1/48 Spitfire PR.XIX (SwAF S 31)

Hi, this is my first WIP here on Britmodeller

I,m going to try to build a 1/48 scale Spitfire PR.XIX, also known as S 31 in the Swedish AF

This is what i have to work with:

S31-1.jpg

Academy Mk.XIVc

Heritage Aviation PR.XIX

Aeroclub Mk.21 conversion

Daco Producs Mk.XIV improvement set

Aires Mk.XIV cockpit set

Quick Boost nose and spinner plus eduard detail set and ultracast wheels

After reading several forum discussions and build threads, it seams that the main fault with the academy kit is the shape of the nose and that the fuselage generally is to deep, otherwise i think the kit looks good.

After comparing with drawings i think that that's the case.

S31-2.jpg

Aeroclub's Mk.21 conversion looks spot on in form, but i think that the panel lines are on the soft side and the casting is generally a bit crude (being a short run kit), so the plan is to use the Academy kit for this project. It would be a shame just to throw it away. The aeroclub set will come in handy in an other build.

The Daco Production improvement set corrects the most obvious faults with the academy kit, with a replacement nose and spinner among other things.

I will use the wing and lower fuselage camera insert from the Heritage Aviation kit, which will save me a bit of work not having to convert the Academy wing (i hope, the casting of the HA's wing isn't the best).

S31-3.jpg

The Quick Boosts nose doesn't seem to correct what is wrong with the academy kit (being about 2mm to deep), so i wont be using that.

to be continued

//Johan

• Like 1

Looking forward to this one! Late Mk. Spitfires are very interesting aircraft, considering the rapid evolution of the Spitfire family! Looks like you have some good aftermarket there and a good kit as well! Watching!

Erik

Thanks guys

A bit of progress has been made.

Fitting of the Heritage Aviation PR.XIX wing

The general fit is quite good. Actually it's better than with their own fuselage.

S31-4.jpg

The only real issue is that the wing is a bit to wide

S31-5.jpg

And comparing with scale drawings it needs to be trimmed a bit

S31-6.jpg

S31-7.jpg

With that done and the trailing edge thinned down, the fit is spot on.

S31-8.jpg

S31-9.jpg

The camera insert also fits without much hassle.

S31-10.jpg

Now i need to clean up the wing, the casting isn't the best. There are a lot of pinholes in the front edge of the wing and the wheel wells needs a bit of attention to.

But on the plus side you do get all of the XIX bumps and blisters and you don't have to get rid of all the cannon details compared to if you use the academy wing.

Chris, how is the fit of the daco nose?

Anything i need to look out fore?

Stay tuned

Johan

• Like 1

Work on the Spitfire is slowly progressing

The front have been sawed off to make room fore the new Daco replacement.

S31-11.jpg

Some minor adjustments was needed to make the new nose fit, but with some work it fits nicely.

S31-12.jpg

With the new nose the shape of the model is vastly improved.

S31-13.jpg

Some adjustments of the fuselage is necessary to get a correct PR.XIX

The entry hatch is glued in place and blended together with the fuselage.

The rear part of the cockpit opening is extended a little bit aft and the step is removed to make it line up with the forward sliding part. The rear fixed portion of the canopy was bigger on the PR.XIX

The opening for the side looking camera has been drilled out and the panel lines for the hatch has been scribed. The hatch on the opposite side has also been scribed and panel lines that is wrong for the type has been removed.

S31-14.jpg

S31-15.jpg

S31-16.jpg

S31-17.jpg

next up, the cockpit.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Work on the spitfire have progressed.

The Aires Cockpit has been painted with White Ensigns British interior grey-green.

All the details are painted. The cockpit is weathered accordingly (a light wash, dry-brushing and flat coated). I have also managed to apply a few cockpit placards and instrument faces from airscale.

Here is the left hand side with a few alterations to the Aires pit: All details where the entry hatch used to be is scratched, the oxygen bottles that where molded in are removed and replaced with new details.

Also the control box below the trim wheel is a new item and wiring from led wires.

S31-28.jpg

S31-29.jpg

The right hand side. Some alterations to the Aires pit had to be done here as well. Everything that is located at the top is scratched and the fuel booster pump box in the center is also a new item.

S31-30.jpg

And the "floor". Here is everything from Aires untouched except from a small addition from Eduard. The rudder pedals and control stick has yet to be installed.

S31-31.jpg

The rear pressure bulkhead is a entirely scratched item.

S31-32.jpg

The IP is as good as finished. The camera control box is made from sprue.

S31-35.jpg

S31-36.jpg

The chair has also received it's share of paint and weathering. I've tried to get the feel of worn leather on the backrest, i think it came out ok. Unfortunately it doesn't show up as good in the pictures.

S31-34.jpg

The clear gel container on the rear of the bulkhead is made from clear sprue and the fixings is from leftover PE.

S31-37.jpg

This looks to get a bit fiddly, the seat belts from HGW is the next challenge.

S31-38.jpg

I'm also gonna try to make the oxygen hose for the pilot, but i have a problem whit this. I don't have any good reference material on how that is connected in the aircraft. All i can tell is that it emerges from behind the seat on the right hand side.

