I've exhibited at a few shows and no one comes round with a tape measure saying 'your model is 2mm out!'.

thanks

Mike

I agree with you Mike.

Duncan B