1/48 Spitfire PR.XIX (SwAF S 31)

Inspirational, and very educational....

Many thanks,

Dave

Todays post i will start with the propeller shaft.

I made the prop shaft from interlocking brass tubes. I'm in that category who likes to have the propeller to be able to turn, which sometimes makes for that little extra work.

S31-75.jpg

S31-76.jpg

It has taken a lot of work to get the wing from the Heritage Aviation kit to pass as acceptable.

My example was very poorly casted with lots of air bubbles and pin holes and excess resin everywhere. And on top of that it had broken in half and was warped.

Here is the wing put together and treated to a hot bath after which it was straited out to the best of my ability.

S31-77.jpg

All panel lines are rescribed as they where so shallow they could hardly be seen and in some places non existing or in wrong places.

The wheel wells where among the hardest places to fix.

Here's a before shot (with some work already been made).

S31-78.jpg

and after

S31-79.jpg

The fairing over the wing fuel boost pumps comes up to short. It should extend a bit onto the landing gear covers.

They had to be built up and extended with PC and then sanded to shape.

S31-80.jpg

In hindsight i think that converting the Academy kit wing would almost have been easier.

The wing and nose have been mated (finally) to the fuselage, using 5-min epoxy glue to make sure it stays on properly and to fill out any gaps that may appear.

The fit is actually very good and only a small amount of filler is needed at the wing root joint to fill out a few small gaps.

S31-83.jpg

S31-81.jpg

S31-82.jpg

With the spinner temporary in place it's starting to look like a Spitfire.

S31-84.jpg

to be continued

//Johan

• Like 1

What markings will you put on it? The aircraft in Linköping at the Flygvapenmuseum hasn't actually flown in the SwAF and is marked "51", as the aircraft that actually served were marked 01 through 50... I'm looking forward to seeing this fantastic build continued!!

I'm planning on doing S/N 31036, F11-36 (ex RAF PS 909) with blue squadron color on the spinner.

I think that the aircrafts with blue (and green) noses are the ones that are most pleasing to look at. The red and yellow noses makes a to harsh of a contrast against the overall PRU blue finish.

31036 is one of only two aircraft (31031 being the other) that i now fore sure had blue spinner. Historical records on this matter is very hard to find since no official records exists on this. Also the color on the fin numbers is up for discussion, as both white and yellow is supposed to have existed. I'm doing mine with yellow numbers late in it's service life.

From the beginning all aircraft wore a fin number that was 20+ from the two last digits of the serial e.g. no.56 for 31036, but that was changed to have the same number as the serial, and my thinking is that when they renumbered the aircraft the color was changed from white to yellow.

This seems to be true for serials 31001-31040 which would have been marked (in white) with numbers 21-60, serials 31041-31050 got the later numbering from the start.

Robert Bergwall (RBD Decals) is doing some remarkable research work on this matter for his forthcoming 1/32 scale decals (and 1/48 i hope) and i have to thank him for providing me with a lot of info.

Edited by flarpen
  • Like 1

I'm not quite there yet, but it's getting closer to actually get some paint on this thing.

I have a small problem though, I'm not really sure which color to use. I have both the xtracrylix and white ensign models representation of PRU Blue.

Here is a test paint, white ensign to the left and xtraclylix to the right.

S31-85.jpg

They are actually quite similar in shade, xtraclylix is a bit on the bluer side and easier to paint with.

I would like your feedback on the matter and if you have any other suggestion regarding how to depict PRU Blue.

Which decals are you using? Flying Colors 48-102? I have reserved them for a similar project, since the Swedish markings are in the correct colour, but the roundels are severely out of focus. Will probably have to redo them.

The Carpena versions have wrong colored roundels, and the On Target MA-48133 are not much better (wrong yellow).

Lemche

I'm planning on using most of the flying colors decals 48-102 except the fin numbers. There isn't any real alternativ to those yet.

But I haven't looked at them that closely, so if they are out of focus i haven't spotted that yet.

As the size on the roundels wheren't SwAF standard on the S 31 (they where painted on before delivery in england) i don't think that the roundels from flying colors sheet 48-001 can be used as they are in standard sizes.

Johan

It still disturbs me that the Swedish Air Force used these Spits for target practice when their services were no longer required.. Looking forward to seeing more of this fabulous build!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The progress on this has been slow.

I have managed to get a little work done though and I have decided which color to use.

I found a jar of Xtracolor PRU Blue which I apparently used on on a Dædalus 1/72 S 31 build i did a long time ago. Had forgotten all about that and I think that color is spot on.

Here's where the build is at the moment

Air intake, radiators and camera insert are in place

S31-86.jpg

S31-87.jpg

The radiators are from the Daco improvement set.

