Wingnut Wings Sopwith Triplane up for sale on their website!

John Darlington

Fantastic = that's my Xmas present sorted

Shame about their website ... doesn't work under Google Chrome, and as of 2 minutes ago, could only display top 10% of any of the images. Anyone else have similar problems with it?

Merry Christmas for me as well! (Although I may wait until the Snipe is out as well to save on import charges.) No problems with their website on my PC.

Andrew

Hard to say without seeing it in the flesh but they haven't produced a dog yet so the odds are in your favour.

There also seem to be a few informed opinions around saying the dvii will be out this week too.

Those two will go nicely with the 3 I've just been informed by Parcelforce have turned up.

I normally don't venture into "large scale" kits but since this is WWI and it should be "relatively small" I may jump at it. I recently bought one of their Sopwith Pups and I was enamoured with just about everything in the kit. As a Canuck, I also appreciate the inclusion of Canadian pilots.. which, of course, makes me want this Triplane kit even more *LOL*

Cheers,

Dave

Just ordered one, so I'll see in a few weeks!

I hope you have better luck than I had.

My Fok.III and DH-2 were purloined by some low-life in the postal service (probably to sell on the blackmarket in order to feed a drug habit). Wingnut is doing it's best to get somebody from the various services involved but a quick resolution doesn't look likely. So much for a nice Xmas present.

But it just goes to show that the excellence of these kits has even caught the attention of the various filth imbedded in positions of trust.

Trubbie

Mine arrived yesterday, and it's GORGEOUS!! And all for $US69.00! How do they do it? (Probably helps to have a boss who makes Croesus look broke and is intensely interested in WWI aviation!).

It certainly makes Roden's effort look about fourth-class.

Trubbie - I sympathise, having had a few things go missing myself. Let's hope for no problems with these kits

Do HMC&E via Royal Mail / ParcelForce clobber us for additional monies with a list price of $69 for these imports. If so, how much?

Having looked at the fabulous WNW builds on here, I'll not be braving a WIP thread!

They do. It's £8 for the service and VAT on top.

To give you an idea I paid £7 VAT for an Eindecker, DH2 and Bristol fighter. Lord knows what that was based on though.

Always worth buying more than 1 kit at a time to spread the cost.

Trubbie - I sympathise, having had a few things go missing myself. Let's hope for no problems with these kits

Do HMC&E via Royal Mail / ParcelForce clobber us for additional monies with a list price of $69 for these imports. If so, how much?

Having looked at the fabulous WNW builds on here, I'll not be braving a WIP thread!

well I don't know about a single kit as I always get mine in pairs, but I've been clobbered everytime ( with one exception...see below re one that went AWOL)...this month a 9ack & an LGV, stung for an extra 29 quid by PF & HMC&E,

i had a Gotha go missing & WNWs bless 'em sent me another within 2 weeks no quibles....good guys!

Edited by sinnerboy

gcn / sinnerboy - thanks for the info. I just hope SWMBO appreciates all the money I'm spending to build her 2nd favourite aircraft (she doesn't know the Harrier is her favourite!).

jackflash - thanks for the review link.

I'll be doing mine as this one below ... bit of a waste of the decal sheet maybe, but done for reasons mentioned above ... looking forward to seeing your results chaps. BTW, I've got around 90 walkaround shots of N6290 at Old Warden if that will help anyone?

Great%2520War%2520Display%2520Team-0046.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly still waiting for my kit to arrive (shipped on 20th November I'm told). Am I unlucky with delay, or others still waiting?

Mine (along with a Fokker DVII shipped) 4/12. I was getting itchy waiting for it but if you've been waiting since 20/11 perhaps I'm being a bit previous! Lord knows when I'll get the OTHER DVII I ordered later & shipped 17/12 - on this basis, about March!!

Sadly still waiting for my kit to arrive (shipped on 20th November I'm told). Am I unlucky with delay, or others still waiting?

I'd allow up to 4 weeks before getting twitchy, especially this time of year. Parcelforce will tend to sit on it 3 weeks out of the 4.

Mine was shipped on December 4th but tracking on the Parcel web site shows it still at Auckland. I don't think I will be getting it for Christmas. I just hope it arrives before I finish the Pfalz IIIa I am building.

Andrew

Hi Stephen, I've just had a look at your review over on Aeroscale, it looks like a very nice kit and 94% rating is high prase indeed. Just a pity I don't model in this scale.

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Hoorah, I finally have the Sopwith Triplane.

It turns out that ParcelForce had in the UK by 29th November, but neither they nor HMRC thought it appropriate to tell me. A few emails and help from Andrew finally got me to the point where I was given a 17 digit reference number to pay the customs charges. However, this code, provided by ParcelForce, was not recognised by their website. I then tried getting it delivered to my local Post Office, thinking I could pay the charges there. The re-direction/redelivery process allowed me to set this up and gave me a confirmation number and confirmed date. This came and went - turns out, this cannot be done until the charges are paid, though the site does not tell you this nor prevent you from going ahead with the arrangements.

I rung ParcelForce and paid for the charges over the phone, reconfirmed my delivery address as home and waited for delivery next day (today). By 2.30pm there was no sign of it, so I had a look on the tracking service, where it now showed there was "no address identified". At this point I went into low earth orbit, rung ParcelForce and politely enquired what was happening. The chap said he would send a message to the driver and hopefully get it delivered later. An hour later it arrived when it could have been 10.30 this morning when he was in my road for another delivery!

Someone, I don't know who, had removed the paperwork issued by Wingnuts from the parcel, so all it had was an empty plastic bag for this and a ParcelForce tracking number with my post code. Nothing else! Even though I had reconfirmed my address and post code earlier, no-one thought to either upload this on the driver's system or write it on the parcel. :dunce:

Now, if I'd have known I could have used the NZ tracking number on the ParcelForce website (thanks Andrew), I could have sorted this earlier, though of course the parcel would still have been without any address details thanks to HMRC or ParcelForce.

The moral of this story:

1. Don't assume it will take weeks for it to be delivered, keep checking daily.

2. Use the NZ tracking code on the ParcelForce tracking system - it connects the NZ and UK codes.

3. Pay the charges over the phone and not on the website

4. Try and find someone in ParcelForce to confirm the parcel has an address label on it. :badmood:

I have asked Wingnuts if they can put a separate postage label on the parcel as backup, but they are on holiday until 14 January, so cannot yet detail their response. I have asked ParcelForce for an explanation, but I think I'm going to have more luck reading A Brief History of Time as that is likely to be more understandable and take less time.

I assume this is one of those rare occurrences where things go wrong and my ignorance of the process made it worse, but there may be some value in this story for some of you - if only to confirm I'm a twit!