If anyone has any info or pictures on where the hose goes i would appreciate that, otherwise i suppose I'll just have to make an educated guess.

//Johan

• Like 1

Thanks for your support guys.

I've made some progress.

The seat harness is assembled and the lap belts have been installed.

S31-39.jpg

The shoulder belts will be installed later when everything is in place. I had to make a slight modification to it thou, the attachment point to the bulkhead were taken from an Eduard seatbelt.

S31-40.jpg

The oxygen hose has also been installed. It's still quite vague were it goes but you can't see much of it anyway so i wont bother whit it.

S31-41.jpg

All the major components have been installed. Note that the shoulder harness is only loosely put in place to give an idea of how it will look.

S31-42.jpg

S31-43.jpg

S31-44.jpg

Next up are the three oxygen bottles behind the seat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The oxygen tanks are done.

They are made from the kits tanks which had to be cut down a bit plus a third that is made from sprue that luckily had the same diameter.

I also managed to make some decals for the tanks.

S31-45.jpg

S31-46.jpg

With some added details they are ready for installation.

S31-47.jpg

After a bit of fiddeling here they are in place

S31-48.jpg

And the seat harness could be installed as well.

S31-49.jpg

S31-50.jpg

to be continued....

Johan

Edited by flarpen
  • Like 1

Awesome work on the cockpit! Looking forward to seeing more.

How did you make the decals for the tanks with white writing? In the past I have done this using clear decal sheet, and printed a black box with the text in it (clear), and put this over a white undercoat.

Snyggt :yikes:

Very nice.

I really like the oxygen tanks.

Job well done

/Bosse

Tackar Bosse. Thanks a bunch

Awesome work on the cockpit! Looking forward to seeing more.

How did you make the decals for the tanks with white writing? In the past I have done this using clear decal sheet, and printed a black box with the text in it (clear), and put this over a white undercoat.

Thanks Ben

I made it much the same way, simply made a textbox in word with a black background and white text which i then printed on white decalpaper, i used size 3 on the text. It turned out resonebly well i think.

Knowing John Adams and Spits(especially a 21)that conversion fuselage will be the

most accurate in the world.Period.

I agree, the aeroclub conversion is a gem.

Some progress on the spit.

To try and do something about there not being anything behind the camera windows I've tried to simulate the cameras in an as easy way as possible. Nothing of this will be ever be seen from the outside except for the camera lenses, so i haven't made any effort to make it look good.

A structure made of PC to secure the cameras to is in place.

The camera window is made from clear plastic from the box that the Aires pit came in.

S31-51.jpg

Added some details to the outside of the camera window.

S31-52.jpg

Alignments for the down looking cameras added. This will also work as something to attach those camera windows to.

S31-53.jpg

Looks a little better with some paint on it

S31-54.jpg

The camera objectives are made from brass tubing of different sizes.

The camera "body" is from stock resin just to act as a lid on the tubing and something to attach the tubes to the model

S31-55.jpg

With some paint it doesn't look to bad

Since there is no landing lights in the wings on the PR XIX, I used the kit lenses for those to act as camera lenses instead for the down looking cameras. The lens for the side looking camera is from clear sprue sanded and polished.

S31-56.jpg

Here how it looks in place.

S31-57.jpg

S31-58.jpg

Now there's just some minor things left then i can assemble the fuselage halves.

/Johan

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi

It's been a while since i last updated this thread. It's not lack of progress on the build.

Here is what has happened.

A first aid kit is added in the cockpit.

S31-59.jpg

Rear wheel well details added

S31-60.jpg

With those things done i could finely close up the fuselage

S31-61.jpg

When that was done i could add the final details in the cockpit

S31-62.jpg

S31-63.jpg

From the underside

S31-64.jpg

/Johan

• Like 1

A bit more progress

The "floor" in the cockpit is done and installed

S31-65.jpg

S31-66.jpg

What has taken up most of my time is the vacformed canopy from falcon.

It's been quite a hassle to get it to fit somewhat satisfactory. They are not really meant to fit the academy kit.

Added canopy framing on the aft and fwd sections

S31-67.jpg

S31-69.jpg

The rear section finely mounted after some trials. Still it left a step to the rear of the canopy that had to be filled up.

S31-68.jpg

The windscreen in its place. I've also added the sliding canopy rails that goes on the outside of the cockpit sides.

S31-70.jpg

To get the windscreen to fit you need to add a piece of pc at the front part of the cockpit as the opening on the academy kit is to far fwd to the real thing.

I made the gel container that keeps the moisture out of the canopy from the academy kit canopy.

S31-71.jpg

This is how it looks like in place when closed

S31-72.jpg

And open (which is the way it's going to be)

S31-73.jpg

Also manged to add the heater exhaust on top of the fuselage

S31-74.jpg

I'm still not 100% satisfied, but it will have to do.

In the pictures the canopies look quite smudgy, but that is after all the handling of the parts and will be polished clean later.

Stay tuned

Johan

• Like 1