The mesh in the air intake is Eduard etch, it's a bit rough bit it works.

S31-88.jpg

S31-89.jpg

I have also made the air intake for the cabin pressure system

S31-90.jpg

S31-91.jpg

Now it's ready to finally get into the paint box.

After that this one will be moved to the back burner for another project I'm going to build for the Swedish military GB

All masked up...

S31-92.jpg

S31-93.jpg

S31-94.jpg

...and primed with Mr. Surfacer 1000 (boy this stuff smells, good ventilation is a necessity)

I usely use alclad grey primer, but I've read it doesn't stick so well on resin.

S31-95.jpg

S31-96.jpg

S31-97.jpg

The primer shows all the faults and there's quite a lot of them. Back to filling and sanding :fraidnot:

Glad to see you back at this one. Like the cockpit mask :lol:

Thanks, I find it easier to mask an open cockpit with evergreen then using tape.

This build is however put on hold now to make room for a J 26 Mustang build over at the Swedish Military GB.

//Johan

• 3 months later...

Now when Airfix has released their quite good looking Spitfire PR.XIX, I reckon it's high time to get this build of the table.

It has taken several sessions of primer, puttying, sanding and rescribing panel lines to get things in shape.

Particulary difficult has the wings from the Heritage Aviation Kit been. There's a lot of pinholes and airblisters to fill plus a lot of the details from the Academy kit wing they copied that's not supposed to be there show through.

S31-98_zps7ac10c94.jpg

S31-99_zps16342812.jpg

After yet another priming and sanding session it looked like this

The variation in the grey is beacuse i used alclad grey primer over mr.surfacer

S31-100_zpsf2d141fe.jpg

S31-101_zpsf08e6487.jpg

S31-102_zps191ac2b3.jpg

S31-103_zps7c38adbd.jpg

The areas behind the canopy reqired a bit more attension to get a satisfactory result.

The model is now (hopefully) ready for the top cote of xtracolors pru blue X8

S31-104_zpsda98bdc9.jpg

S31-105_zps35ab3b1b.jpg

A Q to all of you spitfire experts out there: what would the most likely color be in the wheel wells and inside of the gear door, interior green or pru blue?

//Johan

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally gotten around to get some paint on this one.

But first i added theese little pe buggers, the hooks for the belly tank. They managed to ping of my tweezers into orbit a few times, luckily i had som pe sets for other spits with the same bits on.

S31-106_zpsc4d7a58d.jpg

And a little preshading, though not much of it will be visable after th top cote is on

S31-107_zps8e8acc37.jpg

Painted with xtracolor PRU blue X8

S31-108_zps139b8c1d.jpg

S31-109_zps2e36e81e.jpg

Unfortunaly there aren't any good decals available for swedish PR.XIX spitfires yet.

Airfix has made a good try but managed to get the colors of the crownmarkings totaly wrong and flying colours aerodecals are no better being wrong in size as well.

Fortunally there are decals on the horizon that will be correct in every way, but they are not ready for print just yet.

Until the new decals arrive i have done some work on what i can in the meantime.

Wheels and landing gears painted and weathered

S31-110_zpsd7d5eb0a.jpg

S31-111_zpsc8bf310e.jpg

The metal landing gears come from the Daco detail/correction set which have the correct lenght for weighted landing gears and the wheels are ultracast offerings.

To get the flat spot on the tires in the correct place i used this rather hightech approach

S31-112_zpse4ef946c.jpg

I've also managed to paint the squadron color and white stripe on the spinner, but i see i have to do some touchups there.

The tail wheel painted.

S31-113_zps89925cf0.jpg

Also added some brakelines from eduard to the main wheels

S31-114_zps68c1cb2e.jpg

And like bambi here it is on it's legs for the first time, note that the landing gears are only dry fitted for now.

S31-115_zpsd055d988.jpg

S31-116_zpsd7f737a8.jpg

S31-117_zpsbda19985.jpg

to be continued

• 1 year later...

Time to resurrect this build from the dead.

With the release of the very nice S 31 decals from RBD decals there's no excuse to finish this build.

S31-118_zps27d1b55e.jpg

I wasn't entirely happy with the look of the spinner, especially the painted white line, which you now get as a decal instead.

So the spinner was stripped and repainted and I think I got a better hue of blue this time around.

S31-119_zps3426dfcf.jpg

S31-120_zpsa55e5632.jpg

Then the walkways was masked and painted black.

S31-121_zps7af0e766.jpg

S31-122_zpsed02a56b.jpg

After that the entire model got sprayed with future in preparation for decals.

/Johan

Edited by flarpen